Snork

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL @ "carbeque", Greg. Just rolls off the tongue.

The Pinto thing made me think of the vega I had as a kid. (teenager) It had an aluminum block and when ya shut the doors, the rust would make a metallic sprinkling sound as the rust hit the black top. One night I raced a buddy around an s curve. He was driving a really sweet Mustang that was the envy of us all. My tore up, old, rode hard and put up wet Vega was the victim of ridicule. But it handled amazingly well. After winning that race, she was thought of in much better regard.

I kept a rock in the back to beat the starter into life when needed. But she had a really cool stereo with an 8trac. I only had one tape and it got played so much that Crosby, Stills, Nash and some times Young developed Spanish accents.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Oh yea 8 tracks, I put one in my first car I bought from my brother. It was probably 10" wide and 3" thick, made by kraco. Had a audiovox FM converter too.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Dan, I installed the upmarket 'cassette' player in my Vega, as it came factory fresh with only an AM/FM radio with 1 speaker. It also had a 3sp manual tranny ---- kinda reminds me of my motorized bike in that it was just transportation...........with a smoke screen!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
X, ya know for what a really bad car they were, was a good lil car.

=====================================================

'And I like large parties. They're so intimate. At small parties there isn't any privacy.' ... F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

I really do save this stuff for the books I never write.....

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
X, ya know for what a really bad car they were, was a good lil car.

I actually loved that '74 Vega ---- just hated the engine. Looked to put a V6 in it but circumstances didn't allow it at the time. My Grandpa had a Cosworth Vega, now that was a cool little car!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I actually loved that '74 Vega ---- just hated the engine. Looked to put a V6 in it but circumstances didn't allow it at the time. My Grandpa had a Cosworth Vega, now that was a cool little car!!
Your "grandpa" ???? Now you're telling your age. You're just a kid :)

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Your "grandpa" ???? Now you're telling your age. You're just a kid :)

Tom

He had it when he was in his 50's ---- he was a kid at heart with all the toys....cool cars, RC planes, Cessna 182 Turbo RG, etc. He died in 1980.

His Cosworth was black with gold wheels. Before that, he had a '71 that was orange with white stripes......he also owned the requisite banker's Oldsmobile land yachts. :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
He had it when he was in his 50's ---- he was a kid at heart with all the toys....cool cars, RC planes, Cessna 182 Turbo RG, etc. He died in 1980.

His Cosworth was black with gold wheels. Before that, he had a '71 that was orange with white stripes......he also owned the requisite banker's Oldsmobile land yachts. :D
Sounds like one cool dude. I wish I could have met him. He passed along good genes too.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
In 1975 gm installed steel sleeves in the Vega engine, they even gave an unheard of warranty of 60000 miles on the engine. But by that time the damage was done to the vega's reputation, too bad because the steel sleeves in that little engine worked great. I remembered several people picking up vega's for cheap because of the smoking engine then installing a v8, one guy went with the 231 v6 from Buick that made a good combo.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
One thing I can say for the Vega was that the steering box works great in most street rod applications. It was small/compact and easily mounted to early Ford frames.
I have a funny story about a Vega steering box, a junk yard and me picking parts some years ago. But I won't bore you with it here. Suffice it to say that some poor soul got a rude surprise whe he tried to drive away that day. :)

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I find it extremely irritating to have to watch a 'commercial' before I can view a review on a vehicle, which in fact, is another commercial.

Back to regular programming.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Having a wide vocabulary is one of life's little joys Dan :D

Today when I rode my dear old English Hercules bicycle into the township two small boys ran along the pavement (sidewalk) calling out, 'Grandma, grandma!' In a strange sort of way I felt quite flattered.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
i had an old vw and had to put a power converter in for my 8 track, 66 vw only had a 6 volt battery lol
Wow! Power?
Sounds like you were one of those busily working to buy 'stuff' ! :)

I had the '59 delivery van, with double doors on both sides so we could throw things right through it. or release excess liquids from both sides while going down the highway at night. 8-O

Had a couple 12v batteries running total loss to power the tape decks until I blew that motor and upgraded to a bigger one with the 12v generator.
Yah, tape deckS... Once the 8 tracks came out all the 4's were cheep!
so I had a 4, a 4 + 8, and an 8... they seemed to have different eatures so I just wired em in... had plenty of room in the van.

OK, I just found something I had not yet heard of, and it doesn't appear here using the Search button.

Solowheel

A better candidate for Snork! I have not yet seen.

Here's one of their vids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_-um9BU8Q4

Half a segway???

... wonder if << I >> could balance on one???
rc
:-||