shouted at and push off the road by a man in a white van

GoldenMotor.com

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Why do these little motors bother some people? They are mush more quiet then allot of other things we just take for granted. I live close to an airport that is really noisy and garbage trucks and the Boom cars. I think we are easy to catch and just a different sound then normal. I got kids who have PA speakers on their cars and trucks with songs that the words are blank this and blank your blank, blank, blank. Most police are good hard working protectors of our rights, but some it is the easiest route is the way they go. No solutions from me, just airing my 2 cents. I have been lucky on my bike, but had many a run in with the law just to mention a few of my offences, "Being to stupid and yelling at gang members" My fault the pulled the gun. "Sitting in a park watching the sun set on the Water" unless you are fishing it is loitering, 5 times on that one, I am a habitual loiter. Sleeping in my car while my wife was shopping, I was surrounded by cops for that one. I must just look like a felon.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I do look like a felon. My hair goes all the way down my back, even if it is braided and my goatee is fairly long, mostly gray, with some beard growth as well. I also have a....'perpetually stoned' look to.
Some cops just want to mess with me. Just a few years ago, I would get angry with 'em and usually go to jail, now I just smile at 'em and be nice maybe crack a clean joke and they ask me about my bike and send me on my way.
It's all about how one handles themselves with the officer. Be nice, informed and polite and most of the time you will win out in the end.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang Dav. "habitual loiter" would be a good name for a rock band.
5 Times?!? You have a good out look to not be angry (I get thrown out of the park a few times a yr watching the sunset, $85 fine if you don't go when asked)

But seldom a problem. Cops are just folks too.

Last edited:

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Well I have so many cops in my family, lots so cousins who are cops and have a lot of my former students who are cops and many of my friends are cops. I respect the job they do for us, and by in large they are mostly great servants. But feeling like a felon for just sitting on the beach. What I finally did was to get a fishing license and cast a baitless hook in the water. Nothing is free except your mind, but who whould want mine :)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
What's lame is the "loitering if you're not fishing" thing probably came around so they could bust teens who go hang out there to drink or do whatever. Unfortunately, there is always someone not doing anything wrong that gets affected by that stuff...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If this grouchy neighbor lives closeby and you're serious about taking up a new hobby may I suggest
Chainsaw Carving...
Every neighborhood seems to have one of these guys. I have one who hates dogs. He stopped me while on a walk with my two and asked, very rudely, "Did your dog s**t on my driveway?"
I told him, "No", then showed him the poop bags I carry to pick up after my dogs. I went on my way, angry and plotting a response to his nastily asked question. Later the same day I drove past his house and saw he had his 40 foot motorhome parked on the sidewalk. I called the police and not long after I see the black & white setting at his house and moments later the motorhome was moved. Made me feel great. Revenge isn't always the answer but...sometimes it feels so good.
I'm not advocating revenge to this young man but I agree that his parents should be informed and involved. Behavior like described could escalate into something much more serious.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I do look like a felon. My hair goes all the way down my back, even if it is braided and my goatee is fairly long, mostly gray, with some beard growth as well. I also have a....'perpetually stoned' look to.
Some cops just want to mess with me. Just a few years ago, I would get angry with 'em and usually go to jail, now I just smile at 'em and be nice maybe crack a clean joke and they ask me about my bike and send me on my way.
It's all about how one handles themselves with the officer. Be nice, informed and polite and most of the time you will win out in the end.
hahahaha, "perpetually stoned look"....
>2door looks in the mirror. "Better wear a hat and sunglasses next time I go ridin'" He thinks.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
hahahaha, "perpetually stoned look"....
>2door looks in the mirror. "Better wear a hat and sunglasses next time I go ridin'" He thinks.
When I ride I have my helmet on and a pair of safety glasses that are amber colored lenses. My hair is always braided when I am on the bike so I at least look a little cleaner cut. I don't really try to 'hide' it, just disguise it a little bit with some legitimacy, ya know.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
You should always wear at least sunglasses when you ride.

it's the law here in CO when you're on a motor-powered contraption that you have to have eye protection :)

4wdingman

Aug 26, 2008
Coffs Harbour, Australia
thanks all my parents did call the cops and i told them the story and they said I was breaking the law riding a motor-vehicle without a motorbike licence,rego,a motorbike helmet and I asked them if i could get rego on it and they said "NO". But they said he had no right to run me of the road and for screaming at me and that they where going to go and get up him for doing this.

If one of us normal people that know how hard it is being normal ran the country, this world would be a better place.

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
Hey man don't let them get your spirits down. You did nothing wrong. Do You know the difference between a cop car and an elephant? Do you? Well if you don't, you should...an elephant has its trunk in the front and its arse in the back. LOL think about it!!! I've had a situation where I was riding in my neighborhood at night and some idiot preppy high school kid threw a cup of ice at me in front of his friends. Well, He didn't get away with it, I chased him down hill on my MB and had him arrested for assault.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You guys have it rough.

I have had one "incident" where two drunks in a van towing a boat tried to run me off the road- they were too stupid and drunk to know that all I had to do was slow down quickly and then they almost drove into the ditch. I turned around and they turned around. Then I turned around again, and they screamed obscenities as they drove by....too bad they had to waste all that gas. I wonder if they realized they were going back toward the bar they pulled out of or if they even realized where they were at all.

On the other hand, down here in "south county", the cops don't even bother to patrol.

Hey, I have the best of both worlds!

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
You guys have it rough.

I have had one "incident" where two drunks in a van towing a boat tried to run me off the road- they were too stupid and drunk to know that all I had to do was slow down quickly and then they almost drove into the ditch. I turned around and they turned around. Then I turned around again, and they screamed obscenities as they drove by....too bad they had to waste all that gas. I wonder if they realized they were going back toward the bar they pulled out of or if they even realized where they were at all.

On the other hand, down here in "south county", the cops don't even bother to patrol.

Hey, I have the best of both worlds!
YEP AHIO!!! :D sounds like the type of drunk that has crazy ideas about drive-thru service. :D

Attachments