where can I get a 26" 3 speed wheel?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by toker_ace, Nov 29, 2009.

1. toker_ace

toker_ace Member

I just installed a jackshaft and would like to ry a 3 speed wheel. Where is the best place to get one? thanks

2. Creative Engineering

Toker,

Buy an Sram I-motion 3-speed hub and lace-up a wheel. It's easy, and the Sram hub will hold up to an engine.

Jim

3. toker_ace

toker_ace Member

$93.00 wow! It has a coaster brake. I don't think you can have a coaster brake with the front freewheel that comes with the jackshaft?

4. Creative Engineering

I have 4 of them here at the shop that do not have coaster brakes...It doesn't matter if you do use the coaster brake version hub...it won't wear out!

The SRAM I-motion hubs are tough, and proven to hold up to an engine.

Have fun Toker!

Jim

#4 Creative Engineering, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  5. Kevron99

Kevron99 New Member

Jim,

A 3 speed hub good enough for a jack shaft? or should it be more than 3 speed to fully utilized the jack shaft kit.
    Just asking

Thanks,
    Ron

#5 Kevron99, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. tyrslider

tyrslider New Member

I think 3 speeds is perfect really! it would require the right ratios but I think even 2 speeds would be cool.
    Thing is I don't mind having all those speeds (9) and I can utilize them. But I think a lot of people don't have nearly the time in the saddle that some of us have and a lot of them don't want to deal w/ all those gears. 2 or 3 is all you need for most places. A lo med hi or xlo lo med or med hi xhi, and so on. I live in Seattle and we're comparable w/ San Francisco on hills (and coffee consumption); if it works here should work anyware.
    If you think about your 1 speed, if it was a 2, that would be cool.

7. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

8. jdcburg

jdcburg New Member

Hi toker - In the 60s-70s, lots of bikes had 3 speed axles. You can find them on freecycle, craigslist and tag sales if you want to go cheap as an experiment. I found a matched his n hers and put a rear on the front of the other to make my fwd ebike. The only problem is the steel wheel rim brakes have terrible braking characteristics when wet. Not good for Seattle - jd

9. toker_ace

toker_ace Member

The only thing is that the gears on say an 8 speed freewheel is...They are so close together.Its kinda like a semi-truck.I talked to Jim at SBP"S and he said he shifts two gears at a time.I'm running a rapid fire shifter and I think the twist grip shifter would be bettter. I'm just leary of a bicycle gears that use a derailler. Maybe because I've never had any luck as a kid with gears working properly. I've learned alot lately. I'm determined to get it right. Like I said before, everything is perfect except for the chain jumping in my low gears.

10. GeneFiorot

GeneFiorot New Member

There are big differences between 3 speed hubs. the model Sram hub that Jim has is different than other Sram hubs and much stronger in design than all others including other srams.

11. Maxvision

Maxvision New Member

I built and sold a bike w/ a shift kit and 3 speed hub and built one with a shift kit and 7 speed derailer. In my humble opinion, any more gears than 3 is more than you'll need, owever, a rear wheel w/ derailer is much less expensive and easier to come by than a 3 speed hub.

Oh, and btw, the bike I built had a 3 speed Shimano Nexus hub. The hub didn't last a week before it turned to mush. If the Sram I-motion 3-speed hub is as good as people here have said, and you can afford it, I'd go with that!

#11 Maxvision, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  12. tyrslider

tyrslider New Member

The 3 speed sram is probably made extra strong 'cause it's for kids to learn to shift on!

13. toker_ace

toker_ace Member

Didn't last a week huh? Thats good to know. I guess I'll stick with the derailler for now.Heck, I'm $100 out! It works great. I just need to get some comfidence in derailler's.

14. GeneFiorot

GeneFiorot New Member

I don't know about kids the the number of cogs and the construction makes a difference.

15. toker_ace

toker_ace Member

anyone found me a "USED" sram I-motion hub yet?

16. GeneFiorot

GeneFiorot New Member

Jim has a few new ones he might be willing to sell

17. trailblazerpete

trailblazerpete New Member

18. Kevron99

Kevron99 New Member

I just bought a Premium Nexus inter 8 from Universal Cycles. I got the Nexus Inter 8 model SG-8R36, The HUB that has a Red Band on it. Universal Cycles can price match intantly at their web site. I it for $185 plus shipping.

Universal Cycles -- Shimano Nexus Inter-8 Rim Brake Hub

19. trailblazerpete

trailblazerpete New Member

I looked at them,they didn't seem to come with the shifter or cables?..Pete

20. toker_ace

toker_ace Member

I think 3 gears is enough. Right now I have 7 on my freewheel and you need to shift 2 gears at a time. The gears are so close together. Also, I've been told the sturmey's don't hold up good at all. Jim at creative enginering told me the sram i-motion is the best. If jim say's it I beleive it! So, thats why I went with the sram.