"kindalikeawhizzer"

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Maybe you shouldn't talk too much about hanging out in a glacial forest, cooking, building MBs and thinking about girls.

You might get a pilgrimage of MBers so large that a county or two sinks beneath the waves of Lake Superior.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Curt,
I didn't check to see if the points and condenser was his listing, but if it was I bet it was for a good bit more money. One way to tell for sure if it does or does not work with the H5 is to try it out. From what else I've read it seems like it should work.
SB
My Briggs 80202-0430 3 hp, I got purring again for trail riding. As for the points it might be the same points Briggs type I bought at local Yard Birds for $11 USD and CA tax. I could have gone to OSH and bought a knock off. Even with origonal Briggs parts, I found the points still did not line up good. I took a soda can and shimmed it up to line up perfect.

Hey...Be sure the flywheel key is not worn, I bone head did notice and thought it looked OK enough. Under no kick back as I fixed everything it sheared under normal stress running no load as it was compromised from when valves were out of timing and it got a little stressed.

Never had a carb issue with idling, old carb works fine even without any adjustment available on the fixed cheapo. Keep a keen eye on the soft aluminum flywheel key anytime you have it apart! My glad I finally figured it out! No wet air filter with oil or fuel all fixed up!

Post 184 and 185 on Page 19 of my thread Re: Art Fish Mobile Motor Bike prior Motor Bike DIY'er build to add side car maybe?

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=590346#post590346

MT

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Concerning the Nova SB, I more commonly installed them on point model B&S and older handheld 2strokes that the points/condensers were obsolete. Seems I do remember installing a few on TroyBuilt tillers with the Tecumseh engines. Like you say give it a try, cant hurt it. Theres a lot to say about the old points system, its pretty reliable. I used to tour with a friend that rode an old Honda 500 4cylinder. Asked him why he had not installed one of the many electronic ignitions that were available. Answer was if he had an issue he could always get it going easily with a few basic parts he carried. Made me a bit nervous on my fuel injected, electronic ignited BMW!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bluegoat,
It would be a welcome thing to have you or other forum members show up to say hi at Motorbicycle Summer Camp (for boys who never grew up). Just down the road from me is a beautiful state park called Bear Head Lake State Park with campsites and also spots for motor homes. Nice beach, boat launch. clear water lake dotted with islands and game fish in the water. Plus a wonderful road through the forest between there and my place about five miles away which is perfect for motored bike riding.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app&gws_rd=ssl#q=bear+head+lake+state+park

SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
MT,
Thanks for the video link. Looks like you have your Briggs running nicely.

CB2,
Good to know about the Tecumseh stock ignition being reliable. My NovaII module arrived in the mail today. When the time comes to fire up the Tecumseh it will first be with the stock ignition. If all is well, I may leave it alone. I don't believe this engine has seen a whole lot of use even though it dates back to the 1970's or maybe early 80's and came off of a snow blower my brother bought at a farm auction in Iowa. Having been used on a farm and in Iowa and not Minnesota, I'm guessing it was used for clearing pathways too small for a tractor to deal with. When I used it a few years ago it did not seem to be burning oil. I suspect it has a lot of life in it yet and as I've mentioned I have a spare just like it I got from Curtis Fox. I've cleaned up the carbon deposits with Marvel Mystery Oil and paper towels.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Fasteddy,
Not meaning to be anti-sociable, but we won't be building one for the "Kindalikeawhizzer". As you know, two years ago I applied for low income housing in Ely, the town nearest to me. At that time I was seventh in line for the apartment complex I wanted and I have learned in the last couple days that I am next in line.

Not that I really want to move into town, but I have to be realistic about my situation. I'll be seventy soon and don't own the property my trailer is parked on. It is my brother's and he is older than me and even older than you. When he passes I doubt his wife will want to keep the place, so I needed to make contingency plans to avoid becoming homeless or moving in with family members which I don't want to do. Until that time comes I will continue to spend summers out here in the forest and bike camp will continue as it has. But winters will be in town, maybe as soon as next winter.

One thing that means is that a third of my income goes to the apartment which will not leave much money for discretionary spending, like for motorbike parts. And I need to be realistic about where all of these bikes are going to go. A sociable is not going to tuck into a small space. And I already have a bike with sidecar, a tri-car which is nearly done and has a big footprint, a delta trike we started building last summer, the Velocipede and the Kindalikeawhizzer. I can beg some space in my son's garage and stow a couple bikes in my trailer, but I think adding a Sociable into the mix is not a good idea.

Much as I'd like to do it, I'm going to leave that to someone else. Perhaps from our having talked about it here on this thread someone else has seen the possibilities and is making plans. I hope so.

That does not mean that this bike is not going to be built. It will and could be that it will be on the road this summer. I think it's going to be a great bike both to ride and to look at. I want to bump this one ahead of the delta trike. Not a lot left on the tri-car or the Velocipede and if I keep making headway on this build, maybe when bike camp opens it won't need all that much more. I'm already excited about bike camp 2015. And nice to know there will be a real chef. Woohoo!
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dan,
I concur; it is beautiful. I love my part of the world and consider myself a lucky fellow to be here. When I go for a motor bike ride with Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog riding alongside me in her canoe sidecar, our destination is usually to the state park or one of the other lakes nearby. The road is smooth asphalt with a 30mph limit and slower yet when at the park. The route passes through old growth white pine and paper birch trees and along the way are several lakes to pass by. I always see wild life if only loons, bald eagles or turtles laying eggs alongside the road. White tailed deer are common, moose less so, black bears sometimes and occasionally a grey wolf. One summer a red fox got interested in Aaniimoosh and upon hearing the motorbike would come to the roadside to watch her pass by. I always wondered what he thought of our being there. What did he make of it? Maybe he was just thinking, "what a babe!" Ha. If you ever get up this way, we'll go for a bike ride, eh?
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
SB, what a fantastic place to not grow up. I didn't grow up in far less beauty. I've always wanted to join you both at camp! Hate to miss a good party or learning opportunity.

Moving to town sounds like quite an adjustment for a next adventure. Maybe sell some kit bikes to supplement excursions? Would keep the grease under the nails, fresh. (mine were clean today and about drove me crazy)

New chapters can be good and I sincerely, sincerely wish yours the best.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Anti, anti sociable you aren't. What great news about the apartment. You have that for a back up and as long as the property and the trailer are there you have a summer home as well. The cost of the sociable was never a concern since I was buying the parts anyway and the cost is low but given that you may well be storing them in your sons garage where there are only so many spaces available is a consideration.

I agree that this summers bike camp (for boys who never grow up) should be devoted to getting everything finished off that has been started. Given my health problems I don't know when the last one is either. Heck my 103 year old mother can move faster than I can but it is an inconvenience at the worst and a reminder of what a great life it has been at the best. :)
I started out on life's trip with the intention that I'd slide into the last moments sideways looking like a well used tooth paste tube and telling every one with time or interest what a great trip it was and all the marvelous people I met along the way.

The Sociable will indeed be built or at least a sidecar resembling one. I purchased most of the needed materials to build one yesterday. I'm not going to put it on a bike. It will be a smaller scale sidecar, only to give the fit and feel of the real thing. Perhaps we will in future years do the real one but I just have a desire to fool with it to see what it looks like.
As a friend of mine many years ago said when it was mentioned that he was drinking far to much, "I'll quit, just as soon as I feel a need to".

Steve

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
SB

I always wondered where Point Place was, ya know I watched the 70's show when it aired. Maybe your in a more remote area than that. Kenosha da big city what your looking for?

As for my Briggs, maybe it has a sort of Birthday. It has been maybe 10 years after it was saved from someone not willing to keep it at best. San Jose flea market project to a registered off road machine. The Burning Man Event mutant art vehicle for the California Sheepshead Fish cover, I can't say when. I need a place to live, work, and work on stuff determined to be NIMBY.

MT

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I don't know about Point Place and isn't Kenosha on the east coast? I don't know what NIMBY is either. Burning Man I've heard of, but don't like being around lots of people much. Don't have TV. Not much of a traveler if I can help it. My idea of an ideal trip is by boat or canoe with tent accommodations on an island and fish for supper.

No, I'm not interested in being in a big city, or for that matter any city. But I am interested in an easier winter where I don't have to haul my water and put up all of my firewood for heating. If an old fellow like me should slip and fall when it is 30 below that could be fatal. And I have a son and grand daughter living in my local town which is about 12 miles away on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness which is a million acres of interconnected lakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_Waters_Canoe_Area_Wilderness

Ely is a tourist town now that forestry and mining have had their hey day, but there is a library and hospital and most of the residents came here because of the lakes and wanting to be here. In many rural areas people are there by default. Most of the people here are by choice, which is nice, I think. Population swells in the summer with lake cabin people and tourists going on canoe trips and thins out in the winter when it is just us locals. I stay out of town in the summer, but if I ever get to where I can't be driving out to my place in the woods I can still ride one of my bikes to a large clear water lake on the edge of town with a city park, beach and such for a swim with the wonder dog. By east or west coast standards this area is pretty remote, I guess. There are two traffic lights in town, which is citified enough for me. No Walmart or fast food joints which also suits me fine. And I like going into stores where people know me by name and the local cops don't hassle an old fellow on a motorbike with a wonder dog in the sidecar. Suits me, but the forest is better yet where most of my neighbors have either four legs or feathers. Not a hermit, but lot's of elbow room and fresh air is good for the spirit. I don't think human beings do so well crammed into ant colonies in the daytime and with no view of an ink dark sky at night. If you can't see the stars how can you get your bearings? I think we lose some of our humanity when subjected to too much humanity. There are too many of us on the planet and we are the cancer making our mother earth sick.

Well I have certainly droned on into old man dithering. Forgive that, if you will. I'd rather chat about bicycles and motors and in general, amusing toys with wheels. Good morning, sir. I salute the day with an empty cup of coffee and wish you and our bicycle brethren (and sistren, Annie) a happy new year...
SB

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A man of means by all means! King of the MB road. (another silly parody coming, lol)

A summer & winter home. A professional chef and the Wonder Puppy! I wanna be you when I don't grow up!

"2 hours of turning wrench......" this could be good

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Happy new year, Dan.
Yes, there are different kinds of poor and different kinds of rich. I consider myself rich, but economically challenged. My old trailer isn't much, but it is shelter and my yard stretches all the way up into Ontario. About a football field's distance away is a thousand acre clear water lake I swim in with a bar of soap to keep me company on hot days in the summer. Shaving at the end of the dock with a Mallard family of ducklings swimming by is a special kind of richness money can't buy.
And any guy with a wife who loves him, little kids to read stories to, a dog or cat who thinks he is the greatest... is rich indeed. Eat your heart out, Donald Grump. And let me be the first to wish you a Merry Christmas in 2015, Dan. Ha!
SB

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Great way to begin the new calendar year reading the missives of the "The Elders" and be thankful to have been able to spend time with SB and FastEddy.. By the way Steve, I'm curious what kinda' toothpaste tube. I'm guessing Ipana!

Dan (Tinsmith) the other brother

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Brother Dan the Tinsmith,

I often wonder if a bunch of us had been born in the same town. Would we have been the ones that the adults referred to in a vague way as "That bunch" or perhaps worse. The guy's behind the exploding garbage cans and the cloud of motor bikes going down main street at perhaps an imprudent rate of speed.
I can guarantee you that every finger of guilt would have been pointed at me as the ring leader of the gang. :)

In the dwindling years we would have most certainly have been meeting at the local coffee shop for the morning get together and would be complaining about "That bunch". who ride their skate boards on the side walk and almost hit one or two of us the other day.

It would be Ipana. In honor of Bucky Beaver.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Brother Dan The Younger,

My heritage is Scottish as far back as being part of the reason Hadrian built his wall. Our name as originally spelt was Scot's Gaelic for Son of Little Saint. Somebody pulled the wool over someones eyes all those centuries ago.
In my lifetime the only person to make oat meal resemble anything even close to food is the old Bear himself.

He cooks and I weld. I do it and feel honor to do it for anyone who can make wallpaper paste edible and enjoyable. Anyone can weld and so few can make oatmeal palatable.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard). It is hard to work where people are on your case about working on stuff.

Kenosha, WI United States is just about 50 miles North of Milwaukee, WI. So it is not too far from Minnesota. I remember going camping by canoe back and paddling some time into Canada and back to Minnesota during 3 days of fun.

While camping on an island with out any lights besides our flash lights and a new moon, I had too feel my way back to my tent when the light went out. Yea, not very smart not to have a back up light. I think all the blueberry plants were picked clean after we left.

That area of the country I know is darn cold in the winter. I went to view ice boat racing and use my RC model ice boat on Lake Mendota near Madison WI one winter for a change of California where you don't have lakes frozen 8 feet thick ice.

I know I can go to indoor ice rinks, but when I lived in New York, we played ice hockey on a pond near Long Island Sound. The bay off of the Sound was near the pond. That brackish water also started to freeze over some, but not safe for skating.

MT

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
New Zealand cuisine? Enjoying food from many countries is very much a normal thing here. Thai, Chinese and Indian restaurants are commonplace and even our little country town has an example of each. I'm a vegetarian who has always had exotic tastes and my daughter knows better than to investigate the snack foods with Indian writing on the packets that I get from the Indian supermarket down in the township. I like chilli, - my daughter does too, - only in her case it violently upsets her stomach so she has to avoid it. My favourite chocolate is a brand of Swiss chilli chocolate that our local supermarket stocks. It's my favourite treat I buy when I feel that I've been especially good :)

Our Summer weather is being somewhat odd as it's not especially hot, but the humidity is uncomfortably high which I don't like at all. I much prefer Autumn.

Those Peerless gearboxes certainly look interesting. Genuine classic British motorcycle gearboxes have become very expensive here when once upon a time $NZ30.00 would buy a complete one in reasonable order. I was checking on ebay and even with freight and the exchange rate I could buy a Peerless gearbox for a fifth of what an old classic motorcycle gearbox would cost me here. I can see I'm going to have to look into this :)

With my own Sociable project I'm planning on using the staggered seating layout that many cyclecars from the 1920's used...........

(My own wooden Carden cyclecar model)

......... which I think is the best way to approach fitting two human beings into what will be a smallish vehicle. I don't think my daughter will want to ride with me all that often, but it will be nice to have the option.
hi Annie, Happy New Year.
The Carden cyclecar looks very nice, wheels look stout.
Ah yes, vegetable carries from India, butter chicken.

Thai food too? Chicken pad pen with some thai basil.
Now just to find a good rowboat.
Really, someday.

Ray

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Ray,
I thought of you this morning when I saw the thermometer says it is seventeen below zero. Didn't take the wonder dog long to do her business when I let her out just now. Where's me long johns? With a wind kicking up the windchill is to make it feel like thirty below, so I imagine I'll be hanging close to the wood stove today. I was wondering if I preheated a can of spray paint what painting a frame outside would be like. Freeze dried paint. Would it make a crackle paint job? Pebbly? I may try it on fenders some time. Inquiring minds want to know!
SB
Seventeen below zero! That's worse than cold. Yes, long Johns!

The electronic ignition module is the best way to go, no more points to adjust. Perfect spark every time, you might have to switch the wires around to see which one has the better spark.

Ray