Tester for ignition

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
simple tester homemade out of wood, coathanger wire, alligator clip . to make cut out the circle in wood and solder on the ends you can make it different the idea is to be able to see the spark jump from one pointed tip to the other. (easier if you remove the sparkplug to make engine easier to spin over) the tips are adjustable to see how far spark will jump don't see a spark then be brave hold on to it you will know real quickly if there's any fire in the system.

here is another view make it to work for you as this is only one way of doing it.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
No all you got to do is let the clutch out and with the bike tipped up a little on its kick stand rotate the back wheel if the ignition is working you will see it spark. Or get someone to hold bike off the ground and rotate the back wheel for you don't see a spark move the sharp points closer to see if you have any spark. last resort if your brave hold wire and hang on. You do need to have the spark plug out of the engine to rotate the wheel unless your godzilla.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
If I were using Norm's little rig I'd pull the spark plug and have the ignition set to contact and kick the kick starter or pump it with my hand. (while holding the clutch in) It shoud be easy enough to see if you got fire.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Tj, the only problem with that CDI you posted, is our motors don't have a separate trigger coil. Most CDI systems have a charging coil and a trigger coil on the motor. We just have a single coil. So ours works a bit differently. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how...we may have something similar to the Briggs Magnetron system, but I haven't verified that yet. Once I get my new magneto and CDI in and I verify the bike works, I might rip into my old CDI and see what's up.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I thought I posted my homemade tester, I guess not.

Photo 1
On the left is a store bought spark plug tester, on the right is my home made tester.

Photo 2
All you need is a working spark plug and some alligator clips.

Makes it much easier to check for spark when you don't have to hold the spark plug and turn the motor over at the same time.

Attachments