2Door's Titan Trike

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've owned this strange little 3 wheeler for about 10 years; long before I got into motorized bicycles. I used it as a plant bike at my job but that was before upper management started feeling sorry for me and bought me a golf cart to get around on instead of this trike. It has been setting, nearly abandoned in a dark corner of a warehouse until a few days ago when I dragged it out, dusted it off and decided to motorize it for the summer...if summer ever gets here.
I picked up a Titan motor from Dax and did a trial fit today after removing the white grocery basket from behind the seat. As of now all I need is a sprocket, chain, twist grip throttle and some rear brakes ( it currently has only a drum brake on the front wheel) and the thing will be rideable. I'll keep you informed on any and all progress from this point.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Re: 2Door's Titon Trike

That is cool Yoda, I have never seen a trike like that before. Is that front wheel solid rubber? Oh and whats up with that frame? Is that for being able to sit in it better or did someone cut that out?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

The frame is made like that so all you have to do is sit down in it. The front tire is just a small, 12 1/2" scooter tire with a tube. The brand name is a Trailmate. I saw one in Florida several years ago exactly like it but made for two people to sit side by side. The rear wheels are 24" so I'm going to start with a 28T sprocket and see how it runs. It might be scary fast. Typically anything with only 3 wheels is inherently unstable so I'l probably have to take it easy on the speed.
Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I think with that small front tire and the low center gravity it might be somewhat stable? It is one cool looking trike.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi

Tom I love that klaxon horn. That is an interesting trike, never seen one like that. Should make an nice build and get questions for sure. Maybe get you several of "That Looks". Do you have any ideas about rear brakes? Keep us posted.
Elmo

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE

I would think a gokart band brake on the rear axle or possibly a gokart disc rotor and caliper. Great start though!.trk

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

I've been considering a disc brake setup, either one or two. Probably get by with just one mounted inboard, like a Corvette or Jag...lol. The thing has an early Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub that is mounted between the pedals and the rear axle. The 1st and 3rd gears went out and I was unable to find parts. The coaster brake parts were also bad but for indoor/warehouse use I didn't really need good brakes and just used the second gear for all my riding. I might consider replacing the hub with a new style with a coaster or go the disc route which would be better brakes. This is gonna be fun.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Dang - that's a nifty trike, I've never seen anything like it!

The pedal crank makes my brain hurt... nothin' wrong with it or it's design ofc, it's just downright weird, which matches the rest of the trike perfectly lol

That's gonna be a great build :D

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Tom, you are really building this so you can do looooong wheelies, aren't you?

I have a Trailmate Easy Ride. They are (were?) well made, moderately priced bikes.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama

I am likin' that bike! You intend on putting some wheely bars on it, maybe some spark tips? That is gonna be slick!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Tom,
You can be pretty sure you'll be the only kid on your block with one like that... definitely different, for sure. Being low to the ground like that your sense of speed will be that much greater... a rush at 20mph for sure. I don't even want to think about 35mph. Got a helmet? Roll cage? Should be a blast!
SB

Sharksfan

Nov 28, 2009
San Jose, CA.

What a cool lookin' bike. I was thinking along the lines of a wheelie machine myself. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Sharksfan.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas

Tom i might have the three speed hub. If not a friend of mine may has the same trike setting out in the rain rotting away.im sure he would give it to me if i asked. although i might have to get the chain saw out to clear the weeds growing though the frame..

scott

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.

I've owned this strange little 3 wheeler for about 10 years; long before I got into motorized bicycles. I used it as a plant bike at my job but that was before upper management started feeling sorry for me and bought me a golf cart to get around on instead of this trike. It has been setting, nearly abandoned in a dark corner of a warehouse until a few days ago when I dragged it out, dusted it off and decided to motorize it for the summer...if summer ever gets here.
I picked up a Titon motor from Dax and did a trial fit today after removing the white grocery basket from behind the seat. As of now all I need is a sprocket, chain, twist grip throttle and some rear brakes ( it currently has only a drum brake on the front wheel) and the thing will be rideable. I'll keep you informed on any and all progress from this point.
Tom
Wow!! nice trike that must really move!!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Just loaded the trike into the back of my pickup. Now all I have to do is find a way to sneak it into the garage...then find a place for it while I finish the install. Four motorized bikes, a hot rod, model airplanes and all my tools have depleted the floor space on my side of the garage. Char says I can't use any of her side for my toys. I can't build a shed in my back yard due to neighborhood covenents. Like the saying goes:
"So many toys, so little room" or something like that. I'm picking up the sprockets this weekend and with any luck I might get to see if this thing will run by Monday. Wheelie bars might be a necessity because it's already tail heavy. Too much twist on the throttle and It'll be like taxiing a taildragger. The problem is it doesn't have posi-traction. The right rear wheel drives and the left free wheels. Circular wheelstands?
Film at eleven...
Tom

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL

Tom, Thanks For The Pm Reply. Here Is Pic Of The 4 Wheeler I Have. The Frames Look Like They May Be By The Same Manfacture. This Would Be Fun On A Wide Bicycle Lane!! Lol. Or Keep 2 Wheels In The Grass! Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Tom, Thanks For The Pm Reply. Here Is Pic Of The 4 Wheeler I Have. The Frames Look Like They May Be By The Same Manfacture. This Would Be Fun On A Wide Bicycle Lane!! Lol. Or Keep 2 Wheels In The Grass! Ron .cvlt1
Ron,
That's like the one I saw in Ocala Florida. I stopped and looked at it up close and I'm certain it was the same manufacturer. So? Looks like a candidate for, what? Two engines? Thanks for sharing.
Tom