thinking of doing a dax ktm build, but need help

GoldenMotor.com

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
so im tired of my crap china girl. ive got a huge list of problems this junk has had. i want something that wont break down after an hour of use. from looking at the gp50 my throttle will work with it, is it the rt carb or something different? what will i need to set up the clutch? i doubt my current one from my kit would work. also what are some mounting techniques? can someone suggest and a 7 speed bike with steel frame, suspension, and possibly disc brakes? also where can i find some good tires.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
go to the race and have a look around. all your questions will be answered and you can see for yourself what works and sometimes what doesn't. high hp engines require proper mounts for drivetrain and braking. look and learn works for me. dennis

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
wow. that's up north. theres a race in victorville saturday and some norcal guys are coming. maybe you can hitch a ride. its a long one but the guys from the north always show up so that has something to say about the fun they have. look in the race section for a ride. thud&son drove from michigan for bairdco's race on the planet mercury aka adam's msp. they almost died but said they had a great time. hope to see you there. dennis

Last edited:

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
hhmmm victorville eehh? thats not too far, about a 4 hour drive for me. it sure sounds like a lot of a
fun! so i noticed that its a centrifigual clutch. this mean that i dont even need a clutch lever correct? so if i get this motor will the cdi i got with my ht kit work? aslo wat about the chain drive? i have my 415 chain and tensioner with the rag joint, will that be good enough for the power of the ktm?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
that dax motor has its own cdi, carb and yes a cent clutch. but i warn you everything will need expensive up grades [ it would tear your rag joint out first time out ] these are mini moto cross motors made for racing not putting around. if you want to stay low tec. i'd get a nice 4 stroker. good luck and if you show up it will be worth your time to see what your be getting yourself into. it ain't cheep. dennis

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
You can't cruise with these motors either. It's either floor it or idle. The clutch doesn't work to only go 20mph. Considering it's meant to be in a dirt bike, it makes sense. You can adjust the clutch to try and get it where you're comfortable, but it will never work like a 4 stroke build one.

None-the-less, it would be a heck of a lot of fun and make for a very cool bike. Idk how much research you've put into it, but here's a quick list:

custom motor mounts (it's made for a bike frame)
Sprocket clamp dealio. No rag joint. I think an axle clamp would work or a top hat adapter
Front disc brakes. This bike will have way too much power to not have a front disc brake
Modification to exhaust. It probably won't fit your bike the way it is, again because it's meant for a dirt bike.

Other miscellaneous stuff but I think those are the important parts.

Last edited:

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
If that's the case, this motor would be great. I edited my post above if you didn't see it.

A build will cost you 1000-1200 probably. Assuming you don't have a bike yet for it. I'm hoping to do one soon in the future too!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You can't cruise with these motors either. It's either floor it or idle. The clutch doesn't work to only go 20mph. Considering it's meant to be in a dirt bike, it makes sense. You can adjust the clutch to try and get it where you're comfortable, but it will never work like a 4 stroke build one.
i can......

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
You end up needing other stuff to deal with the speed safely, like good brakes and stuff which drives up the cost. I can't wait to rip on mine but I'm taking time to make sure to approach the build right because there is a whole lot of opportunity for danger with 9 hp.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
You can't cruise with these motors either. It's either floor it or idle. The clutch doesn't work to only go 20mph.
I cannot speak for the Dax motor I have never had the pleasure of riding one. But on my Morini, we have a 19.999mph speed limit and I have no problem cruising at the speed limit or below it.