Sturmey Archer drum brakes

GoldenMotor.com

w31john

Jan 4, 2008
san jose ca
I started with a Sturmey Archer hub, with drum brakes. With the help from the piplyne (scsw) crew they helped in cutting down the hub and getting it to fit on my back rim. It works great and I am very happy with it. Enjoy the pics.Thanks Dean you are the man!!!

This is my original setup.

This is the new setup.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That is a pretty setup.
Did you lace the wheel or have it done? As for braking, how does that drum compare with rim type caliper brakes?
Tom

Last edited:

w31john

Jan 4, 2008
san jose ca
The original setup came with the bike,but it never really worked very good. the drum brake was a lot of work to set up, but it is worth it. I have a 3" tire on so it was too hard to setup a caliper brake..trk

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
i am building my 2nd bike this time felt 1903...my question is ...is it worth themoney to put the sturmy archer front drum break on the front...looks cool but does it work well or should i go witha front disk setup?????drn2

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I love my S/A front drum,,,
I have 20K+ miles on her (4th or 5th bike the wheel has been on)

I think it would fit the 'vintage' look of the 1903 as well

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
that is what i wanted toknow...i will order one...any places in california that selll it at a good price...what about resizing spokes for a 26 inch wheel on a felt?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have used both types on my builds and very happy with the sturmy archer front drum brake hub. It looks and works sweet.

From experience the disk setup cost for the setup is expensive. By the time you buy the hub, relace the wheel, purchase hydraulic disk brake setup and purchase the brackets its well over a hundred bucks. But for this price you get some awesome stopping power.

The hot ticket is to check out Husky Bike web-site for the wheel setup....

CCC