Tries but won’t start. need help!

GoldenMotor.com

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I got this kit 6 months ago and it has been a nightmare since. At this point in time it has started once for 4 minutes then died and has never started since. It has spark, compression, doesn’t flood anymore, carb is tuned pretty good I’m not sure what to do at this point. When I try to start it i can feel the engine jerking and sometimes pulls me a bit but never really starts or stays running. I just need tips to try and get this thing started. I feel like I’ve tried everything. I have also gone through the basic troubleshooting steps posted on this forum but it didn’t work.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'm thinking that you are missing something, maybe looking right at it and not seeing it. These things are really simple once one understands them. Maybe you should try to find someone near you to help you with it.

At my shop, it never takes more than 10 to 15 minutes to start a dead motor or to point to the part that is bad.

Reactions: Chaz

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I would again encourage you to try a non resistor plug. I think it is pretty much accepted that these ignition systems are on the weak side and, by the luck of the components draw, yours may be even weaker. That's why I suggest you make the least resistant path. You can try closing the gap a bit on the plug to help it fire. You don't have to stay at a smaller gap but just to try to get her going. Also, the stock plug boot has a bad reputation and you might have more luck with an automotive plug boot.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I'm thinking that you are missing something, maybe looking right at it and not seeing it. These things are really simple once one understands them. Maybe you should try to find someone near you to help you with it.

At my shop, it never takes more than 10 to 15 minutes to start a dead motor or to point to the part that is bad.
I did try to bring it to a small engine repair shop and they just said it was junk engine. These bikes are not very popular were I am so there is no shop that sells these kits or specializes in them anywhere near me. I can also send pictures of the bike. Maybe there’s something you can see is wrong just not sure what to send pictures of.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I would again encourage you to try a non resistor plug. I think it is pretty much accepted that these ignition systems are on the weak side and, by the luck of the components draw, yours may be even weaker. That's why I suggest you make the least resistant path. You can try closing the gap a bit on the plug to help it fire. You don't have to stay at a smaller gap but just to try to get her going. Also, the stock plug boot has a bad reputation and you might have more luck with an automotive plug boot.
Tried a non resistance plug ngk b7rhs. Didn’t make too much of a difference in getting the thing started I’ll try to get a automotive plug boot.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
"b7rhs" the "r" in that model # stands for "resistor"

even with no shops near you, there may be a rider there that knows a bit about these

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I posted an ad a couple of places to see if anyone who has experience can help me but in the meantime could the carb be on too much of an angle?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
take out plug - put in a couple drops of fuel - put in plug & see if it pops once or twice

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
take out plug - put in a couple drops of fuel - put in plug & see if it pops once or twice
Thank you so much for that tip. First I made the plug gap smaller, then I took off the spark plug and put some gas in the cylinder. I tried to start it, forgot to put the plug cap on so I put it in and tried and it was sooo close. I put more gas in and it started instantly. I took this thing around the block and got to like 40km/h. It ran great it just didn’t idle but I’ll fix that. When I was about to come home I broke the chain some how but I’ll get a new one.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I just need to work on the idle fix the chain, and she’s golden for now

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I should also mention the chain isn’t broken per say but one of the links came out the spark plug is also very black so it’s running rich. Can I just hammer the links back in place or should I just get a new chain?

Aluminum Dragon

May 1, 2018
I should also mention the chain isn’t broken per say but one of the links came out the spark plug is also very black so it’s running rich. Can I just hammer the links back in place or should I just get a new chain?
Personally I would get a new chain

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yes, chains that have been damaged may have a bit of a twist in them that can tear things up

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
yes, chains that have been damaged may have a bit of a twist in them that can tear things up
Well I went to the store and got a new chain that works well but now I have idle problems. I notice the rpms fluctuating while idleing. Randomly revs higher then goes back down. Sometimes it just stall out because the rpms drop so much. I think it’s a vacuum leak but I’m not 100% sure.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
yeah, could be leak or maybe a fuel delivery problem
I wrapped the carb clamp area and intake with electrical tape and put a pipe clamp over were the old clamp was so it might be a fuel delivery but what causes a fuel delivery problem.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
small piece of crap in fuel line sometimes block fuel sometimes letting it in - float rubbing something inside bowl - missing "c" clip on needle

also, wrapping outside of carb is no guarantee that a leak there is sealed

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Sorry for the late response but after the whole electrical tape thing there was no change in performance or idleing. I moved the c clip up one to the third position or second from the top because the engine was running rich and no difference. The inside of the carb bowl was spotless no dirt or anything and the jet or fuel line was not clogged at all It still refuses to idle unless it's reving insanely high and eventually it still stalle out . It also runs very rough in the low rpms and is constantly reving up and down. Is this maybe because the engine is breaking in and only has like 20km or 12miles on it?