The Epic an electric tri car.

GoldenMotor.com

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The Epic's tank is shaped up. As I figured the metal slid a little despite being mailed into place. The nails just went into 1/4" plywood so there wasn't much to hold them given the amount of clamps I had to use.

Tomorrow the seams will get a thin coat of J B Weld and a sanding.

Steve.

Attachments

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Result! Good looking tank, Steve.
When you've finished titifying (surprise!...the moderators didn't blank that one out!) the tank's joints with a skim of JBweld, remind me what's the plan for the colour scheme on this build.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Pete,
Thank you and I wish I had an answer for you as to colour. I'm flipping and flopping around about that like a freshly caught trout on a river bank. Looking at a lot of the old paint colours on the bikes of the era doesn't help either because every time I see one I like, something even more appealing comes along.

I am open to suggestions however.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Pete, I spent a goodly part of last night looking at colour photos of vintage motorcycles to see what was used in the era and I kept coming back to the lighter grey {Harley-Davidson} and darker green that they used not that the colour palette was that broad in those days. Perhaps a deep yellow is a possibility.

Accented with pin striping of the variety available in a roll. I did have a nodding friend of a friend of a friendship with a pin stripper in Vancouver years ago by the name of Shaky Dave. He did have a tremor in his hands which was relieved by a tobacco like substance now legal here in Canada but not at the time.

Dave left us a number of years ago to answer a higher calling. A lot higher than Dave ever was in life I'm sure although I did see him when he was a few thousand feet above reality.

The gas tank calls me. Time for a gas and oil filler cap.

Steve.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Sticking with a restricted colour palette is the best move Steve. Once you start to over-think paint colour, therein lies madness.

Despite being a time-served graphic artist, I can procrastinate for England when it comes to choosing which colour to paint anything.
I tend to stick with a limited range of colours from the RAL range and usually make a perfectly good paint decision early on in the process. But then I foolishly go back several times over the months to waste my time looking at postage stamp sized RAL paint chips online and change my mind umpteen times - only to end up going with my original colour choice in the end.

I'll admit to having purchased a good many mixed-to-order rattle cans of RAL paint from my usual supplier in Northern Ireland and the cans have never been used. Still have a box of these unused rattle cans stashed somewhere in my storage facility. The difference between actual rattle-can paint and colour chips viewed online can be disappointingly poles apart. I'm sure those Irish folks send me entirely different colours sometimes. I reckon there's definitely a market for miniature 'tester' cans of spray paint, same as those tester pots of household emulsion paint, to help avoid costly mistakes when it comes to colour selection.

I like your idea of a 'deep yellow'. Pinstriped, of course. RAL do a greeny/brownish yellow colour, aptly called curry, but baby pooh would also be descriptively correct, which I've always wanted to use on a vintage themed build. Reminds me of one of Harley's early colours. Vintage bikes I've seen painted in a similar colour look 'right' for the period.