Spark plug, wire, cap replacement help.

GoldenMotor.com

PatNoPed

Jun 22, 2008
Vero Beach, Florida
Last night I went for a short cruise around the neighborhood and I noticed sparks jumping from my plug/cap to the top of the engine. I couldn't see this happening in the daytime but now I know why I'm getting misfires and jerky performance. My question is about replacing the spark plug wire and cap. Do I have to cut the old cap off and wire up a new one? How do you replace the plug wire with a better one? I think it will run much smoother with a better connection.
Thanks y'all!
Patrick

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
it simply un screws. The plug wire is screwed into the CDI igniter unit with what looks like a sheet metal screw. Simply twist the wire counter clockwise and it will unscrew from the CDI Black box unit. Thanks..

PatNoPed

Jun 22, 2008
Vero Beach, Florida
That was going to be my next question! Thank you! I just left the parts store. They said most of the wires they sell are carbon cored, the one off the bike engine has a copper core. Does that matter? What would be a good vehicle distributor wire to order (ie make n model)?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That was going to be my next question! Thank you! I just left the parts store. They said most of the wires they sell are carbon cored, the one off the bike engine has a copper core. Does that matter? What would be a good vehicle distributor wire to order (ie make n model)?

I believe our fearless leader Cruiser has wire/cap combos for sale really reasonbly priced....but you'll have to ask him.

As for the wire if he doesn't, measure the length of what you've got, and ask for a 7mm wire of that length or close...I don't see any reason why a carbon core wouldn't work just as well as a copper core.

Or.....buy a "do it your self" wire kit, use what you need and sell the rest here on the "Swap Shop".

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Just ask them if you could see what they have. They took me to the back where they were all hanging, and I picked my own. I got the longest and cut it to the length I wanted and now have extra wire, in case it gets damaged..
Might be tough to find a copper core. I dont think it makes much difference...

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I can get you copper cored plug wire industrial grade 7mm this wire is used on engines that run 24 hrs 7 days a week. I'll check with the shop as for price if your interested. Let me know by PMing me
Norman

PatNoPed

Jun 22, 2008
Vero Beach, Florida
I ended up buying a cheap set of wires for a chevy car. Cut to fit and I have 3 extras. They're the regular carbon type and it runs great now. No more misfires, runs and idles nice and smooth, and starts easier! I'm glad I went for that night ride cause I wouldn't have ever seen those sparks dancin out from that plug wire. Thanks for the help everyone!
Patrick

Mar 31, 2013
RI
is there a specific size the cap needs to be to fit the spark plug?
the stock sparkplug comes with the tip removed leaving a smaller, threaded tip and the stock wire end is made to fit on this threaded tip so the stock wire won't work with a new sparkplug and a new wire won't work with the stock sparkplug, you need to replace both.

...do yourself a favor and follow KC's advice and order that new wire and plug from SBP, you won't be sorry. (the links are contained within his post just above yours, ...and they ship fast so you won't wait long)

peace, bozo

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Actually if you leave the spark plug cap on the top you can use an automotive plug wire and cap but ya, the kit caps require the plug top be removed.
Didn't your kit come with a spare cap and plug and plug wrench among other spare parts?

I do like the better wire/cap SBP has but seldom need them, the stock wire works just dandy if you just make sure it is screwed in tight but if you do get one get an Iridium plug while you are at it, those things make a difference you can actually feel.

One other note is you don't have to use all the plug wire as the cap screws right off so if you place your CDI up on the front bar you can just cut it down to fit nice like this.