1. Mopedamauter79

Mopedamauter79 New Member

Is it at all possible to weld these engines to the bike. Another way I could think is weld the metal bracket piece the bolts go through before they screw into the engine to keep it secured to the frame. I figure if it's welded on the bike then I would never have to worry about it coming loose the bolts or it viberating to much either.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get that stuck bolt out of the engine.

2. misteright1_99

misteright1_99 New Member

I wouldnt weld the motor to the frame. Drill the bolt and use an easy out, or cut a slot in the broken stud (if it is flush) and then you can heat it a bit and unscrew it.

3. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

I don't think you can weld aluminum to steel unless there is a some magic formula I'm not aware of...which is possible.

4. Mopedamauter79

as far as I know you can weld anything to anything...melting two metals and letting them dry together? sounds right to me, in anycase we're going to have to take the darn thing in somewhere to get this bolt out, so frusterating...

- Mopedamauter79's gf

5. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

6. Mopedamauter79

'Cause once I get his bike fixed I wont need to post anymore, just seems like wasted effort.
    -Mopedamauter79's gf

7. jasonh

jasonh New Member

Or you could always get your own username, fix his bike, then build one for yourself :)

8. FileStyle

FileStyle New Member

have you tried a easy-out there so easy! drill a small hole in your broken stud then use the easy out , it catches counter clockwise so you can remove the broken stud.

9. Mopedamauter79

We tried to drill into the bolt but the drill wont drill a hole. The best we are able to do is put a small dent into it. I dunno if the drill is not strong enough or you need a drill bit that will drill into steel.

10. Bikeguy Joe

You will need a decent drill bit, not a dollar store bit or a "multi-purpose" bit. Use some oil as you drill, light pressure, lower speed if possible.

The difference between using a good bit properly and a crappy one improperly is amazing.

11. FileStyle

FileStyle New Member

yeah , what joe said it makes a huge difference run the bit slow with some pressure , but make sure your center in the broken stud you dont want to accidently damage your threads , and drill down about 1/4" or a little more just enough so the extractor will dig in and bite. turning ccw should remove the broken stud! did you use any loctite upon first assembly on any of your studs?

12. Ilikeabikea

Ilikeabikea Moderator
    Staff Member

One thing you gotta watch out for. I was drilling a broken stud on my bicycle motor. The drill actually started turning the broken piece. By the time I had the hole drilled enough to put in the easeout it was about to fall down into the engine. That woulda ruined my day...................

13. Norman

Norman LORD VADER Moderator
    Staff Member

lefthanded drill bits are the way to go for drilling out a broken stud sometime they will screw out while drilling.

14. Mopedamauter79

How costly or feasible would Explosion welding be ?

15. Ilikeabikea

Ilikeabikea Moderator
    Staff Member

I guess I've never heard of explosion welding. It sounds like fun though..............:D

16. Bikeguy Joe

17. Bikeguy Joe

I don't think you're gonna weld anything on a bike with that technique.

18. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

When I was a kid, I used to watch my uncle do explosion welding...SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME :eek:

YouTube - At the site

19. DOC BOLM

DOC BOLM New Member

welding will not work,i have been welding 30 or more years.welding even with mig or tig your engine must be grounded ,a bearing will cause an ark between the balls and lead to bearing failure. pick up a screw and bolt removing kit at sears they work great.

#19 DOC BOLM, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  20. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

In a pinch you can sharpen a right hand drill bit to cut turning left. Takes a little practice though