3 speed Elgin Velocipede 1934

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
SB I know it's been cold up there, but I'm dying to hear words of progress on your builds especially this one. It's not weather here but various virus based illness' which has hit the local population and the workers in the shop. The Old guy is the only one not effected to this point, but I'm not able to point and shoot (assign someone) to fab a part or weld. It's up to me & I'm not going to break any speed records doing it for customers or myself.

Keep us informed of your ideas, plans & recollections when time is available. Spring is coming & building follows! Rick C.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you for your interest in this build. It sits in my apartment next to the picture window and is something I look at daily. So far this winter the looking has not translated into much action, but as you say spring is just around the corner (in my part of the world it is a big corner) and with the days getting longer in daylight thoughts turn to melting icicles, receding snow pack and riding weather.

Tinsmith's copper gas tank is sitting in place and I have made an all copper set of handlebars which are not yet soldered. Major things still to do are fabricating the manual hand clutch for engaging the engine drive and coming up with a replacement carburetor which is not easy to find on a vintage British engine. Lots of other small things need attention including brake, clutch and throttle cables, a keyed drop stand catch, wiring and switches for head and tail lights. It isn't all that far from being a runner and may very well see it's first ride this summer. I'm anxious to see how it handles with Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog's sidecar attached (made from a vintage baby buggy).
SB

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]...vintage baby carriage for sidecar! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]That would add even more style to your motorcycle, Silver!
Nice idea to use copper tubes/pipes for steering handles. Could be used for some other details, too - not so expensive for smaller quantity, but quite stylish...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran [/FONT]

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Now that's my kind of art can't easily ride a vase or a painting & I agree with Zoran stylish!
Stay warm and safe while you ponder the next stroke on your art collection. Rick C.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Thank you for your interest in this build. It sits in my apartment next to the picture window and is something I look at daily. So far this winter the looking has not translated into much action, but as you say spring is just around the corner (in my part of the world it is a big corner) and with the days getting longer in daylight thoughts turn to melting icicles, receding snow pack and riding weather.

Tinsmith's copper gas tank is sitting in place and I have made an all copper set of handlebars which are not yet soldered. Major things still to do are fabricating the manual hand clutch for engaging the engine drive and coming up with a replacement carburetor which is not easy to find on a vintage British engine. Lots of other small things need attention including brake, clutch and throttle cables, a keyed drop stand catch, wiring and switches for head and tail lights. It isn't all that far from being a runner and may very well see it's first ride this summer. I'm anxious to see how it handles with Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog's sidecar attached (made from a vintage baby buggy).
SB
Silverbear! I still have a Villiers cab here that I was going to send to you. With everything that's been happening here over the past few months I completely forgot about it. I shall do my best to get it properly packed as soon as I can and take it down to the local post office for a postage quote.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The nice comments make me want to get going on the bike, so thank you! And Anne, thank you so much for offering the Villiars carb. And nice to think that you will be a part of this build. Sending a PM.
SB

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
The nice comments make me want to get going on the bike, so thank you! And Anne, thank you so much for offering the Villiars carb. And nice to think that you will be a part of this build. Sending a PM.
SB
Let me know if you are coming up short on the carb parts. I bought a second one for some spares and won't be using everything. Of course not everything is perfect which is why I bought it in the first place but if it helps then it's yours.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm impressed with the thoughtfulness & generosity of Anne & Mr. B, quite in keeping with the vintage tradition of proper bicycling enthusiasts...good manners & kindness are never tiresome! Rick C.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I agree Rick! The camaraderie at this site drew my interest from the very beginning. Hopefully old SB will have her up and running this spring.

Dan

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have long maintained that ours is the best forum on the internet. Much credit must go to our moderators and to Paul for insisting upon civility and for setting a tone of helpfulness. In the end it is the very fine people who post here who make this a special place, a "home away from home".

Harold, thank you for your very kind and generous offer. You and Anne are both credits to our membership.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When I look at the other the other forum which isn't very often, though that's where I started out, I'm so glad that someone put up a link to this forum.

Where else could someone on the West Coast of Canada meet someone in the north woods of Minnesota through someone in Australia who posted a thread about sidecars. So was born The Bike Camp in the Birches by the Lake.

Your going by on your way to the East Coast to visit your son? Stop in and say Hello said the Silverbear. I still remember pulling in and a woman walking down the lane way asking me what I wanted and after telling her who I was I met your wonderful sister in law Lu telling me that your brother Jon and everyone was at a BBQ at a neighbours and invited me to come along. So many fantastic people who have become close personal friends that I look forward to seeing every year.

So much has been shared by this fortunate meeting. Hundreds of emails,thousands of ideas and many builds and one wonderful friendship shared over many miles of road.

I am indeed honoured to be part of this.

Who else would trade motors and parts freely but members of this wonderful forum without regard for personal profit. I salute you all for your generosity

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
As Silverbear said this forum is based on civility and the freedom of speech until it gets out of hand and then there is a quiet emailed warning and if it doesn't stop then you get the Say good night Gracie.

Rarely is anyone banned because the members appreciate what they have .

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
It was my good fortune that you stopped by, i can say the same. You two called me up and stopped by on your way to Hastings, to pick up your motor. Got to spend all day, what a fun day lots of fellowship...............Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear,

Funny isn't it how a few days stretched into a month full of plotting, planning and building.
We aren't part of planning our destiny but we are condemned to live it. Worked out rather well I'd say.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Curt,

How well I remember stopping to pick your up and meeting you lovely wife and son. We toured your shop and then we headed out to meet Dave Bagne. What a special afternoon that was sitting there talking to him and seeing all the one of a kind motor bikes he had and the replica car he was building.

Dave is one of the premier scooter and motorbike restorers in the world. He suffered a devastating fire that destroyed a large part of his collection as well as his workshop and storage.

Silverbear and I purchased two Sachs 98cc motors from him and a Villiers 98cc that we have traded back and forth a few times and Silverbear now has in the Elgin Velocipede. A fitting home for it.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Steve,

That opened up a new can of worms for me, seeing all that good stuff. And what a KOOL car he was doing. I have sorta hole new shop now, with cleaning and rearranging, new bench. Makes me feel better and more efficient i hope, everything labeled and easy to find..........Curt