Where do you carry your spare gasoline.

GoldenMotor.com

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
You can get a gallon gas tank on EBay from boygofast that's just like the one that comes with the kit but bigger.

I may get one of those in the Spring, but right now I carry a 1 gallon gas can on the back rack.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
From the army navy store I have a water canteen plastic same material that makes the gas tanks you find everywhere. It holds 1/4 of a gallon of gas just like my tank on my Titan engine. It's all I need. With today's prices 50 cents over fills it. I can go about 40 miles on a tank Cherry Creek being 26 miles from my house I can make it there and 3/4 of the way home before running out and my canteen would fill it right back up again. But when I use my canteen I only empty half of it for sometimes I forget. When I run down and the moment the other half goes in it's straight to the gas station with two quarters.

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Hey LF that same army navy store probably has a beautiful deep red anodized spare Coleman fuel container. Will make you want to mount it so everybody can see it. .750 ml, I think. About $7.

And it's made for fuel. And it's purty. Looks like a missile. Sorta like this one without the graphics.

Ted

Attachments

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
50:1 mix, a customer passed on a tip, a vegetable oil bottle in my saddlebags, and it worked for a long trip...then HE started carrying his in a plastic whiskey bottle.

So then I put some in a mouthwash bottle, was in a store parking lot about an hour away when I pulled it out to fill up, and a guy stopped dead in his tracks, me pouring that green stuff in the tank...

"Haven't you heard of the alcohol fueled small engines?" I asked him. "I buy Scope by the barrel full, cheaper than gas, 55 gallon drum runs me about $32 bucks."

I think that fish got hooked, but I just cranked up and headed on down the road.

seanhan

Aug 7, 2008
Texas
I was thinking about a syringe with 2 stroke oil in it . could put a shot in tank and fill up at the gas station like the 4 strokers. just got to do the math.
Is this a Bad idea ?????^5

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
50:1 mix, a customer passed on a tip, a vegetable oil bottle in my saddlebags, and it worked for a long trip...then HE started carrying his in a plastic whiskey bottle.

So then I put some in a mouthwash bottle, was in a store parking lot about an hour away when I pulled it out to fill up, and a guy stopped dead in his tracks, me pouring that green stuff in the tank...

"Haven't you heard of the alcohol fueled small engines?" I asked him. "I buy Scope by the barrel full, cheaper than gas, 55 gallon drum runs me about $32 bucks."

I think that fish got hooked, but I just cranked up and headed on down the road.
LOL, snork, snork..rotfl Have to love the goof factor.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Hey LF that same army navy store probably has a beautiful deep red anodized spare Coleman fuel container. Will make you want to mount it so everybody can see it. .750 ml, I think. About $7.

And it's made for fuel. And it's purty. Looks like a missile. Sorta like this one without the graphics.

Ted
True that but I only payed a dolla for mine. :p

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
I was thinking about a syringe with 2 stroke oil in it . could put a shot in tank and fill up at the gas station like the 4 strokers. just got to do the math.
Is this a Bad idea ?????^5
On a broken-in GEBE, where you have to mix on the road, I did the math, and syringes are messy.

The cap on the bottle holds between 4-5 cc (or mls), so a full 22 oz. tank takes 4 capfuls, a half tank takes 2 caps.

What I do is fill the main tank at a station, add the capfulls, then have pure gas in my spares, mix it when I pour it in the engine tank, pre mixing is also messy and not worth the effort.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
It would be so easy for someone to make a replacment fuel shut off with a reserve on it like a motorcycle has. I bet someone here on this forum has manufactoring skills.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
My kit came with a half gallon tank which so far has a range of about 60 miles. After running out of gas for the first time I pedaled home and attached the water bottle holder I had removed during my engine install. I keep a small bottle of gas in this holster as reserve. If I had a especially long trip I can also strap down a gas can to the rack over the rear wheel which i highly recommend.

PS
If you use a clear water bottle be sure to label it as the mixed gas looks a lot like Gatorade.

Last edited:

Friction

Nov 25, 2008
On planet Earth
I just use an old aluminum mountaineering bottle and bunjee cord it up but Im planing on getting a bottle carrier whitch will make my life 1000 times easier. :ride:

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
It would be so easy for someone to make a replacment fuel shut off with a reserve on it like a motorcycle has. I bet someone here on this forum has manufactoring skills.
As far as I know, those 'reserve' options are for when the fuel level drops below the main pickup on the petcock, and it would open one further down. With the way our petcocks mount in the tube that extends down, I seriously doubt it would do any good.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
It would mean you run out a bit sooner the go to reserve. It is exactly like you described it, the way they work. Even if it just a 1/2 pint, it would get you home. just a thought, I built my tank in two halfs just like a motorcyle tank without the cross over tube. If I run out I can lean it way over and pick up a pint of gas to get home.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
why would you want to run out sooner than normal, just to be able to use a reserve, which you would've had normally anyway?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have several that have a reserve...I use them on my long rides and at least it lets you know you are about out of fuel and you need to turn around and head home or add some fuel.

I may be selling my MB here soon and I might just sell/give everything I got.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Re: HERE'S A CHEAP DIY RESERVE VALVE!

I got me a bright idea for a reserve valve!(^)

Start with any new fuel tank, or THOROUGHLY clean out your existing tank.

Pour in the amount of WATER(Not gas!) you want as your reserve, be it 16 ounces or whatever. Look into the tank with a flashlight and mark the tank's outside where the liquid levels out.

Empty the water and drill the tank on the level and convenient to run a 90-degree fitting.

Braze the fitting into the hole with the nipple facing where you want it to.

Thoroughly clean tank and check for leak at the fitting.

Run the fuel line from this fitting to the carb.

Now cut the fuel line and install a tee-fitting.

Run the third fuel line from tee-fitting to the tank's petcock. Keep petcock closed.

Fill tank with fuel, start engine and enjoy the drive.

When engine runs outa fuel or starts sputtering, reach down and turn the petcock lever.

VOILA! Reserve fuel!

You'll have to figure out for yourself how much of a reserve you need.

Experiment close to home.

Happy motoring!:ride2:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
That sounds pretty drastic FR! Perhaps you can find somebody to store these things for you for a bit before letting go of them.
The guy I was selling my MB to never showed up...just as well, I did not want to sell it. I have no problem storing all my junk..it was more out of necessity.