Riding in the hood.

GoldenMotor.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I think I'd have done like deacon just buzz on by. Of course if they made me stop, well we do have concealed carry laws in Texas.......................(^)

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Thats why I like to have Bob along, While doing the shoot out at the OK corral, I'm going for reinforcements. Yea right! I'm haulin my mule out of there. Hit you target Bob! feel the force! Squeeze don't yank the trigger. OOhee! A mellon shot, man thats gotta hurt!
I got to stop smellin all that polyester resins its gettin to me.( heavy breathing, wheezing and coughing)
Vader

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
God I am such a wimp.

I am too old to scare off, and too stupid to carry a weapon. There were way too many of them to fight. If I had to do it, I probably would have used the bike like a bowling ball. They were all in a nice tight group. Oh now I can see a scene for a story there. Maybe the one I'm doing now. A good ending there.

Thanks guys I'll keep this in mind.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I went back out into the hood today. This time there was a group playing basketball in the street. They moved out of my way, and I was very respectful of them. It was a pleasant ride until, the clutch cable seem to stop clutching. I moved and tightened the screw with the back of my knife blade. Yes I left my tool kit at home since I had been working on the basket.

I Got the bike home and into my shop. I was moving the bike to attach a new mirror when the clutch stopped working again. Not only that the cable broke. I had used two small bits of sheath with two ends right in the middle. It broke at that joint so obviously the metal ends and the vibrations just were not a good mix. I think it is time I bought some cable sheath and ends. or at the very least a long preassembed cable.

I got it working with a new cable in the old sheath. I took off the metal ends and taped it together. Probably won't hold so a new cable and sheath just because I want to be ready next time.

I still love the bike, it gives me something to do every time I ride it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Maybe thats why so many of us in love with the bikes are older. We appreciate the challenge as much as the ride. By older I don't mean as old as me, but past teenagers who would just be embarrassed by the pedals lol

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Today I have a new plan for the big coaster. I try to always keep a couple of plans in mind. I need exercise and I love the bike path. Even though it is a nice downhill ride to the path of about five blocks, then it is a ride up and down hills all of them doable with the pedals. The part I begin on is the hardest one to navigate but it can be done. I need to just ride till I build up my stamina anyway.

My options, which are pretty rotten in general are:

1. Put the bike on the back of my car and drive to the path, then ride it put the bike back on the car and drive home. I am trying to wean myself from automobiles so that one is my least favorite.

2. What I did last ride was to the park with the assist motor on and the batteries on the bike. Not nearly as easy as it sounds to drive around with thirty or so extra pounds of dead weight on the bike. But I could kick the motor in and ride home.

3. Go with the motor period and just push the bike up the one truly nasty hill on the way home. That is just embarrassing for me. Not to mention after the challenging bike path I am just plain worn out.

4. The last option I am going to set up today. Put the 'big' batteries on the trailer along with the assist engine. Set it up so the assist engine can be attached easily and the switch for the motor as well. Haul the trailer (down hill remember) to the park with the motor on the trailer in a bag. Leave the trailer locked to a bench on the path. Yes someone can steal the batteries and the motor, but so what. They won't get the trailer that deacon built (maybe). I can do the path or it can do me, but then i can attach the motor in two minutes and use it to pedal home.

So for the next couple of days, I rebuild the trailer and make the assist motor completely self contained and ready to go on at a moments notice. Onto any bike, I might add.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It was cold and I worked with stiff cold fingers to redo the trailer which is acceptable but not much more. It tracks fine and pulls fine, just is a trailer. It's a little top heavy because the wheels are so tall. Next i'm going to look for 12" wheels for a trailer. I have two twenty inch wheels but I'm not sure what I will do with them now.

The easy off and on electric motor does the job just as I thought it would. The bike should work out just fine till someone steals my trailer and batteries.

I still have the big red huffy set up with two electric motors. I guess I'll just keep it for a spare, of course I now have one gas and two count em two electro spares. Hmmmm

When my hands warm up I need to adjust the hand brake cable. The last coaster now has a hand brake. That's probably a good thing wish I could do one on the front of the sissy without losing my fender. With all the jammed fender talk might be a good thing to lose it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Beautiful I got my new tensioner with the bearings. When your links arrive, I can reconfigure the chain for the most secure rear wheel assembly. Man I really do appreciate it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have the sissy almost ready to go so I wanted to put a sign on the rear basket. I went to office depot near my house to have one made. The girl in the print shop has to be all of 22 if that. So we are talking about customers being a pain. I explain that my sign is a joke since I am retired and my son and law took over.

She said, "What do you do with your time?"

"I build bicycles sorta," I repled. "Ones with motors."

"Oh my god, you are the guy with all those motor bikes. I live near you. I see you all the time. I just love that new gasoline one you have."

I swear I felt about twenty again lol. God I love my bike.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got my chance to do what the bike was set up to do. I jumped on it and rode it to the store. I bought a valentine card (legalized prostitution im told) and a can of paint. I left the bike locked to a post in front of the store where I bought the card. I walked half way down the shopping center to the auto parts store for the paint. I keep telling them at the auto parts store they need to carry greeting cards but they won.t listen.

Anyway when I left the store I can see way off some middle aged guy circling the bike. He is looking at it from all angles. Finally before I can get there I see him writing down the number off my sign. He doesn't want pictures I'm sure he wants to talk about the bike.

I can not get over what a stir this thing causes.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Once he rides it he will be even more hooked. The darn things are just plain fun to ride. I have no idea why. I have cars passing me all the time and I am just as happy as if I had a rolls. Something about being able to say, "Oh I built it myself and no it's not for sale."

In other words jerk I'm part of an exclusive club you can't BUY your way into... Yet that is..

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
On all three of these bikes I've owned I sold two right away. Keeping this one (for now).

No matter where I go, I expect to take extra time to talk.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
WEll nobody here is selling them so the guys I see really cant buy their way into the club just yet. Like you, I could have sold mine more than once, and I have hardly been riding at all. On top of that it's not much of a bike either.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Today I field tested my new electro bike-o..

Before I could even start I changed the tire from a thin 1.75 to a full 2.125. I just like the idea of the balloon tires on the big bike. I also removed the chain guard since it was hanging on the chain and I didn't want to waste time with it.

I checked the batteries for charge and they were close enough to full for the test at hand. I loaded them onto one of my trailers, made with lawn mower wheels and pvc pipe. Then I attached it to the full sized cruiser. The one with the full sized crank that is. I have another electro cruiser that stays set up and doesn't get a lot of use right now.

The one I was field testing has a quick mount motor. The reason is for exercise believe it or not. I started out with no motor attached. I rode the bike down hill to the bike trail, a very steep hill I might add. When I got there I found that I hadn't brought the proper wrench to remove the trailer. However with a little left hand english I managed to break it loose.

I moved the trailer off the path to the edge of the woods. Then I took off on the bike. There is a nice gentle slope on the part of the path I take. It is one and one half mile of gentle downhill ride.

However the problem is I have to come back. After two heart attacks I get winded very easily. I made it back with only three stops. I thought that was pretty average for me so I was satisfied. I got back to find the trailer right were I left it. I should have left a twenty dollar bill attached so someone would steal it.

I bolted on my scooter motor with the home made smooth drive wheel. Hooked up the two garden tractor batteries. That particular bike is wired with a household extension chord. The only thing that remains on the bike after the ride, is the household light switch that has the extension chord end on it. Okay I'll add a drawing to show you how that works.

It worked perfectly I got home in one piece and not out of breath. That thing would be ideal for someone who needed to ride five or so miles to work and could then charge the batteries there. I'll put the wiring diagram in the electro bike section.

Nothing to exciting except the electro convertible works really nice. Oh yeah it was 45 degrees and a bit chilly for a ride but this afternoon when it is nice I'm taking the sissy for a ride.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just finished the new version of sissy bike on steroids. I'll get you guys a picture. First thing I did when I got the wiring finished at about eight pm was to check the weather. Boy these things really do become way too important to me.