What a relief it is to start instantly...

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Just making a useless post about knowing how you've got it broken in and dialed in when it starts first turn over on a medium cool day. Right in the driveway!

I did take my spark plug out and this will be my last tank of super oil rich fuel. Saber is way way to heavy at 20:1 or so. I'm actually going to run Dominator at 30:1 now.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
30:1 should be more than fine.
I ran at 40:1 for awhile 500++ miles after break in with no problems, penzoil for air cooled 2 stroke engines.

I'll ad as a disclaimer, do not run you mix that lean, I had no problems, but still, better safe than sorry.

And yes, they do fire right up once they are broken in. Ain't it sweet?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
breaking in you will know when it has without a doubt pablo. not just from how it starts but overall performance

Can Harm Hen

Mar 1, 2008
Davis, California
Stupid question: I'm on my second tank at 16:1. Is that too oil-rich?

I'm concerned about the wrist pin bushing. I was planning to never go leaner than 20:1, but it seems like you guys are doing fine at 40:1.
Oh, i'm using Castrol 2-stroke Motorcycle oil. It doesn't say if it's synthetic...

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I ran 24:1 for break in and now I run 32:1. I've had no problems. Tore my engine down yesterday for a few modifications and everything looked real good inside. I imagine if you run that rich you'll have lots of trouble with fouled plugs....................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I put one oz of oil in the bottom of a one quart plastic bottle then I fill it with gas. that works out to 1 to 31 or so. The bike seems to love it. It starts much easier now and the compression seems to be a bit lower which is fine with me. It turns over much easier.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I ran 24:1 for break in and now I run 32:1. I've had no problems. Tore my engine down yesterday for a few modifications and everything looked real good inside. I imagine if you run that rich you'll have lots of trouble with fouled plugs....................

Not to mention bigtime carbon build up in the combustion chamber and exhaust. Sticking rings are bad.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
I do my initial start with 24:1 with about one cup of that mix after that I switch to 32:1 and have no problems. On my first bike I tried to do the 24:1 for the first 100 miles as per the break in instructions that I was given, this accomplished one thing, I was fouling plugs left and right. If I run a bike on synthetic I use a 40:1 mix...Kelly

Can Harm Hen

Mar 1, 2008
Davis, California
Hmm, my plug is fine because I'm using a NGK B7HV non-fouling plug, but it does seem awfully sooty and oily. I'll go to the gas station later this afternoon and dilute the mix with another 25 cents of gas. :D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
LoL 25 cents you got to love it.

One thing that surprises me after I switched to 1 to 31 my smoking stopped almost completely. I use the cheapest oil I can find (coastal) and the darn thing hardly smokes at all. I don't know if a four stroke sounds different but that god awful lawnmower sound is the only thing that isn't great about it.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
if you have a cheaper kit without bearings i would not run 40-1. i ran around 15-20to 1 first 4 tanks of gas till i felt it break in, been messing with 32-1 but no higher. i will probably stick with 25-1 which is what is recomended on the non bearing bicycle engine kits

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I guess my point about my oil mix is that I was running an oil designed to be run up to 100:1 and I was running it under 30:1 and that was WAY too oil rich. Dominator can be run up to 50:1. I actually mixed this batch at about 35:1. It will be fine.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My bike must be broken in. I started it today with no choke and throttle set at idle. I forgot to set it up before I took off down the drive.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If it started that easy with no choke, you may be running it a bit on the rich side. Does it run like a two stroke when you have a slight pull on it and break into a rich four stroke when you are at cruise? Or does it four stroke nearly all the time?

I just say this because I played with my carb(s) every which way and except when I had it set very rich, it wouldn't even try without some choke.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
No it has that variety of sounds. It is a warm day and it barely ran at first. I had to let it warm up a long time before it would move without the pedals. I think it is set right but when I first got it, I had to run up and down the drive two or three times now it starts just from the pedals a few feet. usually I choke it, but today I forgot.