who has used the white wire to power lights?

GoldenMotor.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I've got 2 of Normans lights that work off the white wire and they work great. Just hook em up and they work...................

Doug

May 17, 2008
Metro Detroit
I use the white wire on my Dax 70 to power a tail light. I have a red accessory light (I forget the specs), which I think is meant for a trailer, that I bought at Autozone. I ran the wire for it through a switch on the side of my rack.

I have let the engine warm up and smooth out at night and then turned it on. Works fine. No special kit.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
have a bike and using same set up as saetta but I also using a tailight works great! had problems with my other bike though couldnt get my lights on after warm up without killing the engine ! come to find out bad spark plug wire , replaced and good to go!

6 Volt LED headlamp w/ small 6 volt motorcycle battery

I am working on a 6 volt LED headlamp and the guy at the autoparts place told me to use a small 6 volt motorcycle battery and run the white wire to it, then run a wire from the battery to the headlamp so the motor would not be using the spark juice to power the light. Any thoughts on this?

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
My cruiser now has both a headlight and a tailight powered via the white wire. The lights work fine as is. I am curious about the battery idea just the same.

erv h

Dec 15, 2008
union gap, wa
hi erv here iam useing white wire with head light only ,light from generator kit 6 volt i think battery sounds like good idea for more lights & big horn maybe ill take my battery out of my electric start craftsman walking lawn mower its very small & just a idea for more juice

kermit05

Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Good day,
Information on the White wire. The white wire is for killing the power on the primary ignition power generating coil without directly connecting to the primary ignition power generating coil. The white wire coil is reverse wound in order to acomplish this. Current flow through the white wire coil produces a magnetic field that cancels the magnetic field of the primary ignition power generating coil. This is done to prevent damage to the CDI. Directly shorting the primary ignition power generating coil for stopping the engine runs the risk of damaging the CDI.

Short version is, READ YOUR MANUAL, it says the white wire is for the ignition kill.

If you chose to use the white wire for power then the power drawn from this circuit will be a direct porportional loss to the power supplied by the primary ignition power generating coil.

Figured I would post this to help clarify the confusion.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Kermit
I'm not sure I understand how your explaining the coil and how its wound or works. I took a coil apart the other night and found that all the windings are wound in the same direction and that the white wire lead IS attached to the blue wire through the windings.
The windings start out as the white wire #25 gauge wire at 3 1/2 rows of windings back to ground then goes to a #31 gauge wire wound around 1/2" deep of windings. this second winding of fine wire is attached to the end of the heavy winding of the white wire winding and both go to the frame ground the other end of the fine winding is the blue wire attach point. So at the start is the white wire attach point then 3 1/2 wraps of #25 wire to ground and atached to the #25 wire is the start of the #31 wire and after over 1/2" of windings is the attach point for the blue wire. All of this wire is wrapped in the same direction.
I find that attaching the kill wire to the blue or white will stop the engine. I use the white wire to power my headlight and taillight with no problem. I've got 4 bikes fixed up this way and so far none have had any problem with burning up any coils or cdi been at this for going on to 2 years I've yet to replace a bulb in my headlight using the bulbs that I discovered to work about 2 years ago. I will not say what the headlight bulb is as I sell them to those who want to try my lighting system. I did make and sell the headlights but I've stopped making the headlights it takes up too much time to make for the price I charged for the light. I will tell you that the taillight is a 12 volt 2-LED light that can be bought at most auto parts stores for around $8.00. This is the light for the tail- Piranaha #V618XR.
As for the manual saying to connect the kill to the white wire none of the manuals for the 8 engine kits I've purchased suggested that the kill switch be connected to the white wire it stated that the white wire was for powering a light and if it was not being used for that to keep it taped up so it would not ground out on the frame or engine. I've purchased engines from Dax, boygofast, and kings out of canada.
I posted this to clear your confusion Kermit.
Norman

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Short version is, READ YOUR MANUAL, it says the white wire is for the ignition kill.

My Manual said the white wire was for powering a light. I'm glad I didn't get your manual, my white wire lights work great and I don't have to mess around with batteries..............

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I have 2 engine kits. 2 manuals. One says "white" to kill one says "blue" to kill. One with "white kill" acknowledges that "blue" might be "green". Sooooo I have one wired each way. Both kill the engine. I'm inclined to install a key switch and just turn off the circuit, rather than killing anything.

Someone somewhere must actually know what the "white" wire was designed to do. Any chance that anyone seen an actual schematic from the original designer of the engines?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Take yours(coil) apart and see how its put together I did and I've posted the what I found.

I know what the darn white wire does it powers my lights and it seems to cause a lot of confusion lately. :-||
My manual said to use the white to power the lights.
But if you want to do it different I don't have any problem with that.
putting a switch in the wiring will also kill it it would be like pulling one of the wires apart sort of like what happens when those fine china connectors come apart.

Last edited: