Sportsman 200

GoldenMotor.com

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I dunno of you guys & CF have realized it yet (I guess you have)...you have crossed over from motorized bicycle to motorcycle...
Im thinking it would freakin great for someone to make up a jig so that a boardtracker frame could be built from 1 1/4" DOM tubing & tig welded. Then you could register it as a motorcycle. It's only a matter of time before someone does this, with the way you guys are heading.
As it is, Im guessing it's for race track only? Or can you guys ride these on the street in the US? We can only ride up to 49cc with a bicycle frame, & the cops are pretty strict here.
Maybe in the US you can actually put this on the road as a motorycle. Here it would have to have the DOM tubing & be tig welded, to certify & put a 200cc legally on the road. Here, that is called low volume certification (for vehicle manufacturers who are doing one offs or not mass producing).
Like I said, it's only a matter of time for them to properly cross over into being motorcycles. Once someone takes the step of building an industry standard motorcycle frame in the shape of a boardtracker.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
I've never gotten any grief from the local law enforcement while riding our bikes and we've never registered any of them either. I think this bike will get noticed, however, and to legally register it, it would probably have to be registered as a motorcycle due to the displacement and horse power.

As for a true cross over to motorcycles, all I can say is, well I said enough already...

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Remember for future reference, " yes officer it is operational by peddle power, it is 2hp (sic), it is not capable of speeds faster than 30 mph (sic sic), It is 150cc (sic) and has a mirror and a horn thus it is a moped". Do not laugh when you say these things! Lol

Reactions: chainmaker

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I was watching James May (Top Gear) in 'Toy Stories' & he kept talking about his toy electric train from his childhood that was a Flying Scotsman "with genuine chuffing sound" (original words from the box it came in, I think).
This is a bicycle "with genuine motorcycle sound" !!! LOL
AND "genuine motorcycle motor"
AND "genuine motorcycle hp"
Anyway well done Pat (& CF) it is definitely a race winner by the look of those vids

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Right now I am running the Simplex clone tires, which is to say I am running Quick Bricks. I think I'll need a whole Saturday to squeeze on the Simplex tires, but I'll get them on there. I have to for safety.
Pat,

Nice vids on Flikr man...all i can say is POST MORE!!!

that thing is a beast. which cam did you get?? i am going to have the cam, pushrods, springs, billet conrod, flywheel and all that on mine...so i cannot wait to fire it up when it gets here. I will have to get in touch with you and cobra about the pull start once it is ready for its maiden voyage. also, need to source a good intake filter or maybe velocity stack with screen.

any thoughts there?

xct2

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Awesome work, I have a Honda 5.5 hp but am sidelining the project to get some things done around the house..... But after watching your video I am foaming at the mouth, OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Pat

I noticed the pull start "pulley" was very wide. Was that just of convienence, or?
Years ago I was involved in outboard hydros and our pull start pulleys were only about 5/8ths to 3/4" wide, with two backward angled slots cut into the outside for the rope, the angle preventing anything from getting caught up.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I am back in civilization! Been out hunting for the past four days (yep, I'm one of those). Anyway, I took the beast out for it's first extended ride today and need to update everyone on my thoughts for this creation. Like others have reported the torque is impressive! It simply pulls away from the line with authority. The clutch is very streetable. If you nail it you can lift the front wheel off the ground, but if you just roll into the throttle it responds with a very smooth acceleration. I need to tune the mid range to remove a flat spot and may add some sort of rubber vibration damping material between the engine and mount as it vibrates just a little more than I would like. The sound? Well, it sounds like a thumper, that's for sure. It just sounds great. The width of the pull start hub is designed for three complete wraps of the rope. I drilled a hole to insert the rope into but saw that CCC used the notch method. I need to check how he did his again, but my current method suggested by Cobrsfreak works well. How does it compare to a Morini powered bike? Simply no comparison. The clone engine will out accelerate any Morini engine..........

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Hey Pat... I am glad you are happy with the thumper. It dominated the Grange Race and found a new pilot for my bikes...lol...real close to home...

I did a little R & D with some different setups and you would be surprised with what I have found...

Your bike ROCKS...

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Pat I am stoked to hear you saying how much better the clone is compared to the morini. Here in Perth there is a Huge Motorcycle and scooter show. Its a bummer I'm not done otherwise I would have entered the 'show and shine comp'

I saw a set of worksman wheels on a tandem today. I am amazed at how heavy duty they really are. I can't believe I thought that a clone could still break those chunky spokes

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Re-jetting the carb (drilling the main jet larger) will fix the flat spot. The two holes in the starter pulley works good because if you crash it wont work like a chain saw into your leg :) . Did you catch anything while hunting?

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I forgot you were running without a governor. Those numbers I gave were for the stock 3600 rpm. check out these links

speed calculator
Rawge's Mini Chopper Information Site - Jackshafts

ratio calculator
Rawge's Mini Chopper Information Site - Gear Ratio

As far as the oil goes I always used 3/4 qt just like cobra.
Lurker,
What happened to the ratio calculators? I just tried to access them with no luck. I have a 44t being cut and want to verify my rpm verses speed.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Re-jetting the carb (drilling the main jet larger) will fix the flat spot. The two holes in the starter pulley works good because if you crash it wont work like a chain saw into your leg :) . Did you catch anything while hunting?
No luck hunting. Well, I didn't "catch" anything except a little poison oak. I bumped my main jet up from a 130 to a 135 and now need to adjust the needle clip to raise the needle and richen up the mid range. Before I do too much more I also need to finish my exhaust mount. The 22mm Mikuni is a nice carb to work with. So fun to ride with all this torque!

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I noticed that today too Pat. I was getting ready to order my sprockets and wanted to double check.

Here is what it means
A. engine output shaft/clutch
B. engine to shaft sprocket
C. jack shaft to rear sprocket
D. rear wheel sprocket

What kind of speed were you able to achieve with your current set up?

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
What kind of speed were you able to achieve with your current set up?
I have just been cruising to break in the engine. I also do not have a speedo or tach. As I recall my 52t would hit 50 mph at 8ooo rpm and 38 mph at 6ooo rpm. I may drop down to a 48t to see how it works as I have plenty of bottom end right now.