Villiers beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The motor shafts are a good idea if they're long enough. Usually the exposed part is all you get, as the inner part has an armature built onto it and is not removable easily, if at all. I don't know your time table, but if you want to look through the McMaster Carr catalog and supply me with the part numbers you need, I'll be glad to purchase them on my account and send them to you. The prices are listed in US dollars. With shipping I don't know if it would be cost effective or not. I'm off to work now and will check the forum a couple of times during the day. Let me know if i can help. Non keyed straight shaft will work if after you get your pulleys and bearings lined up, dimple the shaft with a drill bit for the set screws.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks so much msrfan, that would be greatly appreciated. I will take a look and let you know.

You mentioned i could use a non keyed staright shaft, i think i seen a straight shaft for sale cheaply on EBay for a boat trailer or something. I wonder if the quality of the steel is cheaper on these?

Also i have a question as far as drilling a dimple for the set screw. I am not a engineer, and im not doubting it would work, im just a little amazed that the pulley is being driven only by the set screw, at least in a keyed shaft the key would be sharing the load.

Ill see if i can find the straight shaft again on EBay first and see if its long enough, also someone may know wheteher the steel is high enough quality.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I did see some cheap ones on Ebay however they are in America, they are straight shaft for a boat trailer. Like i said i wonder if the steel is high enough quality. If so maybe i should try ringing local boat shops.

I have tried Go Kart supplies, but i seem to only be able to find proper race Go Kart shops where they dont deal with them, or your cheaper shops that also import mini bikes, and most of them have either closed or number disconnected (obviously not a good business model lol)....

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im not sure how to link an EBay item but here goes. EBay boat shaft 13 1/4 x 5/8 shaft for 12 inch boat trailer rollers Item number: 360347806494

If this is good enough i could try and sorce locally from boat shops

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I removed the kickstarter from the mower.

But if i mount it in the same position as on the mower it hits the pedals.

For the kickstarter to clear the pedals i would need to mount it higher, which doesnt look good not to mention i would need a big bracket. Doesnt really work.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I dont know if this would work.... but if i tapped a thread in the unused end (opposite end to where the pulleys are mounted) of my 5/8 jackshaft shaft to accept my freewheel kickstart gear/sprocket thingy, and mounted the kickstarter to engage the jackshaft.

Would that work? Maybe not... it would mean i would need to kick it in gear and would also turn the rear wheel (so a bikestand would be a must). Also the gearing would be different to start it. So it mightnt start? I really dont know if this is possible. So any advice would be appreciated....

If it worked it would end up mounted in this area....

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I put my rear wheel in for a look. Obviously i need to widen the frame, and the disc caliper is off and the wheels just sitting in there so nothing is being bent. So i just need to cut the rear triangle and move it out a little when i can organise eith my brother or friend to use their welder.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey Harry. I found a couple more shafts on ebay. You're right about just dimpling the shaft. Keys are much stronger. It would be last resort for low hp applications. I've never had any dealings with boat roller shafts, so I don't know the quality or precision. One of the listed vendors ships worldwide. I don't know about the other one.

Mini Bike Go Kart STEEL JACKSHAFT 12" X 5/8 - eBay (item 390120370734 end time Jun-11-11 13:25:35 PDT)
Thanks, but the one you listed only ships to the US. But if they make them for go karts (i presume more DIY then for race karts???) surely they are available here. Maybe i just need to look a little harder here. Maybe look more at go kart suppliers

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
This is the same problem that Silverbear ran into. We were talking about a strap wrapped around the fly wheel and just pulling it like a starter rope.

Can you make a longer kick start arm so you can move the pivot point back from the chain ring and closer to the frame? Then weld the cog on the end of that to kick over the motor?

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hopefully ill be able to start mine by bump starting it...

Ive got a longer kickstarter on my other mower, but the teeth in it engage a larger cog so i dont think it would work on this, i could probably swap the teeth around but its a big heavy kickstart, and when used to engage the flywheel sprocket is in the way, even if i bent a longer kickstart and moved it inwards..... thats why IF i could mount it to engage the jackshaft it would still be light (smaller kickstart) and out of the way. But like i said im not sure it would work. But i think the "Diixe Flyer" build used a kickstart on the jackshaft if i remember correctly

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Thought I'd add this info if your still looking.

I bought a jack shaft kit from local go cart shop that supplies parts and also in the process found where you can order individual supplies at another shop online. This place in Texas, USA says they ship outside USA but you have to contact to find the freight shipping cost.

On the page Jackshafts & Jackshaft Kits

ORDERING ...... talks about international shipping to contact

look down below the kits from the first link and see the shafts only.

Found 5/8" OD with Keyway full length on Lengths from 4.5" to 16" with range of 5 sizes. The prices range $4.10 to $5.95 not yet including any tax or shipping which you would have to contact about.

There is the post on this site about what I bought locally and maybe the company that supplies those ships from California USA can do overseas, but don't know. Not sure if they have individual shaft part too. You may check there Azusa Engineering, Inc. Web Site - Home Page

The post #47 on my-first-project-briggs-3-hp of MB Member DISCONTINUUITY's thread

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/my-first-project-briggs-3-hp-19077-6.html#post216248

=====================

You sure got some great find on the old reel mower! Styling!

I remember when I disassemble the Briggs 5S stuffed in a carryon luggage and had my father a physics instructor explain to TSA a long time ago, 1980, that it was OK to take onboard. Never would happen like that anymore since 9-11. I had as I said the reel mower, Motor Mower Company rest of it, but it got retrashed. Yep I found that 5S in the trash. Also a 6S but without the crank case cover on which the points mount. That part is interchangeable for 5S and 6S, so I have spare parts.

Measure Twice

PS

That bike looks larger than 2hp on that MSRFAN posted, and that reel mower that you got on Ebay, nice!

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
SB has his bike frame at the welders getting a section of a girls bike put in so he has more room for the motor. Then he should be able to make mount for both engines and have them welded into the bikes.

Haven't heard anything from england about my motor so sent him an enquiry about it today but haven't heard back.

When I was talking about the kick start I was thinking that you would have to start out with steel plate and cut out a whole kick start pedal and put the cog on the end.

SB is having trouble with his internet conection and can't log on to the Forum. He'll be back as soon as he can get it straightened out.

Steve.

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
This is playing my mind, how does the kicker disengage?

I think you could make a new kicker that looked better and had a different angle, so you could mount it wherever was most convienient.

As for hooking it up to the lay shaft, it could work - as long as its supported well.

Cheers, Cam.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The kickstarter has a spring on it to return to a neutral position. and that cog thingy that bolts to the flywheel shaft has a freewheel on it..... is that what you mean Cam?

Is the lay shaft the jackshaft shaft?

If i have the same pulley sizes on my primary drive, do both shafts (motor shaft and jackshaft) spin at the same rpm???? In other words if i use the kickstarter on the jackshaft and both pulleys are same diameter, will the motors shaft spin at the same rpm and start normally?????

Cam Nz

May 14, 2011
Whangarei, New Zealand
Yes and yes, thanks i didnt think the cog had a free wheel, mine must be seized then!

Yes they do, and yes it would work, as long as it was setup like the motor kickstarter, just on the jackshaft.

I can make you one up dude.

Cheers, Cam.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I appreciate the offer, but im wondering what the postage would be. I didnt get a chance to get a price today. I cleaned and organised my work are so now i have room to work. So i wonder if i should just get a price locally???? I dunno