Vintage Cleveland Welding BTR Build

GoldenMotor.com

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
My brother and I already have two, two stroke bikes so I figured I would go the four stroke route for this one. I am starting with a 1942 Cleveland Welding Co frame with a Columbia Springer fork. I have a 56 Briggs and Stratton that I am hoping to use as well. It is a tight fit for the engine but I have seen a couple people swing it and I am going to try to do it as well. I am starting on some fabrication tomorrow for a few things and just wanted to start this thread to pull from the wealth of knowledge this site has. I will be posting as it rolls. If anyone has any pointers or knows of any pitfalls I may run into with this configuration please share.

Thanks

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Before you start check out threads by member “msrfan”. He has built several B & S powered bikes with great success!

Good luck!, looking forward to your progress.

-Kirk

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
That's the thing with this engine, it is only a 2 hp (I think). I mean I am not really looking for anything over 25-30 mph max usually in the 23 mph mark is a nice speed to cruise. Will a 2 hp be able to kick that out, I am not sure? The bike will most likely be on the heavier side so...

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes it will do that easy,I had 1 1/2 hp Briggs on a motor bike bike back in the 50's and did about 25 mph. I like the small Briggs builds and in the proses of doing one now,1 hp with some mods. You might want to find a different carb that will get the tank out of the way if you need the room......... Curt

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That Cleveland Welding motorbike will be awesome with the unique Columbia springer and a Briggs flatty.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Yes it will do that easy,I had 1 1/2 hp Briggs on a motor bike bike back in the 50's and did about 25 mph. I like the small Briggs builds and in the proses of doing one now,1 hp with some mods. You might want to find a different cab that will get the tank out of the way if you need the room......... Curt
I am wondering if you have any suggestions for a different carb. Nothing crazy expensive but something that would work well and look good. Thanks!

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Here is where I am at with the bike build. Very early stages but this gives an idea where it is headed. I am starting my research on the engine now and how to get that rolling. I am planning a disk brake on the front. I have lot of work to do on this one but am going to take my time and make it sweet. I am looking for a Oxy-Acetylene set up now. If anyone is located in Phoenix and has the set up reasonably priced let me know.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am wondering if you have any suggestions for a different carb. Nothing crazy expensive but something that would work well and look good. Thanks!
Maybe eBay a flo-jet like msrfan uses all the old Briggs used them, get one for 3hp or get a mikuni.....Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm wondering if a motorcycle type of carb would fit. An NT carb from a China girl would be about the right size. Might need to make up your own intake manifold. I swapped a new NT onto my 99cc Predator over the winter, but haven't run it yet. Supposed to be a big improvement...
SB

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I guess the reason I am interested in the new carb is the configuration for the current one is space consuming and they use a suction feed from a tank below. I want to use a different gas tank for space issues and a direct feed to the carb gravity fed above would be ideal. I am just truing to find info on what works with these old engines. Thanks for all help.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes the NT will work also. What some are doing is useing handle bar tubing ( pre bent ) and getting some big washers the right size holes and welding up there own. Just take the washer and drill for mounting bolts and weld to the tubing,then cutting the exses off......Curt

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Subscribed! Looks like an awsome build! Im over in Chandler. Once your done we should meet up at a car / bike show. I take one build or another up to the Pavilions in Scottsdale bout once a month. What wheels are you using. AND what are your plans for brakes. You'll be doing more than 30, I'll wager.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
Subscribed! Looks like an awsome build! Im over in Chandler. Once your done we should meet up at a car / bike show. I take one build or another up to the Pavilions in Scottsdale bout once a month. What wheels are you using. AND what are your plans for brakes. You'll be doing more than 30, I'll wager.
I am definitely down with meeting up for some car/bike shows. My brother and I both do the motorized bike thing. I am using some wheelmaster 24" with the 12 gauge spokes. The tires are some duro slicks. I am using a coaster on the back and I am planning a disk brake for the front. I am trying to locate a oxyacetylene set up right now to finish this up within the next couple months. I have a two stroke now that is pretty decent. I am in Tempe so the Scottsdale thing is definitely doable. I have met a few people in town that get into these as well

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
So, I have been loading up on parts and picked up an arc welder this weekend. I should be posting more progress soon. I stripped the engine and am thinking about getting rid of the fins on the flywheel and the shroud.
I went riding on the china girl this weekend and felt more wind from the ride than I have felt the fins produce so I think I am good on the overheating. I do not have a lathe so if anyone has an idea where to pick one (flywheel) up on the cheap. I would appreciate it.

Here is a photo of the engine cleaned up a little. It looks like a friggin flathead toaster!!!! Love it!

Attachments

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If the flywheel is aluminum you can tap and break the fins of start it up and use a grinder to clean it up.........Curt

Ragnarok

May 26, 2014
Baytown, Texas
so how do you think you will want to get power back to the rear wheel? CVT? jack shaft with sprockets? perhaps a centrifugal clutch with belt drive?

:)

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I am still trying to get that together. I was thinking a 10t cent clutch up front a 14t 1st on jackshaft to a 10t to a 44t on the wheel. I have tried a few ratio calculators and that seems to be doable unless I am missing something. I am thinking of making my own with some pillow block bearings. Max speed around 35. Bikes seem way to flimsy to do over that. Phoenix has some rough roads and I do not want a f'd up street putting me in the hospital. I am using some old ass springers up front which is a slight concern.