Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Glad you didn't get tickets or maltreatment, but yeah, it's a good idea to have ID.

I've been pulled over a few times, and the cops weren't so chatty, but they weren't abusive. Once I got a warning and was directed to ride on the shoulder "like a bicycle", a little curtly. Another time a Sheriff asked me "what the **** are you doing?", but gave me back by bike and belongings after some questioning and a search. He did give a courtesy call to another county so they wouldn't pull me over there. I did see the officer in the next county, but he was polite and just asked my name, then drove away.

I think police either don't know much about these, or are suspicious of people building overpowered bikes and skirting rules. Since TX really is a "gray area" about mabs, you might have that in your favor if you are polite and just give them the information they want, and don't run any lights or do any erratic maneuvering. Remember that idiot cagers and homeowners might call police on you, and the cops have to answer it, even if they don't have a problem with you by themselves. Some might assume you are an unlicensed driver, related to alcohol charges, especially if you ride downtown or near bars.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You make an interesting point about the rear flashers. I've used them for years on conventional bicycles. They seem to annoy some drivers, who will tailgate, then pass abruptly. On motorized bicycles, I've had some pass less abruptly (perhaps because I went fast?) and just tap their brake lights a few times or turn their hazard lights on, as if to say, hey your blinker/flasher's on. A few have also honked at me if it is on, and I am in the right lane at a stop light, and they are wanting to turn right-on-red. Maybe they think it's a blinker.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yeah, the taillight I'm using lately has, I think 6 choices. I only like about 2 of them. Either on all the time, or flashing at about 1/2 second intervals. The rest I feel look kind of confusing from a distance to drivers, or don't show up well.

I'm thinking the 1/2 second flashing is the most identifiable as a bicycle from distance. Another plus is the batteries last longer in that mode.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Planet Bike Superflash is the best one I've ever had.
They used to be about $30, but now closer to $20. They seal really well, never had corroded batteries. They are BRIGHT, and simply have an on/off function.

$25 including "free shipping" from LL Bean catalog http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65820?pi=1105881&subrnd=0&qs=3006448_pmd_amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RZ94MU...nd=1640895951715747873&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= video review

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nlwbFpjdL._AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Last edited:

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
the same thing happen to me biknut her in oklahoma city - i didnt receive at ticket, but i was given a warning to at least get insurance on it... which is hard to do without a VIN number... so i went ahead and did the paper work...

but it was just one police officer who gave me problems, the rest are more about where could they get one!!!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
the same thing happen to me biknut her in oklahoma city - i didnt receive at ticket, but i was given a warning to at least get insurance on it... which is hard to do without a VIN number... so i went ahead and did the paper work...

but it was just one police officer who gave me problems, the rest are more about where could they get one!!!
I'm glad you can still ride neighbor. I don't know much about MB laws in Oklahoma. I've heard different, and conflicting reports. It would be impossible to insure a MB here in Texas at this time, too.

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
you would think with all the drunk drivers, speeders and outlaws out there, they would have something better to do than mess with a cyclist on the road behaving himself...

go figure...

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
I'm glad you can still ride neighbor. I don't know much about MB laws in Oklahoma. I've heard different, and conflicting reports. It would be impossible to insure a MB here in Texas at this time, too.
here in the city, i guess if you put a engine in a wheel barrel, its considered a motor vehicle...

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
These guys are in the business of public safety amongst other goals and if I was a cop seeing a bicycle flyin down the street with an engine on it my first thought would be some kid done went and figured out how to motorize his darn bike and is likely about to get himself killed better check this out (the cop is responsible for safety on his beat and if somebody gets dead....) THEN once you get pulled over YOUR attitude generally sets the pace for further interrogation or OTOH a nice friendly chat with the officer (I guarantee you this is his preference LOL)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yesterday, I got a big surprise. I was driving in my own neighborhood less than a block from my house, when I saw a bicycle in front of me. What a surprise when, as I passed by, I noticed it was a china girl. I had to make a u turn and go back and find out this guys story.

He lives on the the street next to mine, one block over. I've seen him before in front of his house. He stands out like a sore thumb, because his family are the only asians in the neighborhood. if he was mexican I probably wouldn't have known where he lives.

He has to have seen me riding by his house a thousand times in the last 2 years. When I got home from work later in the afternoon, the first thing I did was hop on my bike and ride over to his house. He came to the door, and I ask about his bike. He rolled it out of the garage so I could take a look. He told me he just made it, but so far hasn't had any luck getting it started. I looked it over, especially the wiring, and it looked all ok. I ask him if he would mind me giving it a try, and he said go ahead.

I had that thing running in about 10 feet. I guess I got the gasoline mojo LOL. I rode it up and down once and handed it over to him. He looked so surprised I got it started. He'd probably been trying all day. He went off down the street, and turned around and came back, with a big smile on his face. I told him to roll the throttle while he's peddling it, and it'll start. I think what he was doing wrong is, he was afraid to yank the throttle much.

Being the only asians, I don't think they know anyone in the neighborhood. His english wasn't the best, but it was a lot better than my Vietnamese. The guy looks like he's in his 40s. He said something about riding it when he goes fishing. He bought it online of course. It looked like a BGF T80 or maybe a LEB X80. It had the large front motor mount.

I probably can't take credit for adding another member to the Texas MB family, but I might have had something to do with it. This was the first time so far that I came upon a china girl at large that wasn't someone I already know, and it was only the second time seeing a gas powered MB on the street. The first one a rear rack mount last year. I've also seen 4 eBikes on the street.

Last edited:

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
That's cool Biknut! I wish i had a neighbor like that. There are 2 guys in town that want me to help them build their MB's but I'm not sure if there wallet could handle the extras needed to make them reliable.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's cool Biknut! I wish i had a neighbor like that. There are 2 guys in town that want me to help them build their MB's but I'm not sure if there wallet could handle the extras needed to make them reliable.
I know exactly what you're talking about. I get a lot of inquires wanting to know how much my bike cost. When I say it was 5 or 6 hundred they're all excited until they find out, they have to make it themselves.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You can buy a motorized bike, complete and running, maybe new, for $600, but if you want the personal details or better parts, have to DIY.
That's true. There's motorized bicycles, and there's motorized bicycles. A $600 china girl is more like a toy than something you can depend on.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Around Christmas, someone was selling some new Cranny CG's on CL for $250.

Now, another seller here has electric bikes for $1799! :eek:
http://easttexas.craigslist.org/bik/2912988284.html

I can't see why anyone would pay $1800 for an electric bike! :confused:
(Maybe it's just me. I'm cheap!)
I know what you're saying about electric bikes. All $1800 will get you is a crappy one too.

The CGs for sale, probably weren't even worth $250. The motors were probably junk, and new cranny's are what, $100?

3 weeks ago I was riding around White Rock lake. Nobody I talked to confessed to having, just a bicycle that cost less than $2000. 4 of the people I talked to were riding $5000 + bicycles. That's Dallas I guess.