Snapped All Thread Mounting Bolt

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
Well, crap.

I waited 1 week to get replacement gaskets in the mail. I received them today, put them on, and took the bike for a spin. Now it ran smooth as ever, until...

IT SNAPPED RIGHT OFF!

At first, I thought it just wiggled loose and fell out, so I drove around looking for it and I got lucky and found the bolt/nut part. That's when I noticed it wasn't complete. The rest of it was still in the motor casing! Talk about bad luck! Luckily for me, after removing the rear mounting spacer, the broken part was sticking out about 3mm and I was able to use needle nose plyers to twist it out. Now I have the job of replacing it... :(

It's metric M6 and roughly 8 cm long.

Anyone know where I might get replacements? Besides online? Lowe's doesn't carry metric all threads, neither does O'Reilly Auto Parts. I'll try Fastenels Monday.

I pulled all mounting bolts. I noticed one of the shorter front bolts was a bit bent, so I'll replace it as well. What do you folks thing about thread locking on those mounting bolts? Will it withstand the heat, or is it not a good idea in the first place?

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Same thing happened to me!
Drill it just a hair bigger and tap it to 1/4x20 thread, found ANYWHERE! Actually, you may not even need to drill it, but I haven't looked at any chart to see what drill size needed for 1/4" threads...but it's so close, you can probably just run the tap right in. Mine was a hair off-sized due to having to drill out the broken stud, which partially mauled the original threads.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have alway's been able to find all the bolt's, nut's, threaded rod at ACE hardware....Some say they don't have it....:confused: Maybe every ACE is different

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
Well, crap.

I waited 1 week to get replacement gaskets in the mail. I received them today, put them on, and took the bike for a spin. Now it ran smooth as ever, until...

IT SNAPPED RIGHT OFF!

At first, I thought it just wiggled loose and fell out, so I drove around looking for it and I got lucky and found the bolt/nut part. That's when I noticed it wasn't complete. The rest of it was still in the motor casing! Talk about bad luck! Luckily for me, after removing the rear mounting spacer, the broken part was sticking out about 3mm and I was able to use needle nose plyers to twist it out. Now I have the job of replacing it... :(

It's metric M6 and roughly 8 cm long.

Anyone know where I might get replacements? Besides online? Lowe's doesn't carry metric all threads, neither does O'Reilly Auto Parts. I'll try Fastenels Monday.

I pulled all mounting bolts. I noticed one of the shorter front bolts was a bit bent, so I'll replace it as well. What do you folks thing about thread locking on those mounting bolts? Will it withstand the heat, or is it not a good idea in the first place?

Needle nose pliers, I knew this would work if I had enough slack on the outside, sad thing is... I dont... grr.

-Mopedamater79's gf

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Locking pliers can be used if there is even a little of the stud sticking out...if you can file a flat side on it, all the better.

Why can't you just use the correct length metric bolts instead of allthread? Bolts would be stronger anyhow.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
some say using metrics bolts would cause damage to the block threads with all the in and out mounting and remounting that might happen. I'll try ACE

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you use loctite and don't over tighten them, they will be fine. How many times are you planning on removing the bicycle motor from the frame?

In my experience, it's the stud that strips out, not the hole in the engine case. If the engine case strips, you can use a heli-coil, or even easier is a product made by Loctite that is a thread re-builder. I used it in the primary case on a chain tensioner bolt in my old Sportster and it held for years.

Just to be clear, at ACE Hardware, you need to be looking in those little plastic tray bins for those metric all thread studs. I asked for metric all thread and the guy said that they didn't carry it. Yeah, they don't carry three foot lengths of it, but I did discover it in little four inch pieces in those trays. Good luck.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
my local ACE Hardware had what I needed.

Norman said:
You boys using a torque wrench when messing with the nuts/studs that hold the head on?
um, sorry, no...I don't own something like that. Nobody I know around here has it either. I'm probably paying the price for it, but I don't want to spend the money for a tool I will only use once.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Ace Hardware in Colorado carried 'em. I also use metric couplers as the nuts. The couoplers have 4 times more thread to grip the bolt and allows some serious torque to be applied to the mount.

One of the first things I do on a kit is to replace almost every nut and bolt on an engine to avoid these kinds of problems with the low quality stock hardware.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I found mine at a local auto parts store, I called around first to see who had them so I didn't waste my time and gas.

I find you need to be very carefully not to over tighten the engine mounts since we are dealing with parts that are made of soft metals.(^)