What Are Your Garden Tricks?

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Ya we got about a 1" yesterday and more to come Sunday, most of the time it does the splits, when it get to use, and goes north and south.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
1/8" of rain on Friday night. Don't matter, corn and soybeans around here are fooked.
The big dairy operations may be able to perform some salvage by ensilaging what there is to save.
Lot of acreage round here was planted in sweetcorn, not pretty.
My prediction for the coming winter is a major wildlife die off. Most go thru seven year cycles. If this is just a ebb cycle, fine, but I think weather patterns are going into a dry cycle.

Today I split a pound and a half Eggplant, hollowed the halves. Filled with It. sausage and Tom. sauce.
Topped with parchment paper and sealed with aluminum foil. Baked at 400F. One hour.
Mona made garlic bread that would knock an Italian off a fence post. What a gal !

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Looks like it going your way on the raider, but dissipates before you get it, that's the way its been all summer here till now. Mpls ha been getting it all, even last winter they got a lot more snow then up here. Seems like the storm belts go from Fargo down to Mpls. and we may or not get some. Today it is 93% humidity and only 70 for a high, and with all that Canadian smoke ug ...........Curt

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I grow 4 different types of tomato ever year,
DSCF2266.JPG

Apple Tree (Anna's) harvest was a good one, most all have been picked now.
DSCF2263.JPG

To catch the apples that fall from the tree I hang umbrellas
Apple tree branches will get pruned all the way back in winter so it can grow back next spring
DSCF2264.JPG

Apple Pie in the oven
DSCF2268.JPG

Cooking apples for good old fashion chunky apple sauce
DSCF2257.JPG

Besides making apple pies and apple sauce We make many more apple dishes
Apple cake, apple brownies, apple crunch etc...
I have to confess I skin and cut up the apples for the Chef lol
DSCF2267.JPG

I also got Tangerine, Orange, Grapefruit, trees

Last edited:

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Looks like it going your way on the raider, but dissipates before you get it, that's the way its been all summer here till now. Mpls ha been getting it all, even last winter they got a lot more snow then up here. Seems like the storm belts go from Fargo down to Mpls. and we may or not get some. Today it is 93% humidity and only 70 for a high, and with all that Canadian smoke ug ...........Curt
Curt, I always say water makes weather, and the Mississippi makes weather. Besides, the Mississippi River funnels Gulf moisture.

Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I grow 4 different types of tomato ever year,
View attachment 114500

Apple Tree (Anna's) harvest was a good one, most all have been picked now.
View attachment 114498
To catch the apples that fall from the tree I hang umbrellas
Apple tree branches will get pruned all the way back in winter so it can grow back next spring
View attachment 114499

Apple Pie in the oven
View attachment 114502

Cooking apples for good old fashion chunky apple sauce
View attachment 114496

Besides making apple pies and apple sauce We make many more apple dishes
Apple cake, apple brownies, apple crunch etc...
I have to confess I skin and cut up the apples for the Chef lol
View attachment 114501

I also got Tangerine, Orange, Grapefruit, trees
Wrench, you Cali guys are always rubbing our noses in it. But carry on, as you can;t hear our weeping and gnashing of the teeth. :D
By the way, that is a lovely apple pie.

Tom

Reactions: wrench

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Curt, I always say water makes weather, and the Mississippi makes weather. Besides, the Mississippi River funnels Gulf moisture.

Tom
Yep goes right through Brainerd it's the dividing line between east and west of Brainerd. And the main railroad is the north and south line. Mississippi was the main log run years ago to the paper mill I worked in. Rain coming tonight..........Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Looks like we got rain coming too on Monday. Drizzled for couple hours Sunday that wasn't forecast.
Won't matter round here for field corn, some is barely two foot tall and tasseled out.
One young Farmer friend said it will hardly make silage.

Tom

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Looks like we got rain coming too on Monday. Drizzled for couple hours Sunday that wasn't forecast.
Won't matter round here for field corn, some is barely two foot tall and tasseled out.
One young Farmer friend said it will hardly make silage.

Tom
That's the way it's been around here, except we did get a couple more rains then you, about 3 years ago North Dakota was the same way, big drought.......Curt

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Got to go to the beer store Tuesday. There is an Asian gal named Nancy works there. She is going to get zucchini and eggplant.
I asked her and she said she would be thankful, and I told her I am the thankful one for her to take what we can't use. I like to pass pleasantries with store keepers in the small town Ol time way.
I sharpen Nancy's kitchen cutlery too. Which is when I learned what a Nakiri knife was.

Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Got a couple of things done today. Being August, the Prickly Ash berries/ Sichuan pepper corns are ripe so I picked a hand full.
Tingles the tongue and curios flavor.
Ground Hornets are present. It appears the Blue Jays have not got them all. I cuss Blue Jays but they are **** on Wasps and Hornets.
So there some hornets about. I usually bait them with O.J. and Borax and it sorta works. Darn things are attracted to open beer and they like sweet. (Light bulb comes on) Left over Cardinal grape jelly mixed bakers yeast and boric acid roach bait.
Took 15min for the first hornet. Shortly there after a Bald Face Hornet arrived at the killer bait. The yeast and grape jelly must create a strong scent

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
We have a swamp just east of us the leads to rural wooded area, from there the deer go west through our area to the Mississippi, about 1/2 mile apart. The river has its own wooded areas and from there its all rural housing, the deer are on the move during early morning. Three years ago I had Honey crisp apple trees until the deer found them and pealed the bark off, but now have new trees inside my back fence area, gated...........Curt.