Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
A lot of bicyclists, and some car drivers, deliberately run red lights in that area. If there is no one there, I think you should be able to stop, then run it, but you could still get a heck of a ticket or even arrested. I think a couple states let bikes do that, because they don't set off the traffic signals to change. I've had to walk across crosswalks before, because I was afraid of running the lights. I went on some group bicycle rides through there, and groups of even 40 people on bikes would run the light if it changed in the middle of the group. One was a holiday light ride, a few were bar hop rides, and one was Critical Mass. I didn't get it. Running lights and touching cars probably piss people off. I'm not going on any more of those. If a bicycle stops at a light in Dallas, some people seem amazed and hesitate at the stop or light, like they are afraid you'll just dart out.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I get all sorts of strange looks on my scooter...I guess a big guy like me looks funny on such a small scooter...I laugh right back at he pumps filling up for less than $4 and going 80 miles. If I had lots of money I think I'd still ride a scooter they are a blast zingin thru all the traffic. Honda makes a real nice 150cc I'd rather be riding. I imagine when this cheap scooter wears out that's what I'll budget for. I still like the hobby of MB likely will be building another this summer.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Glad to hear you got a scooter. What did you buy? There are some "scooter" motorcycles that can do 70mph and carry 2 people. I like those. They are ugly! but when you are saving so much money, it's almost like being paid to ride it.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Mine is a real dog it will get up to 60 if you go downhill with the wind at your back and about 30 uphill and that's not much of a hill but what the hey we paid $400 for it I know the guy I bought it from has over $1000 invested in it as he paid to have it assembled titled and other stuff...it had 700 miles on it when I bought it it's a Kait (cheap chinese 4 smoker). It does get about 80 MPG and is cheap to insure as well.

http://www.scooterdepot.us/150cc-eagle-style-motor-scooter-gas-bike-p-747.html Pretty much this bike color & all

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Does anyone remember the Honda MB5 50 cc 2 strokes? i would consider buying one if they still sold them.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
It's not the same. :( LOL. I was wondering earlier today if anyone still has one of honda's first bicycle engine kits from the 40's, if one still exists.

Last edited:

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Yes exactly! Those were what brought people out of thinking motorcycles were for rockers only. I'm not a mod by any means but those Cubs were outstanding machines for their time. Quick question, does having a MB make you a mod or does it depend on the type of build your doing?

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yes exactly! Those were what brought people out of thinking motorcycles were for rockers only. I'm not a mod by any means but those Cubs were outstanding machines for their time. Quick question, does having a MB make you a mod or does it depend on the type of build your doing?
That's the, You meet the nicest people on a Honda, Honda

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Last edited:

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Really how can you look awesome on a moped? On a motorcycle you just hop on and your rocking the place, with a MB you like an old time biker which is awesome! But a moped you just look 0_o . And hey Biknut, how many miles did you get out of those tires and what were they?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Really how can you look awesome on a moped? On a motorcycle you just hop on and your rocking the place, with a MB you like an old time biker which is awesome! But a moped you just look 0_o . And hey Biknut, how many miles did you get out of those tires and what were they?
They're the oem that came on the bike. They've lasted over a year, and have about 13 or 14 hundred miles on them. The front still looks pretty good, but the rear is half gone. They're a little too skinny for my liking, 1.95". I'd rather 2.125 or bigger.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...re-MTB-tyre-BMX-tire-26x1-95-wholesalers.html

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
It's not bad. The cheap $15 bell knobby tires I get from the hardware store here are alright, after almost 1300 miles I've gone through 2 rear tires and I'm still on the first front tire. their 1.95's on 2.125 rims. Also for they are too skinny for my liking, I like having as much grip on the road as possible. I'd like to get 2.125 knobbies on my bike but havn't found a tire tread I like yet. Got any tire recommendations?