World’s fastest Schwinn cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Nice work. I have been going electric, but underwater for longer than my current off-road motor bike! OK really I meant the Gas Briggs Motor Bike only submerges at most 1/2 a foot when fording streams. The UW Scooter is rated to 90 feet deep. Happy I got a refund on my AGM 12V 14AH battery for my underwater scooter that was damaged by poor packaging and shipment. Another seller I purchase the same battery and found it so far not yet with load test by going on the river or ocean, but it sure spins the propeller way better than my somewhat worn current battery in just the ether.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Nice work. I have been going electric, but underwater for longer than my current off-road motor bike! OK really I meant the Gas Briggs Motor Bike only submerges at most 1/2 a foot when fording streams. The UW Scooter is rated to 90 feet deep. Happy I got a refund on my AGM 12V 14AH battery for my underwater scooter that was damaged by poor packaging and shipment. Another seller I purchase the same battery and found it so far not yet with load test by going on the river or ocean, but it sure spins the propeller way better than my somewhat worn current battery in just the ether.
Lol I’m sure I would hot rod one of those too. Gotta try scuba diving sometime.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
New battery is in, it sure is a lot more compact and almost 2.5x the capacity. Old 1.9kwh left, new 4.4kwh right. Lots of space in the box now, filled in with foam. Space for an onboard charger! Have to wait for funds to come back up a bit, not sure if I really need it but it sure would be cool to plug in to a car charging station..

Attachments

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Well it’s official. I have no more range anxiety. Today I Hauled for about 8 miles straight and only went down 5 volts. Hauling range 15mi minimum, at 65mph minimum. My range is measured in battery voltage (potential). 84v full and 64v empty. I decided this one I will not take down less than 69v to leave ~5v for sag. Riding normally around the speed limit aka Not Hauling As$ I recorded a 2v drop over approx 8 miles. So to estimate I believe I can achieve 50 miles range minimum, Not Hauling. Going very slow like when I am talking on the phone thru headphones and creeping up on pedestrians with nice legs, I think I can top 80 miles however we will never find out, as I am not the guy that does range tests at 20mph without opening it up once in 3 minutes. Happy with the result. Finished it up, re-routed my charge plug to an xt90 under the seat, put the tank back on, and washed it. Also removed the ammeter attached to the end of my charge cable. It would get hot due to the skinny wires and was probably robbing some charge speed, and the display was not really needed for charging.

Went for a ride with my whizzer buddy. The bike he was on today, is a Helmutt frame with a 148cc NE5. I believe his top speed was around 45mph. Trying out my bike, he was absolutely floored...

Attachments

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Kudos on a fine looking and performing ride Tony. The time, effort and knowledge you invested into this home designed/built bike shows.
Having just done three test rides so far on my first e-bike build, I can definitely say range anxiety is the biggest downside for a newb. I haven't enough ride time experience yet to trust those vague green/amber/red battery level indicator lights on the throttle. So rather than cycle any distance away from Alnwick, I tend to circle the town thinking "Could I pedal/push it home from here if I had to?". Just want to ride and chill. Your ride takes e-biking to a whole other level, so you got that part nailed.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Kudos on a fine looking and performing ride Tony. The time, effort and knowledge you invested into this home designed/built bike shows.
Having just done three test rides so far on my first e-bike build, I can definitely say range anxiety is the biggest downside for a newb. I haven't enough ride time experience yet to trust those vague green/amber/red battery level indicator lights on the throttle. So rather than cycle any distance away from Alnwick, I tend to circle the town thinking "Could I pedal/push it home from here if I had to?". Just want to ride and chill. Your ride takes e-biking to a whole other level, so you got that part nailed.
thank you Pete. You know I don’t use any kind of display or anything. I just have a little voltmeter that goes on with the ignition. 84v is full charge and 70ish is “better be close to home”. I just go by the volts. You’ll get a feel for it fast. I like those integrated throttle/key/voltmeter combos, but I like the full grip throttle. So I just stole the voltmeter from one of those and stuck it on my ignition switch with tape. Any meter will work though.

Attachments

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Sheesh Tony. What with the Corona virus lock-down and now the BLM demo's/riots, things went from one extreme to the other in short order in the States. Stay safe.
This is another one of those occasions where I'm glad I live in a country where access to firearms isn't ever necessary or even an option.
I know; this post is almost a year old. But I just wanted to say that where I live, CCW is very common. Open carry too. And interestingly enough, I have never heard of rioters pulling anyone from their vehicle here. Wonder why that is?
Back on topic though; I'm thinking about getting a front hubmotor for my 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duti.

Reactions: indian22