Where do you carry your spare gasoline.

GoldenMotor.com

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
I have no need for a spare tank...Everyday before I go riding, I top off the tank, & if I ever do run out of gas... I keep a 2oz bottle of oil on the bike so I can pedal to a gas station. (I live in Los Angeles, there's a gas station every 1/2 mile!)
I have the same plan to carry a small oil bottle that can be mixed with a full tank of gas. I don't plan on doing a lot of touring, so a small quick solution works best for me. I've run out of gas on my motorcycle, so running out of gas on a vehicle I can pedal home doesn't seem like a big deal, (unless you're 30 miles from home).
:-||

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
I was thinking of a small metal reserve tank under my seat, painted to match the bike of course... Something to add to the design and looks of the bike. About 12oz... Beer can size.. LOL

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
Does anyone else notice that their tank will leak from the cap whenever they try to fill it to the top?
Ya, but don't try to seal it up or it'l create a vacuum and won't let the gas into the engine. It needs to be able to breath. Like the little flap on the back of a gas can needs to be open so it will flow better.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
This past weekend i saw one of my tractor drivers clipping grass,he always carrys a weedwacker with him.He had taken a old fire extinguisher and mounted it on the tractor fender,he takes the top off and fills it with his fuel and oil mix ,then he has a gas tank with a valve and hose to fill his weed wacker.SAFTY FIRST don try to put a fire with it. HARLEYS DAD

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Ya, but don't try to seal it up or it'l create a vacuum and won't let the gas into the engine. It needs to be able to breath. Like the little flap on the back of a gas can needs to be open so it will flow better.
Is there a way to beat this, like say a pin hole in the cap with a gasket of some kind under the cap placed just enough to allow it to breathe?

Or is there some kind of breather outfit out there we could remedy this problem with?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I threw the same tricks with the pin hole too. Still got some Dribble. I here the gas tanks for the wizzers Don't leak at all . I slowed Mine down enough now with the pin hole and moded gasket trick.

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Is there a way to beat this, like say a pin hole in the cap with a gasket of some kind under the cap placed just enough to allow it to breathe?

Or is there some kind of breather outfit out there we could remedy this problem with?
I believe motocross and off road bikes have a cap with a one way valve. I'm not sure how they work though. dnut

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
i got a 300'ish ml container of 'fish oil' ( was fish oil tablets ) now i use that for my 2 stroke, i thought the container was perfect :p ( bike runs on fish lol )

pull up to the servo, put in fuel, throw in some 2 stroke, lid back on, couple shakes and all sweet.

do get some looks though as i wear motorbike helmet/jacket ect:
Edit/Delete Message

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
I'm thinking that I'll seal off the cap completely and drill a hole in the bottom of the tank then solder a thin copper tube that will go from the top of the inside of the tank to the top of the outside, this will prevent gas from leaking out because the small diameter will prevent sloshing while relieving the vacuum inside the tank. hopefully it should look the same as a stock tank if i run the tube close to the frame. I'l let you know how it works/looks when I get back from school.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I'm thinking that I'll seal off the cap completely and drill a hole in the bottom of the tank then solder a thin copper tube that will go from the top of the inside of the tank to the top of the outside, this will prevent gas from leaking out because the small diameter will prevent sloshing while relieving the vacuum inside the tank. hopefully it should look the same as a stock tank if i run the tube close to the frame. I'l let you know how it works/looks when I get back from school.
Thats a very cool idea Prasinos. I'm gonna try a variation on it. An internal goose-neck that rises just into the fill tube and under the cap.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have one of those on my back porch. It is so old that it is worthless now. I saw it last week when I was looking for something to use. I also saw one of my butane cylinders as well. But I want something with the filler in the side not the top if I'm going to that amount of trouble.

I have seen some old john deere mower thanks that are round with a center spout. I think I'm going to ride my bike to the lawn mower shop and see what they have there.

The chainsaw bike needs a fuel tank.
I use a round cylinder tank (like a tube with the filler midway) from an old lawn mower as my primary gas tank and have it mounted behind the seat on a front bicycle rack modified a bit to fit behind. Works very well, looks good, too. The ones I have found are aluminum underneath the paint and shine up pretty well. The same setup could work well as a secondary tank for someone with a stock peanut tank as primary. Make a T in the line with shutoffs from both tanks and you're good to go.
Silverbear

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
what kinds of containers are safe to store gasoline in? i heard some types of plastic get corroded by gasoline...

what i want to do is have a small container of premixed fuel (maybe like 300-500ml) strapped to the frame somewhere so when i run out of gas i can just fill it up on the spot with the back up. maybe even have two, one with premixed fuel and one with oil and a 25ml dropper so i can fill up at a gas station.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
what kinds of containers are safe to store gasoline in? i heard some types of plastic get corroded by gasoline...

what i want to do is have a small container of premixed fuel (maybe like 300-500ml) strapped to the frame somewhere so when i run out of gas i can just fill it up on the spot with the back up. maybe even have two, one with premixed fuel and one with oil and a 25ml dropper so i can fill up at a gas station.
A 500ml plastic water bottle full of gas sits in the frame's bottle holder. That's good for 9 miles.

I also carry one of those 2.56 oz. oil bottles they sell at Home Depot ot Checkers Auto Parts.

Pull into the gas station, shut the petcock, pour in oil and two quarts of fuel. Refill the small bottle at home with Castrol motorcycle oil, which is MUCH cheaper than buying oil in 2.56 oz. bottles.

So that's 1.5 liter goped tank, 4-liter reserve and .5 liter plastic bottle equals 6 liters. At 72mpg, it's enough to travel 114 miles.

Carrying two 2.56 oz. bottles extends range another 72 miles.dance1

When I had my Mitsubishi engine, I had to run the bike up a tree to fill 24 ounces, of which some would spill out. At 100mpg, that gave me a range of 18 miles.:-||

Now on one fillup, I can go over SIX TIMES further.xct2

Last edited: