would you pay more for a MB engine kit made in the U.S.?

GoldenMotor.com

Would you pay more for a MB engine kit made in the U.S.?

• Yes. I would pay $50 more.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Yes, I would pay $100 more.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No, I would choose the cheapest I could find. They are all the same.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't think it's worth it.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I do not vote in polls.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A kit made in the U.S. could not compete on price. But could certainly be of better grade components, materials and manufacturing tolerances.

But would it be worth paying more, for?

Using a base price for a 2 stroke, China Gurl at $150.

I am thinking of expanding my machine shop to have the ability to produce engines. It's a lot, and I mean a lot of money. It's such a small market dunno if it would be worth it. I really like the tinkering and making parts but this would be a huge endeavor.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
EPA would never allow it - all these 2-stroke motors come into US as "not for road use"

chmn22s

Jun 8, 2017
but there could be "for non-highway/competition only" use.
I'd really appreciate US made fasteners and quality castings. some of these are so rough! yes I'd pay $50 more as that's what I put into reliability upgrades

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Chmn. Thanks for your thoughts!

I missed saying welcome when ya joined. My bad.

I really do appreciate your input.

Took the morning off and am just playing in the shop. Man I missed this stuff.

Life and work should not be allowed to interfere with MBing!
All about priorities!
Snork

Rusty_S85

May 4, 2017
Houston
**** id settle for a US made cylinder replacement with good chrome lining on it. Rather buy one ready to go vs mailing mine out to have it chromed with better material.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hadn't considered it,Greg. Absolutely gonna include "Happy"s The lil ones we send back and forth.

Hey, did I send you one? Got a new bunch. If I didn't, can ya give me your mailing address again? The traveling one is with Steve.

Lemme know. With all the crazy, lately. Wanna send ya a ty of some sort.

The state of CT has been so cool about helping me start this. Paid for aerospace manufacturing school and now helping with biz part. Advisers, breaks on taxes until I get going. Majorly cool and needed.

And they are hooking me up with related businesses! Really making it surmountable.

But lemme know or ill text ya to remind. Don't put him on a car antennia! His lil ear flap straps beat him to death and his helmit rips off. LoL

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
**** id settle for a US made cylinder replacement with good chrome lining on it. Rather buy one ready to go vs mailing mine out to have it chromed with better material.
Man Rusty. Had not thought of that. Am set up and not hard 2do.

Very cool. Thanks!

Rusty_S85

May 4, 2017
Houston
Man Rusty. Had not thought of that. Am set up and not hard 2do.

Very cool. Thanks!
Yep, lots of people have the issue I am reading about of chrome flaking off as its poor quality chrome plating. Happens more for those that run high compression which I am planning on doing. My only option as of now is to send my cylinder out to US Plating and pay them $180 or so to have it plated with better quality.

Would much rather just out right buy a cylinder with the better quality plating and not wait on the turn around. Plus a company that is plating a bunch of them should in theory be able to offer them for a lower price than one off pieces.

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
Dan,
Glad to see you looking into making engines/parts. This probably the best time in decades to try such an endeavour. Without mentioning politics, both sides of the fence favour American made or bettered products. We all know that adds expense, but I like to get value for my money. Since there are too many manufacturing flaws in most CG engines currently made, I am looking at engine vendors who at least go through or modify their engine inventory before sale. Good Luck and keep us updated on your plans!

Robertzep

Oct 3, 2016
Akron, Ohio
All we really need to in America is capture the 4-stoke and electric market, to heck with 2 strokes!
Hey KC, I understand... part of me wants to bypass ICE altogether, but I like the simplicity of the 2 Stroke. For my wants batteries aren't quite there yet.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
way the country is going now, I'd any day expect roving bands of tree huggers with baseball bats to be tracking down 2-stroke owners

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man, I'm glad I asked and thanks for replying! Really cool part about folks here is way conversations meander. The not restricted to any one demanding we stay on topic. All my favorite threads wonder. Direct result of the not restricted to inside the box thinkers. (you lunitics, snork)

One of the first mods started a thread about carbs or some thing, when the forum first started. 38 pages later we were posting pictures of cats and stories about stupid stuff they had done. Just set the tone for here that I enjoy so much.

So please, let fly with any thoughts you have on this. Or what ever. And thanx again!

An option I am looking into is repurposing American made engines for our thing. From http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/garden.html
(and to keep a list in a findable place)

• American Lawn Mower Co. (Shelbyville, IN): Lightweight push reel mowers are good for the lawn, the planet, and you! Models still made in USA: 1404-16, 1705-16 (also sold under the Great States brand as 404-16 and 705-16) (as of January 2013).
  • Ariens Corp. (Brillion, WI): snow blowers and zero-turn mowers for consumers, plus commercial lawn equipment and specialty mowers for landscapers, golf courses, and sports turf.
  • Palmor Products, Inc. (Thorntown, IN): makers of Trac-Vac lawn vacuums and accessories for garden tractors and zero-turn mowers.
  • Rich Mfg. (Thorntown, IN): manufacturer of Convertible Mowers, zero turn mowers that convert to a walk-behind. Mowers use Kawasaki and Kohler engines.
  • Snapper (McDonough, GA): all Snapper lawn mowers are made in USA. Lawn tractors are made in Port Washington, WI; commercial equipment is made in Munsville, NY; and other Snapper products are made in McDonough, GA.

I really do believe the future belongs to the electrics but there will always be a spot for the ICEs. With the amount of resources being poured into battery development, just a matter of time before it's the better choice or at least the more logical option for commercial uses. But can't replace the joy of tinkering

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I really do believe the future belongs to the electrics but there will always be a spot for the ICEs.
Ya, and the people in the Oil business will continue to lobby everyone to keep Internal Combustion Engines going for another decade or two.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I would be willing to pay more for a better engine. However, there will always be a demand for the cheapest kits, even if they are just an entry point to the hobby. After the hook is set then the upgrading starts.

What would be nice is a 4 stroke that looks good and has a manual clutch.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ya, and the people in the Oil business will continue to lobby everyone to keep Internal Combustion Engines going for another decade or two.
That really is a good point, KC.

I would be willing to pay more for a better engine. However, there will always be a demand for the cheapest kits, even if they are just an entry point to the hobby. After the hook is set then the upgrading starts.

What would be nice is a 4 stroke that looks good and has a manual clutch.
Man Chaz. I forgot about that. Had a couple prototypes in the works and in varying states of failure. Really frustrating. But might be the way to go.

Was thinking this morning about a one way, centrifugal clutch. To allow for pop-starting.

Which would you think better to pursue first?

True dat about the cheapest, thing.

Was looking at China Girls on eBay. The exactly same kits, exactly. The lower the price, the worse the review. My thinking was it was due to the least mechanically experienced bought the cheapest and just didn't have the knowledge and got frustrated?

But your point is absolutely correct IMVHO.