really gona miss her

GoldenMotor.com

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
'bout ten years ago I was doin' some volunteer work at a local open air amphitheater in a park when someone came along and dumped two dogs in the park. One of them, who got the new name of Sparky, came right on in The Shell and got food and water. The other dog was very skittish and no body could catch her, she wouldn't come near anyone either.
After almost a week, I took a pound of fresh ground beef and went to the part of the park I had last seen her. Her friend Sparky was with me when she spotted us and she could see that I was giving Sparky something to eat. Well, she came about 20 yards from the bench I had chosen and was watching real interested like.
I balled up a little bit of the ground beef and threw it about 17-18 yards out, she had to come closer to get it and when she looked up after eating it there was another one on the way. I kept doing this until she was just at arms reach and I was almost out of beef.
With the last bit I had, I held it out to her, when she reached out to sniff it I let it fall to the ground. She quicjkly bent down to eat it and I hooked my fingers through her coller real fast like. She pulled back and I told her "No". She paulled again and again I told her "No" and tapped the ground next to the last of the ground beef, asking if she wanted the rest of it. She ate the rest and I walked with her back to The Shell.
She was one of the best dogs I have ever had the pleasure of having.
I had to take her in and have her put down this afternoon and I will miss her for a long time.
She always acted like she was a grand lady and would try to boss me around at times. Everyone who knew her remarked on how smart she seemed and how friendly she acted. Those that didn't know her were frieghtened and would not come near unless I gave the ok and even then some wouldn't come within 20 feet of her. I could leave my front door wide open during the summer and strangers wouldn't even come on the porch, or rather, when she heard them start to come up the steps, they quickly went back down with her at the screen door.

Well I guess if you've read this far there should be a pic of the bossy heiffer. Bossy heiffer is the nick-name she earned as she grew older.

Attachments

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Beautiful dog and beautiful story.

My wife and I married twenty years ago. When we bought a house the first thing we did was to get a puppy from her brother. We wanted a puppy to grow up with our preteen daughter.

He lived eleven years and his ashes sit in our living room today. They are there because he watched over us in live and he still watches over us. I thought I was raising him but he raised me. I had been married and chasing women all my life but he and my last wife taught me about love, responsibility, and how to be strong without being alone.

I have two dogs now but none of them are Max and they don't want to be. Each of them is a different dog and loved, but none of them is Max.

I still see that big brown dog in the shadows of my house late at night. I think he spends his days with my mom and dad playing like the puppy he always was at heart. I'm not waiting for him to come back,. he's just waiting for me to come home again.

I feel your pain and I mean that sincerely.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
I mourn your loss. She was a companion, a friend, and family to you as you were to her. She lived her life full of your love and she had returned it unconditionally.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
My sympathy goes out to you. We lost our little cowdog Penny this summer. We still miss her. We have since adopted a couple of Greyhounds. They are precious and have helped with the healing but they are not Penny. Again my sympathy.....................Bob

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
It's so very quiet in the house now.
I was remembering the first day I caught Annabelle aka Bossy Heifer. Once she finished eating the ground beef I had used to trick her, she had decided that I was her human. I could let that dog run all over the park and she would return with a whistle. She usually tried to keep me in sight anyway as if she feared that I would leave her.
That first year I had her, she woke me up one morning about 4 a.m. beside my bed. She looked like she might be a little cold and I asked her is she was. Some of you will know what I mean when I say she 'told' me yes. I asked if she wanted to get 'under covers' and again she 'told' me yes. I threw the comforter back and she jumped from the floor, over me, to the middle of the bed, didn't touch me at all but as soon as she touched the bed she was laying down. I threw the covers back over her and that was that. Any time she was cold she would 'tell' me, and I would put a blanket over her.

I know I did the right thing but it sure doesn't make it any easier now.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
It's so very quiet in the house now.
I was remembering the first day I caught Annabelle aka Bossy Heifer. Once she finished eating the ground beef I had used to trick her, she had decided that I was her human. I could let that dog run all over the park and she would return with a whistle. She usually tried to keep me in sight anyway as if she feared that I would leave her.
That first year I had her, she woke me up one morning about 4 a.m. beside my bed. She looked like she might be a little cold and I asked her is she was. Some of you will know what I mean when I say she 'told' me yes. I asked if she wanted to get 'under covers' and again she 'told' me yes. I threw the comforter back and she jumped from the floor, over me, to the middle of the bed, didn't touch me at all but as soon as she touched the bed she was laying down. I threw the covers back over her and that was that. Any time she was cold she would 'tell' me, and I would put a blanket over her.

I know I did the right thing but it sure doesn't make it any easier now.
Wow, ayup. They do "say" "tell" and or told and talk. A good human pays attention. God bless. I am so sorry for your loss. I truly understand. There are no words, .... There is no hurt like this. Just know my and many prayers go out to you, yours and MS. Annabelle.

Last edited: