Whoops..doesn't fit

GoldenMotor.com

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
LOL I thought I measured right ..it doesn't fit in my frame. I can get the engine in but the screws aren't long enough. Its because it is a very tight fit. Anything I can do(besides to get a new bike)? I know they make screw extenders..would that work?

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
any chance you could post a picture,or a link to one?
my photo posting skills suck,so i cant help you in that respect.
type of kit you are installng may help too.

Last edited:

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Its power king 80cc something I got off ebay. Haven't been able to get a picture of it yet. Theres no way to get it in. Although its a mans bike its only a 15 inch frame. I'll try later to get a pic of it.

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Another question can I put an engine that suppose to go on the fork in the back?

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
LOL I thought I measured right ..it doesn't fit in my frame. I can get the engine in but the screws aren't long enough. Its because it is a very tight fit. Anything I can do(besides to get a new bike)? I know they make screw extenders..would that work?
If you can fit the engine in the frame, at the right angle. Then yes you can probably do something there. Pictures will help.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If i am reading this right, you just need longer mounting studs. You can remove the ones on the engine and go to home depot or most auto parts stores or hardware stores and get long enough bolts to replace the all thread studs you have.

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
Joe funny you mentioned that ....I'm glad you confirmed it. One of the mounting studs was loose and I realized I just needed longer ones. You beat me to the post here LOL Thanks.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If you are set on using the frame you have, you can make the engine fit, and at the same time fit it correctly, which is very important. You have a couple of options available to you.
First do not use stud extenders...you can get Metric 6X1.0 Metric grade 8.8 (USS Grade 5) in any length you need. The OEM studs don't hold up even without extenders. In fact extenders will most likely get in the way of the mounting on the tube, causing you to spread the studs apart to fit, causing stress on the case, and causing more damage.
Second should you need extra clearance in the frame, you can do away with the OEM front, rear or both mounts.
Picture sure would help.
These photos depict correct engine mounting...

Engine without the rear OEM mount. Increases clearance about a extra 1/2" to 1", Enables the engine to sit lower in a frame.

Correct mount fitting

incorrect fitting
or

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Another question can I put an engine that suppose to go on the fork in the back?
Yes that has been done pretty easily. Just a little fabrication skills, some tools and imagination are needed to do it.

I would start be mounting a front fork to the rear axle, tilted back a little, and using a strut attached to the top of it and the seat stays. Then mount the engine on the forks.

Someone in the DIY i think, recently did a rear mount Solex clone like this but he used strap steel instead of forks.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I used a round file to make adjustment to my motor mounts.
They were somewhat like shown in Alf's tutorial as 'incorrect'.

Because I fitted the mounts well to the tube, I have had zero problems with the crummy china mm studs, though I should replace them with better quality anyway.

Good luck
rc

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I used a round file to make adjustment to my motor mounts.
They were somewhat like shown in Alf's tutorial as 'incorrect'.

Because I fitted the mounts well to the tube, I have had zero problems with the crummy china mm studs, though I should replace them with better quality anyway.

Good luck
rc
I cheated there on several of my builds by cutting several strips of lead flashing sheet, of varying width to stick in there to shim out the space.
When I clamped it down hard,(stock studs) the lead mashed and conformed to the space. After tightening a couple more times after some use, this has worked well. One bike has almost 2000 miles now with no engine mount problems.
I have built 7 chinagirls. I never any trouble with the stock studs at all. Just made sure they were seated well just before assembeling.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
wayne z

That's the key, making sure that the mounts are mounted squarely on the tubes, unfortunately most bikes don't have a frame (V of 75 deg or even close) that will allow it. I use 3/4" copper couplings but lead sounds like a good idea. Copper is accessible in just about any hardware store, and although not as easy to work with as lead is workable.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I agree with Alf.

Copper is superior to using Pb.
The lead will just get hammered out by the vibration.

Even Al beverage cans cut for shim stock get hammered and become worthless in many applicatons.

Best
rc

She

Apr 28, 2012
NY
I cheated there on several of my builds by cutting several strips of lead flashing sheet, of varying width to stick in there to shim out the space.
When I clamped it down hard,(stock studs) the lead mashed and conformed to the space. After tightening a couple more times after some use, this has worked well. One bike has almost 2000 miles now with no engine mount problems.
I have built 7 chinagirls. I never any trouble with the stock studs at all. Just made sure they were seated well just before assembeling.
I like that idea. Tomorrow to the hardware store.......

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Yes, Lead is easily worked and easy to get.
I bought a lead sheet vent stack at the local hdw store years ago. A lot of the flat part is missing now. I use it in my bench vise and lathe chucks to prevent damage to my work from clamping pressure.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I agree with Alf.

Copper is superior to using Pb.
The lead will just get hammered out by the vibration.

Even Al beverage cans cut for shim stock get hammered and become worthless in many applicatons.

Best
rc
Hmm, for something to get hammered, there has to be movement. If there's movement then somethings loose or not fitting good.

My lead hasn't hammered out I guess because I was dillegent about checking and keeping both engine joints tight.
Also because it conforms so well, there's good surface contact and conformity to spread out the load, and lead, like all metals, work hardens some.

Copper is superior, but lead is easy LOL

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Now, all the bikes I used the lead shimmed mounts on were chromed frame Micargi's.
Metal to metal. I don't know what effect, if any, painted tubes might have on the joint.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'll just add that I have used lead sheet for years with great success. I started using it as a vibration absorber, and it seems to work o.k. for that as well.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Actually, your miles prove the value of the test, Wayne.
I'd sooner file the mount, though.
And, grabbing a short three/quarter nipple and cutting it with the snips would be easier for me, too.

...hmmm... I guess they DO use babbitt bearings, don't they!