Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Stuff like that is gorgeous, I'll admit. But one must wonder just how practical they were.

That thing looks heavy. And those narrow steel wheels would sink into soft ground, I would think. And they might have poor traction on harder, but also uneven, ground.

A brick-paved street might have been a good surface for this. But almost anything else might be a nightmare.

Though I wouldn't want to sound as though I'm knocking the designer and the builder. No doubt they worked with what was available. But I'm feeling pretty grateful that more versatile materials are available to me.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I would imagine that these early pedalcars were intended to be used on pavement or a similar smooth surface. They look like they were fairly heavy for their size, but I suppose children were tough little blighters back then.

I often wonder how a scaled up version would work as a local use velocar. I suppose my thoughts are drifting that way because I've been using my Hercules tricycle more often lately and that isn't exactly what you'd call lightweight either.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes that would be a nice car scaled up. Kool pedal car as is. I think it would be great to do

Bluegoatwoods,its just like all the other first built old stuff with the bone shaker wheels back then,even the first motor cycles were like that. What a rid that had to be............Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
I would imagine that these early pedalcars were intended to be used on pavement or a similar smooth surface. They look like they were fairly heavy for their size, but I suppose children were tough little blighters back then.

I often wonder how a scaled up version would work as a local use velocar. I suppose my thoughts are drifting that way because I've been using my Hercules tricycle more often lately and that isn't exactly what you'd call lightweight either.
------------------------------------
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif] ... and, Annie - it is French again![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]But, it is wonderful as all of ancient pedal-cars. I suppose that they were kid-cars and used on privileged surfaces (parks, private or public and so on), so simple wheel shouldn't be problem. Beside, it had good springing at the rear. I think that pedaling wasn't so easy with such position of seat and pedals - legs couldn't be stretched enough. I had such experience with promenade-carnival quadricycle (when I was young) - quite terrible. Making it bigger shouldn't be problem, using wood or metal for chassis, even a lot of components from my present quadricycle. It has now 52 kg ~ 115 pounds. With careful constructing, new one shouldn't be much heavier? With light engine - still a lot under 100 kg ~ 220 pounds. With two persons pedaling it could be movable up to 15 mph and with engine even more? Of course, not for highway or any unprotected areas. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Some time ago I posted a few photos with tandem-seats pedal-powered vehicles... There is a lot of advantages and some problems – but, could be solved. Only, it isn't “sociable” anymore: no side-by-side seating and talking during rides. (one old-style tube between us. or two cans on rope?)
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]This one is cute: in the same time veteran car, HPV (+motorised possibly), simple and cheap, practical and comfortable... with “Bimini top”, even more![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Ciao,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]P.S.: Annie, you are right – that green tandem on my photos are practically buck-board with different seating than usual bench or bucket seats... However, more practical for only-engine power than for hybrid (pedals and engine)... Platform/chassis should be lower a lot to accept pedals over it?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]P.P.S: What is the weight of your Hercules or your Rickshaw? [/FONT]

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hello Zoran,

Well you know how I like French cyclecars and such :)

I've never actually weighed either my tricycle or my rickshaw, but I can tell you that my rickshaw needed two of us to get it up and onto the back of the truck when I went to collect it around eight years ago and it would have been very nice if there had been a third helper because I'm not as strong as I used to be.
The rickshaw's body isn't made of plywood by the way, it's made of hardwood planks covered with galvanised iron and it was built to last. Being a single speed and very low geared it's fairly easy to get rolling on the flat, but I've never tried riding it up any sort of hill or slope.

With my Hercules tricycle the front half of it weighs as much as any old fashioned 'grandma' bicycle with most of the weight being on the rear of the tricycle. As it is at the moment I can manage to lift the rear wheels clear of the ground so long as I'm not holding onto it for too long. When it still had its full load of batteries and rear motor hub wheel I wouldn't even attempt to lift it. Again its very low geared and can haul the full load of the week's grocery shopping for my daughter and I with ease. (And let me tell you my daughter can eat, you'd definitely only want to keep her for a week rather than a fortnight ;) )

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
and, Annie - it is French again!
But, it is wonderful as all of ancient pedal-cars. I suppose that they were kid-cars and used on privileged surfaces (parks, private or public and so on), so simple wheel shouldn't be problem. Beside, it had good springing at the rear. I think that pedaling wasn't so easy with such position of seat and pedals - legs couldn't be stretched enough. I had such experience with promenade-carnival quadricycle (when I was young) - quite terrible. Making it bigger shouldn't be problem, using wood or metal for chassis, even a lot of components from my present quadricycle. It has now 52 kg ~ 115 pounds. With careful constructing, new one shouldn't be much heavier? With light engine - still a lot under 100 kg ~ 220 pounds. With two persons pedaling it could be movable up to 15 mph and with engine even more? Of course, not for highway or any unprotected areas.

I think this old tandem design would work out well with the modifications you suggest Zoran. True enough a Sociable would be nicer, but a tandem would be easier to ride on cycle paths and the like as well as not needing so much room to store away.
A nice speaking tube might solve the problem of being able to talk to one another.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Anne,

I've looked at that pedal car a few times now and with the speaker tube I can envision the car with a steel tube frame and a sprung differential rear end and a decent electric motor with a very similar body but the back closed in as per the older landau style. Open front for the chauffeur with a fold back roof and side curtains.

My lady could be dry and warm as she goes about town on business. Time to take my reality medicine again but the flights of fancy are indeed fun.

Steve.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Anne,

I've looked at that pedal car a few times now and with the speaker tube I can envision the car with a steel tube frame and a sprung differential rear end and a decent electric motor with a very similar body but the back closed in as per the older landau style. Open front for the chauffeur with a fold back roof and side curtains.

My lady could be dry and warm as she goes about town on business. Time to take my reality medicine again but the flights of fancy are indeed fun.

Steve.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]-----------------------------------
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Hello Steve,[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Just right idea![/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]After I properly design positions and relations of seating, steering and pedaling for two of us - I could add any stylish details and make some "classic limousine"! [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif](making sporting type should be pathetic, with speeds up to 20 mph?)

As Annie said: maybe tandem seats are better for narrow bicycles paths and lines. Beside, such vehicle should less looks as some DIY automobile. In a few days, I will test present variant of my HPV quadricycle and later see what are impressions of public and authorities!

Maybe to return to my first variant, at least for general layout of seating position... But, simpler and better, with wheelbase longer for 2 feet.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Zoran [/FONT]

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
HPV. I sincerely hope you do not mean Human Papilloma Virus, that would be a strange transport indeed.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
HPV. I sincerely hope you do not mean Human Papilloma Virus, that would be a strange transport indeed.
-----------------
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Ludwig,[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]I had to check what it is, but it sound terrible. [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]But, don't worry be happy - internet is sterile![/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Happily and luckily I only thought on Human-Powered-Vehicles!
Most of abbreviations sound terrible! I remember when one lady from solo-people forum ask me if I had MSN , or at least could she give me SMS: I thought that both of them must be some immoral disease![/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The only immoral diseases are those which can be cured but, because of man made obstructions, aren't.

End of political disturbance. I'll go and liedown quietly now.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
The one problem I can see with your quadricycle Zoran is that it doesn't look easy to get in and out of. Nice woodwork by the way :)
-----------------
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Annie,[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Quite right - and, because of that I transformed it in "full-metal" version, with me seating at bicycle-type seat at almost normal position and wife at armchair at front: rickshaw style... Too narrow, too high and too short![/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]- photos was posted some time ago!
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]It wasn’t easy to climb to rear seat (wife's) and difficult to front, but not impossible. Beside, I didn't solve issues of pedaling from front seats. [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Next variant, if keep it tandem: wife again at rear but with free entrance from side (no horizontal tube)...Therefore some new chassis, maybe again wood? Being longer for 2 feet there would be easier entrance to my seat.... I have to check all that on precise sketches!
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Maybe not to change anything, but my wife should like to pedal (again!)[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
... attached are photos of present veriant!
Distance between wheels (centre to centre of tyre) is 80 cm ~ 31 1/5" and wheelbase is 108 cm ~ 42 1/5", could be longer, but I wouldn't to cut new bicycles!
Shall be tested as it is, before cutting and choping for making new variant!
Z.

Last edited: