The random tandem thus far

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Missing...? I'm not catching it! Would a video help?
I want you to turn it into a 3 speed shifter. Use a Strumey Archer S3X IGH. Then it be like having a 36t,48t,58t in the rear. From a dead stop, you could go up any hill at least 27 mph and have a level ground cruising speed of 43 mph.

Last edited:

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Yes yes Jerry I am interested !

Do you have any suggestions on how to do this? Is there anything I can reference as a pattern or are you suggesting that I devise a way to do it?

Something like a jackshaft but on the drive side?

I have a RX-RFS STURMY ARCHER would that do the same thing?

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
You still would need to figure an output sprocket and another dropout to mid mount it somewhere like a jackshaft. I’d just go direct drive until you get the entire build situated. The jackshaft hub will add a great deal of complexity.

Reactions: Wevil Kenevil

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Yes yes Jerry I am interested !

Do you have any suggestions on how to do this? Is there anything I can reference as a pattern or are you suggesting that I devise a way to do it?

Something like a jackshaft but on the drive side?

I have a RX-RFS STURMY ARCHER would that do the same thing?
Here's the thread on the bike in the picture.

If I'm remembering it correctly Cannonball modified a the direct drive (2nd) causing the hub to no longer coast but act like a fixed gear in that it could go in either direction. Meaning you didn't have to cross over to the right side to drive the IGH; both sprockets could be put on the left side.

The Strumey Archer S3X is a fixed geared IGH. The 3rd gear is the direct drive. Therefore there's no need to go inside of the hub.

1) ⅝\1
2) ¾\1
3) 1\1

You can get a U bracket from Staton Inc. I can also show you a way to make this bracket twice as strong using unistrut.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wevil Kenevil

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Here's the thread on the bike in the picture.

If I'm remembering it correctly Cannonball modified a the direct drive (2nd) causing the hub to no longer coast but act like a fixed gear in that it could go in either direction. Meaning you didn't have to cross over to the right side to drive the IGH; both sprockets could be put on the left side.

The Strumey Archer S3X is a fixed geared IGH. The 3rd gear is the direct drive. Therefore there's no need to go inside of the hub.

1) ⅝\1
2) ¾\1
3) 1\1

You can get a U bracket from Staton Inc. I can also show you a way to make this bracket twice as strong using unistrut.

This is brilliant! It may take some time, but I'm building one. Thank you for bringing this to my attention because I got that sturmy in a trade and it's just been sitting here and this is perfect!