Venice OM FLYER race bike

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's my newest race bike... a SE Racing OM Flyer. I originaly built the engine in a rush the night before Bairds last race at Adams raceway.
The engine ran well at that race, but it was fresh 'out of the box' & only mildly ported with a reed valve... It ran good but really lacked top speed. :(

I've been working on it in my spare time to try to make it faster for the big So-Cal races next month.
I just finished doing a full port job on the engine, & I installed a front disc brake & a 38T rear sprocket.
It's main speed parts are a old skool Raw engine, Arrow reed valve, SBP pipe, Kings 38T & a Mikuni carb. I'm also switching back to my old 'semi slick' street tires instead of the Hookworms. (Yes, that blue bottle under the seat is the gas tank)... It holds just enough for about 20 laps around the track. ;)

I'm really hoping that all this work to it will get my fat a$$ around the track a lot faster this time! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Nice ride norm... I have some 4 in alum tubing and will make you a tank for that top tube... Just get me a bung and the rest is on me. That way you can get that seat low and go balls out.... Around the corners.... Let me know...

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've been working hard in my spare time trying to upgrade my OM as much as possible before the upcoming races... I re-worked the intake manifold to mount the carb on the opposite side of the bike, (big thanks to CCC for the help on that).

I installed the large expansion pipe from my older race bike; I did more port work to the engine & I installed some 'slicks' that I think will work well on the track.
Now all I have left is to make a nice handle bar mounted fuel tank & it'll be ready to go! (^)

Here's some pix...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Norm, what? Pizza cutters? You ditch the H-Worms for pizza cutters.....this will be interesting. Nice looking bike tho! C-ya at the races bro.

dnut

I'd like to go burn up a BMX track with that bike :D

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Scott... The Hook Worms wouldn't clear the chain :( , so I switched back to the smaller 'semi slicks' that I had on my first race bike. Now I found these & I'm going to test them at the track, & if I don't like em, I'll bring the semi slicks to the track to put back on. ;)

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I started work on the handle bar gas tank.
I made this from a 1qt kerosene can... I moved the cap to the side of the can & sealed the top. Now I have to coat the inside with a few coats of Caswell tank sealer (to make it strong incase of a crash); install the shut off valve, paint it, & make sure the mounting straps will be strong enough for racing. ;)

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I finished the gas tank today... It works great, (& isn't too big for the bars). (^)
Both ends of the tank are beefed up with a layer of JB, & the inside of the tank is coated with two layers of Caswell tank sealer. That should make it strong enough not to leak in the case of a crash. (knock on wood)... :rolleyes: :)

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The tank turned out nice Norm (^) That wheelset with those tires should actually be faster as they are lighter and have less rolling resistance than the Hookworms. You should run as much pressure in those tires as possible, even though you like to run them soft. The harder they are, the faster they will be as long as they stick to the track ;)

dnut

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
NIce bike. Any updates on how it turned out/ran.
The bike ran real fast all day at the last race... It was 107 degees at the track & the engine didn't seem to mind.
It was definately one of the faster bikes in it's class; but I weigh 210 lbs & I need to lose at least 50 lbs if I ever hope to have a chance beating those skinny guys! :-||

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I posted these pix all over FB today... I built a brand new engine for my 'Old Man' & I tried a few new things to see if I can make more power from it for the big So-Cal race on April 13th.

Threre's still more to do to get it ready.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's good to hear the kids are free, but we'll be asking grandma if she can watch them for the day. ;)

We're just planning to come out for a day of fun & to see what my new engine can do... nothing too serious. :)