Slicks or Semi Slicks or both???

GoldenMotor.com

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
hey i currently have a motorized 26" mountain bike with front suspension and have a shift kit too. and want to go faster.i can hit 36 mph flat ground now after discovering, how wearing non baggy clothes, and being as aerodynamic as can be, makes you faster.
that being said
i am considering switching to slick tires or maybe semi slicks to gain some speed. im planning on getting a full slick tire for the rear but not too sure on the front, i ride 15 miles monday thru thursday to work and back on nice paved roads so slicks would be the ideal choice but i also like to ride some dirt trails on weekends sometimes. not crazy trails, but more like dirt road trails for horsback riding and hiking.

so what should i get on the front? i would get full slick but then i wouldnt feel safe on the dirt trails, so im left with semi slick/knobby tires and getting SOME speed benefits with some grip or full on knobby tires which i am running now, and loosing rolling resistance but great grip offroad.
what are your opinions?

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

There was a post recently that basically said slicks were OK (even in the rain) up to a certain speed (I wish I could find the post for you)...I think it went further to say that due to the small contact patch of the bike tires that traction could be OK in mild off road situations too...

Not having tested slicks tho, I have always felt it (gut feeling) is best to have some tread tho....FWIW - I run knobbies on my bikes (I guess mainly because they started off as mountain bikes).

Andrew

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
yea i think im going to go with a full slick for top speed on the roads and keep my knobby tires and just swap the front tire for the weekends or something. oh yea and heres a link to everything and anything anyone needs to know about bicycle tires

Bicycle Tires and Tubes

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I have not gotten *any* speed yet, but I'm running some Kenda Metro tires...
Very smooth tread.
got a 195 on the back and a 210 on the front. will put a 210 on the back next for some shock/road surface dampening.

The kenda don't have the best reputation... with the super spandex crowd... I guess, but they are what I had, besides mtb tires.

They are slippy in a turn with gravel or sand!
...gotta weigh the liability...

I hope to look at some 'panaracer' tires when I get a chance to build a MAB for speed.

Good luck
rc

OK, I just went and looked at kenda tires cuz they are cheep and I'm a tite-wad...

Have a look at the Kenda K193 Kwest tire, and the Kenda K1029 Kwick Roller tire.
If I was out to spend $'s on something besides the biggest, fattest balloon tires that would fit my MAB, I would try these, especially since they are CHEEP!

the review on the Kwest tire is interesting to read. the Kwick roller is a new product???

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/kenda-k193-kwest-tire

rc

Last edited:

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
lol that was the exact tire i was planning on getting for the front, but i figure if it wont do go on bike trails i might as well go full slick and swap a tire out when im gunna ride trails. and i think theyll make a difference vs my stock knobby tires because of there low rolling resistance, every bit helps speed. i started using my the tuck method while riding and gained a few mph, it really does help!. unless your runing a single sprocket setup and your already redlining your engine

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
im considering those, but ive heard that it could be a problem when cornering because the knobs can bend under pressure causing a wipeout. but idk how hard you would to lean in on a turn for that to happen and how fast. my bike store has a pair of the kenda kross plus tires so i might go with those. idk yet.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
See for yourself:

I ride with knobbies and they are scary. They work great on any grass, dusty roads, gravel, etc, but do not corner well on roads.
I wiped out here: (1:45) moped short clip ride 5min.wmv - YouTube

I ran full slicks (Geax Road Runner) before these, and they were hard and jumpy, got a lot of flats. They worked ok in rain but skated on the slightest oil on the roads. On anything but pavement they were worthless and hard to control, but with an engine you'd be sur.duh.prised what kind of mud you can bog through without getting stuck.

I ran the Walmart Schwinn Balloon tires (the streamliner brand with the brown sidewall). They were cushy and had a nice ride, corner predictably but not off road tires. They are soft rubber and wear fairly fast, so I put them on my mtn bike to use as beach cruiser tires.

I see a lot of these bikes using "quick brick" designs, that look like BMX dirt jump/street tires.

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/IMG_9155.69202354_std.jpg

C-rib tires for $18 each www.custommotoredbicycles.com, lots of whitewall and 2.125 tires for $10-20 each, cheaper in pairs.

im considering those, but ive heard that it could be a problem when cornering because the knobs can bend under pressure causing a wipeout. but idk how hard you would to lean in on a turn for that to happen and how fast. my bike store has a pair of the kenda kross plus tires so i might go with those. idk yet.

Last edited:

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
Slick tires work fine in all situations except two: mud and snow.

------

As far as slicks making you faster, that's not real likely except if you select the tire width to make a small change in the final drive ratio. Bicycle tires are bias-ply, which means that they have a round cross-section,,, and a wider tire is also a taller tire (has a larger outer diameter).

If your engine is topping out early, a fatter tire will be a larger diameter and let the engine run a bit lower. If your engine is not reaching its max RPMs at your top speed, then a narrower tire will be a smaller diameter and will let the engine spin a bit faster.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Slicks are an image of racing tires which I think few people make the mistake of buying cheaper slicks expecting racing performance but really it's good quality tires that make the difference it's the same with car tires you can't beat michlens how ever it's spelled but I hope you get my point, but as far knobby tires the best I have got so far are bell's knobby tire. I've got great grip on wet dry, pretty fair on sand and gravel, not the best on paved roads with scattered gravel and not great either on ice I mean solid ice the got ok grip on ice but don't expect to race on it. Anyway on a paved road 26'' tires with 36T tooth sprocket SBPpipe and a DAX RT carb I can hit 38MPH with full out knobbies.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Semi slicks are a good way to go. . . they aid in handling and yes, speed.

I have always liked a brick pattern design similar to that of older motorcycles. Felt Quick brick, Geax booze, or Schwalbe fat frank are really good tires but they can be pricey if you care about cost. You have to consider chain clearance as well, so you don't eat-up the side wall

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
my personal experience with tires. bought a cranbrook at wallyworld that came with the balloon tires. smooth ride, but too wide for chain clearance. chain rubbed on tire and ate through the outer wall. switched to a semi slick. probably got 2 mph out of it. pulled into a wendy's parking lot after a rain and wiped out hard. the bike slid right out from underneath me and skidded across the lot into the drive-thru. lucky there weren't any cars for my bike to hit. I bruised a knee and scraped my hands. however, this having been my second accident, I refused to ride on wet roads again until I got a different tire. my next tire which I still use was a hardrock'r. it has good tread and handles well. good turning and good grip. I have ridden on wet roads going as fast as I can and never worried a second about wiping out. if a couple more mph is that important to you, get a semi slick and have fun killing yourself.

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
ye ai ended up getting a full slick up front and a semi slick on the rear
i never ride when its wet outside so theres no problems, and i have really good shocks up front so the ride quality is still awesome, only problem is the tires are 26x1.6 and i cant find tubes for that size, so im just running my 26x1.75s to anyone thinking treads help grip the road they dont, maybe offroad such as mud and dirt and rocky roads but for street and pavement its worse if anything. why do you think road bikers run full slicks.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
You can stick a 26x 1.5-1.95 tube in a 26x1.6" tire. Just barely inflate it till it just rounds out enough not to twist, and stuff it in there, going around at least once to make sure it is not cut by the beads when you inflate it. It's always a good idea to use either soap and water OR a good sprinkling of talcum powder in there to aid in mounting tube and tire.

Here are standard tubes 1.5" for $2.60 each! XLC Boxed Tube - 26" x 1.0/1.50", SCHRADER

Here are super tubes 1.5-1.75 $7 each Q-Tubes Thorn Resistant 26" x 1.5-1.75" SCHRADER valve Tube 452g

Nikko

Jun 23, 2011
So Cal
thanks will be purchasing the right tube soon, ive already punctuerd 2 wrong sized tubes trying to get it on. slicks always have such a tight bead!

anyways off topic but does anyone have experience with bicycle gears? i have a 7 speed shifter and 7 speed erailer but recently put a 8 speed wheel on the rear because i bent the axle and lost some bearings on my 7 speed rim, will it work? like maybe instead of having all 8 gears to use maybe only able to use 1 thru 7? or should i just have a bike store swap the 7 speed cassette to my new rim

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
It won't work. they are spaced differently. Are you sure you have a 7 speed cassette? There are major differences between a cassette and a freewheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7KJK_rl9cU demo video ( I prefer to turn my tire around the other way and set it on my insteps or in front of my feet, maybe even using a shoe to press down slightly on the rim for the last bit of tire seating)
Try using soapy water or even just water on your tire and tube when mounting. After inserting the tube, press the valve and deflate it more. Start mounting the bead at the valve stem, and working the tire onto the rim by hand. When it gets difficult, start again at the valve stem area and push the tire bead deep into the rim center channel, working around without letting it relax. You should be able to pull the last bit over the rim by hand, by gripping the sidewalls between your fingertips (no thumbs) and palms, and pulling the tire towards yourself, over the rim till it seats. Check all the way around for proper seating after inflating to 5psi, and inflate fully if the tube is not pinched anywhere and tire is straight. Good luck.

Last edited:

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
yeah back on topic, I only shared MY personal experience with tires. road bikers may use slicks, but I don't have any exoerience riding motorcycle. the ONLY time I EVER wiped out in the rain, I was using a slick tire. I have never slipped on the road using knobby tires. and I never said treads grip the road. what treads actually do is provide extra balance when cornering. this may feel to some that it makes cornering stiffer. if you want to take corners loose, slicks are better. its easier to wreck taking corners loose. besides, treads or slicks don't have anything to do with grip. hard tires handle better and provide more speed. soft tires grip better. hard or soft is determined by psi. higher psi=harder tire. harder tires need tread for balance. softer tires don't. its all about what you want in a tire. no one is right or wrong for choosing one tire or another. but the best tires are the ones that can be inflated to more than one psi. my tire goes 35-60 psi. I keep it around 40 because I'm a bigger guy. at 35, it would provide the most grip. at 60, it would be the hardest and give me the most speed. I don't inflate it that high for a couple reasons. one, at my weight I would blow my tube. two I don't care that much about top speed. 40 is good. I get decent grip and the tire feels hard enough to give me a good top speed. when I can afford it I'm gonna put the same tire on the front.