100:1 Mix

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Retmachinist, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

I've looked at the RT carb. and I can make that choke a manual choke pretty easy, I cant remember exactly what my plan was but I remember that I saw how it could be done without to much trouble even if I had to build a new block off plate to relace the one that comes in it.

Shan

2. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

There's a thread on this carb but I'll share this here.
    Just remove the return spring and file off the little 'leg' that engages the choke plate. Install a compression spring where the original spring used to be to add friction and now you'll have a manual choke. I did this to one but the others I left the 'auto' choke operative. I don't see a lot of difference.
    Now back to the 100:1 subject.
    Tom

3. ToxicAz520

ToxicAz520 New Member

I have been running opti now for a while in my new build. I started it first time with break in with the opti runs great. I just put on a sbp expansion pipe and had to go back to the original jet cause it looked to be running lean now. I will now more tomarrow after tuning the pipe and test runs with plug chops.

The two plug chops I did first one with a 68 jet looked to lean then put the original jet back in and it almost looked the same but a tad darker to me. If that is to lean I just got a sodler gun and a mini dril bit set with handdrill from hf and i will use that starting on the #70 first.

4. Dymaxion

Dymaxion New Member

Since opti had been working well in my bike, I just put the same opti-2 mix into my gas hedge trimmer. Seems to run smoother than before, but time will tell. I'd love to end up with only one gas can in my garage for the various 2 smokers. My only hesitation is my chainsaw; I will have to screw up my courage for that one.

Frankly, I was of the snake oil opinion, but it really does seem to be working well so far. I'll be totally sold after several more months of running.

5. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

Opti 2 will work fine in your chain saw, I have a 1983 poulan 3700 that runs better on opti than any other oil. I have never had the head off of this saw and cut fire wood every year with it. I run it at 70 to 1.

6. decoherence

decoherence New Member

i have been using opti-2 for about 3 tanks @ 72:1.

my spark plug looks a little gooky to i think i will move to 100:1

i use to peddle half a block to get it started.
    now i can start it between 1-4 car lengths. depending how warm it is outside.

7. Dymaxion

Dymaxion New Member

I have noticed that as well. I used to get a heck of a work out getting the bike started and needed full choke. Now I have actually started it without even being on the bike - just pushing it next to me and poping the clutch while pushing down on the seat. You have to be fast getting the clutch engaged again as soon as it starts, but I could NEVER have done that before. Also, I do not need the choke to start most times.

I am only one tank into Opti-2 on a new top end, so the choke issue may change when I tune it up in a few more tanks.

8. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

The thinner oil ratio Me thinks ran your alls carb richer in fuel. If the fuel is thinner you are running richer because viscosity wise the fluid moves through the carb jet orifice easer. There a few ways and reasons how to tune a carb.

9. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Active Member

I can start mine by just spinning the wheel - one pull with the tire off the ground and it fires up. Used to take a few pulls on dino.

10. mapbike

mapbike Active Member

Correct-a-mundo GH!

All mine were on the rich side after switching to Opti2 at 1.8oz per gallon of gas, but not super rich, just slightly, was fixed by just dropping my needle one notch if I remember right...... been a while now so I cant swear I didnt reduce jet size also..... things kinda running together here lately......LOL!

Peace

#790 mapbike, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  11. Dymaxion

Dymaxion New Member

A few pages back, I mentioned that my local Tractor Supply stores have a product called "Arnold 1" 2-cycle oil in 1.8oz packets made by interlube that looked suspiciously like opti-2. I had picked up a pack and now needed to mix some gas so I emailed interlube and asked. They confirmed it is the exact same as opti-2, just private labeled to Arnold. So for those that cant find Opti2 at your local shop, try TSC.

#791 Dymaxion, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  12. Fulltimer

Fulltimer New Member

Good information! Thanks for the post.

Terry

13. Don P

Don P Member

Hi all
    well i am on my 5th tank of opti 2 mix 100:1.
    I was out riding 2 days ago, it was hot i mean HOT 99deg with a 90% humidity giving a real feel of 119deg.
    I was in stop and go traffic so i was giving my little 66cc no quarter riding hard, and this engine was getting hot and it started to run better and better. after i got to friends house and hung out for a couple of hours i went to start it to go home and i did not use the choke so i had to peddle a bit to get it started,and man what compression. i wish i had a compression gage, and check compression on a new engine and the compression now.
    if you read opti 2 info it states the opti 2 uses heat to reform the metal of a engine or to smooth it out so i am sure this is what opti 2 has done, used the heat to seat my rings. This engine is a strong runner now. long live opti 2

14. LS614

LS614 New Member

I'm so glad that's how your story ended. I was waiting for the bad story about explosions or seizing. I love Opti-2 too! Long live a wonderful product!

15. Don P

Don P Member

LS614 i am not sure if my engine would have made it through that day in heavy traffic if i was running any thing but opti 2.

#795 Don P, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  16. LS614

LS614 New Member

I know, forget the haters, it's amazing stuff!

17. Don P

Don P Member

not haters! mentally challenged..duh. got to be crazy not to run opti 2. loldnut

18. Billy Thunder

Billy Thunder New Member

I get a kick out of this thread, returning to it every few months to 'catch up'.

I've been using Opti2 in all my two strokes for almost 20 YEARS!
    Chainsaws
    Weedeaters
    Pumps
    Boat motors,
    and now it is only natural that I run the gas bikes on it. I do the 'break in' and run on Opti2. I've broken in two bike motors with Opti2 - I just fill the tank and ride. No smoke, no special mixes, no oily exhaust.

PS - My boat motor has had a steady diet of Opti2 for about 15 years and I have never even looked at a spark plug. It still has the original factory plug! Why would I change it - it starts on the second or third pull, even at the begining of the season. Opti2 also has a fuel conditioner, so I don't waste last year's fuel, I use it.

19. maxsideburn

maxsideburn New Member

excellent. I'm about half way through my second tank. after that I'm switching to Opti2.

20. James912

James912 Member

I'll definitely try it. I'm using the Lusas semi-synthetinc low ash 2cycle oil. So far, i haven't had any issues. I had a leak occur between the intake and the carb, and gas and oil seeped out and got on my chin and sprocket. I noticed it keeps both lubed well. The oil and gas combination also helps to protect against dirt and grit. I did fix the leak but month or so, i check my chain and if needing lubing, i first pour gas on a rag and take the chain off and wipe it down and the sprocket and then lube the both with the oil using my index finger. works great.