"kindalikeawhizzer"

GoldenMotor.com

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Wow...all this work in winter time!
and i thought I was cold. Better put on my long Johns and get with it.
It all sounds good SB!

Ray

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You wear long johns in LA? I don't usually wear them until it gets to -10 or colder. I guess it depends on what you are used to. After a nice stretch of days at around 32 above it has dropped into the zero range and feels really cold even though that is normal for this time of year. In another month it will get into the -40 to -10 range and when it rises up to zero everybody comments on how nice the weather is. And in January if there's a day up around 32 degrees the local kids will be out running around in T shirts. It's all relative, I guess. Wherever you are, stay warm. And Annie, we're not worried about you since it is summer in NZ. Lucky you!
SB

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
That Sir is cold, I would never make it. We're in the 60*s! Burrrr!
How far is NZ from here....do they have Mexican food there?
Maybe some Chinese? Like egg rolls

Ray

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Steve,
I was looking at the Seal Sociable again (page 20, post 192 for photos) and really do like the side picture of the one in red. That could be narrowed up a bit to around 36" wide and a little shorter. How do you picture the front end? With a grill to look more like an automobile? For total weight of the Sociable including frame, body and seats what would be a reasonable weight? Could it be kept in the 100-125 pound range? You know more about wooden body construction than I do.

As a comparison I believe that a complete 17' Grumman is around 70 lbs. What we would use would be around 30-35 lbs worth of aluminum, then add the frame, seats, transom, dashboard and controls. I'm guessing it could weigh in the 100-125 lb range.

Tubular frame?
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ray,
You'd have to ask Annie about New Zealand cuisine. I have no idea.

The cold temperatures are not real fun, but with the right clothing and respect for sub zero temps it is all bearable. The hard part of winter here is not so much the intensity as it is the duration. First snow is usually around the 8th of October and last is in early to mid May. Ice forms on the lakes in early November and by this time of year you can drive a truck on it. Ice out is usually in early May, but sometimes is late. Swimming in early June is breathtaking! Summer is short, but a glory. Mid eighties is considered hot and ninety is keel over and die weather. Some people have air conditioning, but a lot don't. When it is hot you cool off in a lake and with over 12,500 of them in Minnesota there are lots of choices. Southern Minnesota is farm country like Iowa. Northern Minnesota is glacial forest like Canada. I'm about 30 miles from Canada and love my part of the world in spite of the long cold dark of winter. If you ever get up this way, let's go for a bike ride!
SB

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Ray,
You'd have to ask Annie about New Zealand cuisine. I have no idea.

The cold temperatures are not real fun, but with the right clothing and respect for sub zero temps it is all bearable. The hard part of winter here is not so much the intensity as it is the duration. First snow is usually around the 8th of October and last is in early to mid May. Ice forms on the lakes in early November and by this time of year you can drive a truck on it. Ice out is usually in early May, but sometimes is late. Swimming in early June is breathtaking! Summer is short, but a glory. Mid eighties is considered hot and ninety is keel over and die weather. Some people have air conditioning, but a lot don't. When it is hot you cool off in a lake and with over 12,500 of them in Minnesota there are lots of choices. Southern Minnesota is farm country like Iowa. Northern Minnesota is glacial forest like Canada. I'm about 30 miles from Canada and love my part of the world in spite of the long cold dark of winter. If you ever get up this way, let's go for a bike ride!
SB
Thank you Sir, I would like that.

Ray

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
New Zealand cuisine? Enjoying food from many countries is very much a normal thing here. Thai, Chinese and Indian restaurants are commonplace and even our little country town has an example of each. I'm a vegetarian who has always had exotic tastes and my daughter knows better than to investigate the snack foods with Indian writing on the packets that I get from the Indian supermarket down in the township. I like chilli, - my daughter does too, - only in her case it violently upsets her stomach so she has to avoid it. My favourite chocolate is a brand of Swiss chilli chocolate that our local supermarket stocks. It's my favourite treat I buy when I feel that I've been especially good :)

Our Summer weather is being somewhat odd as it's not especially hot, but the humidity is uncomfortably high which I don't like at all. I much prefer Autumn.

Those Peerless gearboxes certainly look interesting. Genuine classic British motorcycle gearboxes have become very expensive here when once upon a time $NZ30.00 would buy a complete one in reasonable order. I was checking on ebay and even with freight and the exchange rate I could buy a Peerless gearbox for a fifth of what an old classic motorcycle gearbox would cost me here. I can see I'm going to have to look into this :)

With my own Sociable project I'm planning on using the staggered seating layout that many cyclecars from the 1920's used...........

(My own wooden Carden cyclecar model)

......... which I think is the best way to approach fitting two human beings into what will be a smallish vehicle. I don't think my daughter will want to ride with me all that often, but it will be nice to have the option.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Silverbear,

It does have a certain allure doesn't it. This is what I came up with for a body style. I wanted to maximize the foot area so there is room for pedals and everything that goes with them. It could be narrowed in on the sides if need be but not a lot.
The original had what looked like a beak for a front end to me and at the same time when I built the model with a more conventional car type hood I wondered if the visibility directly in front of the tri car was obscured.

Length and width can be determined as you would like it.

I am ahead of you with the tube frame. I have bent some tubing and am waiting until the weather clears up and I feel like welding it up before I showed anyone. Thinking it over I want to get some 1-1/4" square tubing since it is easier to weld and weld to being square.

Let me know what you think.

Steve

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/speedydick/library/Sociable tri car

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ray,
I thought of you this morning when I saw the thermometer says it is seventeen below zero. Didn't take the wonder dog long to do her business when I let her out just now. Where's me long johns? With a wind kicking up the windchill is to make it feel like thirty below, so I imagine I'll be hanging close to the wood stove today. I was wondering if I preheated a can of spray paint what painting a frame outside would be like. Freeze dried paint. Would it make a crackle paint job? Pebbly? I may try it on fenders some time. Inquiring minds want to know!
SB

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Annie,
Cuisine? Here at the Roadkill Cafe a successful meal is determined by not being hungry anymore. As fasteddy can attest from his time here during Motorbicycling Summer Camp (for boys who never grew up) as far as memorable meals go a touch of Alzheimers helps the medicine go down. No food poisoning so far so compliments to the chef (that's me). Steve always gives compliments, even while choking, since he knows that if he complains about the cooking then he gets to be chef.

Yes, that's the offset tandem arrangement I was picturing. And in my case leave a wee spot open behind the driver's seat for the wonder dog. The other option is to do a bench seat full width of 36" assuming that most of the time it would be just me and the dog and once in awhile my grand daughter. And put a package tray behind the bench seat. You did a nice job on the cyclecar model.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Steve,
Funny how the one in the picture with red paint, nice upholstery and a motorcycle attached looks more promising than your cardboard model. Not that cardboard isn't nice, mind you, it just takes a more vigorous imagination to picture yourself riding around in it even with a cardboard cut out of a smiling lady passenger. But if I squint some I can see it. (She just gave me a wink!) Thanks for taking the trouble to make it.

I'd say skip the door and give it a step. Keep it simple. This is beginning to sound expensive with the square tubing as opposed to found stuff, the Luann plywood and metal sheathing. Do you have an idea of what it might cost? Don't buy anything yet... let us think this through since we have lots of time before even the bike is running. And lots of other expenses in finishing up the tri-car, Velocipede and kindalikeawhizzer. My budget is lacking in elasticity, what budget there is. Thinking about it is free, however, which is a good thing else we would both be in debtor's prison.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I just got word back from an ebay seller (small engine parts seller) answering my question of whether or not the nova II module would be compatible with the Tecumseh H5. He says no and gave a link for the points and condensor. By the time I got this kind of late response I had already ordered one from Amazon. Oh well, I can use it for something else at some point.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Maybe some one else would know more but i think he is wrong. They are suppose to work with any engine that has points. I have used them on Briggs and a weed eater, and i know they use them on garden tractors in garden tractor pulls. ...............Curt

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Curt,
I didn't check to see if the points and condenser was his listing, but if it was I bet it was for a good bit more money. One way to tell for sure if it does or does not work with the H5 is to try it out. From what else I've read it seems like it should work.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Anne,

The old bear doth protest just a bit to much about the quality of his cooking. It's excellent and the only reason he insists on cooking is he's afraid to try mine. The fact that I served a three year apprenticeship in the kitchens of the finest private club in Canada at the time has been carefully kept away from him until now.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Steve,
Congratulations on having been elected to the esteemed position of 2015 Cook Of The Year for summer camp. We have voted unanimously (bear and dog) and now you are It.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
If I'd known that a smiling young lady would have helped with the image of the sidecar I'd have made it bigger and put my nieces old Barbie and Ken dolls in it so you could have gotten a better feel for it.

As for the cost it's to small to worry about really. I have the wood for framing the body and the luan plywood sitting here gently aging. The tubing for the frame of the sidecar is around $30 and the and the metal covering is maybe another $50 searching the scratch and dent pile at the metal suppliers and $75 dollars if I can't find any.

The top is just bending some 3/4" conduit if you want one and you'll have to sew up a top. Can I do it for cheap money. The side car on the Monark cost $50.00 without figuring in the cost of the tea consumed while creatively staring and building.

Please make all necessary adjustments and include all desired measurements (The sidecars, not the passengers) to the plans that have been sent and and sign and return then them as soon as possible so so parts procurement can start for an early summer delivery.

Steve.