What's with the bottle

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Ted, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Ted

Ted New Member

#1 Ted, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Very observant....it's a bottle of snake oil.

3. Cabinfever1977

Cabinfever1977 New Member

When the engine is on the exhaust stroke and blows the exhaust out the muffler, it also blowback some fuel/air mixture backwards threw the intake into the air filter.
    When you have a boost bottle installed on the intake, the mixture would go up into the bottle to supercharge the next intake mixture.

I dont believe in them tho, mostly it just magically pockets your money, lol.
    You could just send me the money and i'll tell you your bike goes faster, lol.

4. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Or as somebody once said the blow back will take the path of least resistance (like it already does) and goes out the carb. The bottle can't be pressurized or make pressure.

5. DonBrouhaha

DonBrouhaha New Member

It's got what motors crave "It's Got Electrolytes!"

:ride:

6. Nougat

Nougat New Member

I think I was the one who said the blowback would take the path of least resistance. After some looking, apparently what's supposed to happen is while the intake draw is going past the boost bottle, it draws some air out of the boost bottle, making a little negative pressure inside the bottle. That negative pressure is relieved by some of the blowback entering the bottle.

Some more digging shows that a lot of stock dirtbikes and snowmobiles have factory boost bottles, which lends to the credence of the idea.

Still, it's one thing for a Yamaha or Kawasaki engineer to design an engine that includes a boost bottle, and quite another for amateurs to add something that looks like a boost bottle to an badly designed engine that didn't have one in the first place.

7. Retmachinist

Retmachinist New Member

I did alot of experimenting with different size boost bottles, that I made myself. My opinion is don't waste your time or money. The only thing I ever noticed was it changed the idle.

John

8. Ted

Ted New Member

When I raced Go Carts you could see a vapor plume coming out of the carb when under full throttle, it was quite visible, what we did was to put a velocity stack on the carb so that most of that vapor would be somewhat trapped and be available for the next intake, it worked BUT tended to have a RPM range that it would work, now days the sport bikes have motorized adjustable intake stakes, these stakes work on the same principle as the reverse cone exhaust, I could go on and on about this but won't.

9. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

Why not? We diggit ;)

10. azbill

azbill Active Member

boost bottles...
    some swear by them,,,most swear AT them !!! laff