rubber glued to engine cover works!

GoldenMotor.com

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
As far as I am concerned this small step helps quiet things down more than anything else. I rode my bike after putting grease on the gears( on the clutch side) and glued a rubber mat on the cover and it sounds like a new motor.
I am shocked at how much of a difference this makes. Now I will work on getting rubber on the cooling fins of the head.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I did a Norman trick on my cooling fins. We cut short peices of vinyl tubing and stuffed in between the fins on the head. I quietened things down quite a bit....................

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I did a Norman trick on my cooling fins. We cut short peices of vinyl tubing and stuffed in between the fins on the head. I quietened things down quite a bit....................
I know that with tubes you are still getting some air to flow, put it has to cut down on cooling :confused:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A lot of dirtbikes use(d) rubber chunks between the fins and it doesn't seem to affect them, except for sound deadening.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
If your worried about the cooling being blocked by some tubing to quiet down the fins vib. think about a dirt bike in the mud?! the engine can be packed in mud and it keeps on going. May not be the best thing in the world for it but it will not kill it. Air cooled engines run with a bunch more clearances than water cooled.
I don't fret about these bike engines if it does blow so what, I don't have a small fortune in it, it a motorized bicycle not a rolls. I say have fun with these ride them like you stole it and put it away wet these are not a crown Jewel just a bicycle with a cheap engine, and a cheap made one at that. More likely rejects or seconds sent to us. Take one all the way apart and see the quality of the manufacturing on these. There ain't none.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
If it does add oil they ain't going to last for ever. You could go to a kart shop and buy a head temp gauge and monitor the temp. American power sports sells a nice gauge and it has a tach and a cht tap to boot. it can remember your max rpm, head temp and cht. all this cause when racing you ain't looking to see if your engine is being over revved or if you exceeded at max temp etc you are trying to get around the guy in front or keep the guy behind you behind you not worrying about the abuse the engine is taking.
The price for this little gauge is the price of an engine kit last time I bought one so I don't run one as I said I don't worry about the temp and weather or not its going to melt. I worry about how far am I going to have to pedal this thing if it does break and it will more than likely be a flat tire. So far I've made it home with out walking even when I broke an axle.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
You don't glue anything in. Just cut little short pieces of tube and stuff it in between the fins. I can't remember for sure but I think I put six in mine and they are all still there......................

cruiser66

Mar 4, 2008
Westport, MA
Going back to the original thread, was the rubber mat like a car floor mat? I was thinking of using a softer rubber like whats used in computer mouse pads. What kind of glue? Maybe some kind of contact cement?

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Hey cruiser, I think the mouse pad would be OK. I took the easy way out and used a roofing product. I don't know what it is called but I think it's for the edge of your roof and goes under your shingles. It has it's own glue and you just peel off the wax paper and stick it on just like you would with a decal. To be honest, I would like to go thicker and am thinking "1/2 inch thick mud flap off of the rear of a transport truck. I would try contact cement to hold it on.
I went out for another ride last night and was so amazed at how this mod helps. I guess it's like holding your hand on a bell, it stops the ringing!

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
If you have any old 7mm plug wire,it works pretty good.Cut 1/2" or less pieces and jam between every other fin.Ron

cruiser66

Mar 4, 2008
Westport, MA
Hey cruiser, I think the mouse pad would be OK. I took the easy way out and used a roofing product. I don't know what it is called but I think it's for the edge of your roof and goes under your shingles. It has it's own glue and you just peel off the wax paper and stick it on just like you would with a decal. To be honest, I would like to go thicker and am thinking "1/2 inch thick mud flap off of the rear of a transport truck. I would try contact cement to hold it on.
I went out for another ride last night and was so amazed at how this mod helps. I guess it's like holding your hand on a bell, it stops the ringing!
Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with that roofing product and the glue will work good with the high heat from the engine. The heavier density of the roofing stuff might be better for sound deadening than the mouse pad material. The mud flap is also a good idea too if you can get it to stick on. It will be interesting to see how well contact cement works...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
To be honest, I would like to go thicker and am thinking "1/2 inch thick mud flap off of the rear of a transport truck. I would try contact cement to hold it on.
That may work O.K., but you are better off with a softer material.

The BEST sound deadener? Lead.

Next best, but probably not suitable? Sound deadener like they use in auto doors- looks and feels like a sticky clay.

For our bikes, I'd recommend a thick, dense rubber, but not too hard a compound.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Just used some rubberized plastic that I had laying around. It is about 1/8" thick and does an excellent job. Like was mentioned earlier, any rubberized plastic will work. What I mean by rubberized is that it is not brittle. Acrylic won't work, too brittle and sounds like glass. You want something that sounds more like a tire when you tap it.