Stupid Chain Problems

GoldenMotor.com

GrubeeKing

May 16, 2012
Maine
Alright guys so I have a Grubee GT5 66cc. The chain that comes with it is a #410 and it keeps breaking links and falling off the sprocket. What do you guys think I should do? I was thinkin of gettin a #415 chain because I have heard they have a little more room for "error" so to speak.
If I do that will I need a new sprocket for the engine to fit the bigger chain or what? Tell me your thoughts on how to fix this stupid chain issues because it is pissing me off.
:-||

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
415 chain will work on your sprockets so will 41. I run 41 on both of my bikes with no problems, tho some members report 41 rubbing the case behind the sprocket. No problem with rubbing on my 48cc grubee or two others I ride with, also clears on my bgf48cc. 41 chain is available locally at tractor supply 20$ for ten feet of chain and three master links, makes two chains.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You probably need to check your chain alignment and tension. Also if you're using a chain tensioner you need to make sure the tensioner is aligned with the chain. Even the kit supplied chains will run good IF your tension and alignment is correct. You MUST have the chain in a straight line between the engine drive sprocket, the tensioner wheel and the rear wheel sprocket. Any off-set or lateral misalignment will cause you headaches like you're having. Roller chain will not travel around corners. It is designed to run in an absolutely straight line between the sprockets.

Is your rear sprocket perfectly centered on the hub? If not, that will give you problems too. Make sure the sprocket runs perfectly concentric with the rear wheel hub.

Tom

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
The chain that comes with the Grubee kits is crap, almost any chain would be better. That said, I run #41 chain, it is some seriously solid chain compared to what came with the kit. I haven't had any problem what so ever since installing or running the #41 chain.

nobigdeal

Jun 23, 2012
nebraska
OK,
Is there any type of adjustment that can be made to the engine sprocket? My rear sprocket is not perfectly in line. I cannot adjust the rear sprocket to be any closer to the bike. Is there any way to move the engine sprocket out?

If im not explaining this correctly I will try again. I am breaking chains like a mad man!!!!!

help me get over a mile per chain.......

thanks

NBD

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
OK,
Is there any type of adjustment that can be made to the engine sprocket? My rear sprocket is not perfectly in line. I cannot adjust the rear sprocket to be any closer to the bike. Is there any way to move the engine sprocket out?

If im not explaining this correctly I will try again. I am breaking chains like a mad man!!!!!

help me get over a mile per chain.......

thanks

NBD
You can flip the rear sprocket so it will dish in or dish out, that will move the chain in or out at the back end, which might help you with alignment. I am unaware of any way to move the motor sprocket out, or any different sprockets that might be spaced differently.
On the chain, if you have good clearance just get some #41 chain, it is mondo huge and strong and would be MUCH harder to break than the kit chain, or most standard bike chains. 415H (H for Heavy Duty) chain is also a good option...

nobigdeal

Jun 23, 2012
nebraska
thanks

so tonight, i bought a cheapo chain from wally world and the thing ran like a champ. It took several tries to get the tension right---what ended up working for me was having very little slack whatsoever. I tried with differing amounts of slack and they all chattered way to much, so I said heck with it, tighten it down so that worked well, but I will go get a 41 chain. I accidentally got a 40 chain and that does not fit my motor, wont go through the housing.

nobigdeal

Jun 23, 2012
nebraska
I dont want to be rude so I will follow up. I looked at the rear and it is positioned so that the rear is as close to the rim itself. I just wish I could figure a way to move the motor gear out away from the bike like half inch.

But as of now two days same chain!!!! Its a new record for me.

I also went and got some extra 41 chain links that I am going to mix with my 415 just to have a spare laying around.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I dont want to be rude so I will follow up. I looked at the rear and it is positioned so that the rear is as close to the rim itself. I just wish I could figure a way to move the motor gear out away from the bike like half inch.

I also went and got some extra 41 chain links that I am going to mix with my 415 just to have a spare laying around.
If I am getting what you are saying correctly...
You have the rear sprocket dished inward, but the chain is still angeling out from the front sprocket to the rear? How is the clearance at the tire and frame? In what order did you assemble the parts on the rag joint behind the rear wheel sprocket?

That said, if it is running smoothly the way it is now and you have #41 chain you will probably forget about it soon enough, after riding hard without it breaking you will gain confidence in the chain....

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
NBD if you can post pictures of your sprockets from rear to the front someone here might spot something that could help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

You were not the OP, original poster. He hasn't come back to reply to the help offered.

As for you, #415 and #41 chain can not be mixed/joined/connected. They are different sizes and are not compatible. Run one or the other.

Tom

nobigdeal

Jun 23, 2012
nebraska
You are correct.

The rear sprocket is dished inward. The chain is running outward from the engine sprocket.

The chain is right next to the tire, may even be rubbing it here and there, but I see no damage on the tire, but it is very close.

The rear sprocket set up is..
sprocket---rubber gasket----spokes----rubber gasket---metal plates---nuts.

Any other way did not appear to work, but if I can try anything let me know what ya think....

I just wish I could shim the engine sprocket to the outside like 1/4 or 1/2 inch.
It seems like there would be room for that...?

My wally world chain is certainly taking a beating. I have broke it and rechained it like 8 times in three days. Im not even replacing it with a master link, I am carefully taking out the pin, not all the way, replacing broken links, and then re pinning the chain with the old pin. Dont know what else to do. I do have my 415 and just got a master link for it that was missing, so I may throw that on and see what happens. My chain breaker wont break the 415, I have to do it with a punch and hammer. I hate that.

I will post a photo next. Any help is awesome...while it is running it is a blast though!!!!!!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
From what I see it looks good. The main thing to remember, you cant lug or let the rpm 's get so low that it starts jerking on the chain. You will need to pedal some to keep from lugging on hills or inclines.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The third photo, far right one, clearly shows the misalignment between the engine drive sprocket and the rear wheel, driven sprocket. Those two sprockets MUST be in a straight line, not offset as yours are, or the way the photo makes it appear.

Here's a way to check sprocket alignment. Use a length of small angle stock, aluminum works well, and you can get a 2 or 3 foot length at most hardware stores. Try to find 3/8" angle. Lay it against the sprockets so it is flush against them. If you can't, then there's your alignment issue. The engine drive sprocket is what it is and won't move but you can install the rear sprocket so it aligns with the engine. Either shim the sprocket out with spacers (washers, another rubber donut, or some other resilient material) so it does align. If the sprocket has a dished design flip it so the teeth are to the outside.

Your chain is also extremely small, narrow, for an engine drive. I can see why it's breaking. Replace it with #41 chain or at the very least #415 that comes with many engine kits.

Also check to make sure your rear wheel is centered in the frame and the frame isn't twisted or kinked. With the engine and rear wheel properly centered you shouldn't see that angle between the two sprockets that is evident in your photo. Offset, maybe but not angled away from each other.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I thought that was the tilt of the camera, but after looking at it for awhile it looks like the left side of the rear wheel is farther back than the right. Is that what you see?

briggsandstratton

Jul 11, 2012
new york
your tire is not on the bike straight and the chain looks to small switch to #41 chain
take the right side of the tire axle and move it back until the chains straight
-briggsandstatton

Last edited:

nobigdeal

Jun 23, 2012
nebraska
Thanks.

Yes the chain is the cheapest smallest I could find. I was unable to find a 415 anywhere, I could find it online of course. But I caled TSC and put a 41 on hold for me. So far the cheapo has broke a few times, but it is pulling us around. Every now and again it kinks and breaks and I repair it.

But I will check to see if the tire is not on straight. Makes me wonder as Im typing if it is or isnt, but that may help me out.

I will post again tomorrow night on wheel alignment.

Thanks

Happy riding!!!

NBD