race bike, pit bike, or death trap?

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im with Silverbear, i really like the tank in its raw form...... i think if you got a "little monster" decal in red lettering for the tank it would look awesome..... and you dont have to worry about spilling fuel on the tank's paintjob :)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i dunno. i'll ride it for awhile and see if i get used to the raw copper look...

SB, i may work faster, but this tank has waves, bumps, dings and lumps in it, and it's not perfectly straight. watching you and tinsmith do it is cool, to see how it should be done. mine's straight out of the bronze age.

but it don't leak...:)

got it running again with the tank bungeed on. gps'd at 39mph. nice and stable at that speed. still some vibes, but not bad. pretty sure it's 'cause the exhaust is hanging off and the tank's not strapped onto it. gotta get all the loose ends tied up to smooth it out.

i'm gonna build, or modify, or buy an expansion chamber for it. that, and a few more tricks should get me into the 40's. it accelerates really quick with the smaller wheels on it, so it's shaping up to be a true racer.

here's the long awaited pics of me astride the 'lil bastard. a little small, but it makes it easy to throw around:

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like bronze age. It's a good looking racer and with the seat the way you've done it, you made the bike fit you for racing. When you guys were talking about it being a little monster I thought of that animal there are cartoons about, the Tasmanian Devil, feisty lil bastard with snarly big teeth. Ha!
SB

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
here's some pics of a re-worked SBP pipe for the backwards engine. it was pretty easy to mod, just cut off about an inch of the top "hook" on the header pipe, then welded it it all together.

wrapped it up to save my leg, and it's all good.

my phone locked up so i didn't get a GPS speed on it, but it's a lot faster than before. really kicks in the mid range and top end.

i'll GPS it tomorrow, probably wake up early and go to Derilect Donuts car show and meet up with MSR fan.

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That bike is way too cool....... would love to see a video..... do you have a small son or a jockey friend? Id like to see a photo with one of them sitiing on it, that would be cool :)

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
saturday, i tore it down when i had to re-solder the petcock on, repainted it, put it all back together, and rode it sunday.

on the way to get a burrito, my brake cable snapped off at the lever. i made a "cable doubler" so one lever controls both drums, so at 35mph i had no brakes.

i had to putt it home, flinstone-ing to a stop at every light.

now i need new shoes and a brake cable.

and a gremlin bell wouldn't hurt...

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
That bike is way too cool....... would love to see a video..... do you have a small son or a jockey friend? Id like to see a photo with one of them sitiing on it, that would be cool :)
Heck, Baird himself is about jockey size! He's what, bout 5'6" 140 or so. Excellent racing advantage.

Lot of us say it would be scary if he started building some 4-strokes! :D

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
5' 7" and 135...:)

i rode it to work today, 4 miles.

sputtered, took 2 blocks to start, but made it there.

died on the way home and wouldn't fire up. got a ride home, checked the head gasket, fine, changed the cdi, nothing, changed the magneto...

fired right up in about 5'. runs great.

thats the third gt5 from this batch with a bad mag right outta the box.

gonna try to get to the track this weekend and see what else i can break.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
a funny thing happened on the way home from the donut shop...

i woke up early and headed over to the donut shop/car show about 6 miles away. it had rained the night before, so the streets were wet, and it reminded me how nice fenders are.

bike ran good, except the foam air filter would soak up a little water, so it sputtered a little, but nothing too bad.

met up with Dale (msrfan) and wandered around looking at cars (yawn) and had a great time watching people check out my bike. everyone seemed to love it.

when i left, it was a little hard to start, but i think it was because of the wet air filter, 'cause after a few blocks it was ripping along with traffic, running like a champ.

i was 2 blocks from home when there was a loud BANG! and it died.

pulled it apart and, well, the pictures speak for themselves...

new motor, probably 25 miles on it total, running 80:1 opti. spark plug was still nice and chocolate-y, cylinder walls were nice and slick, and surprisingly, barely scratched.

another motor for the scrap pile, another strike against the Skyhawk factory.

i modified the motor mounts on my trusty old GT4 Starfire straight plug,( the same motor with about 10k miles on it, the same motor i used at the death race and at willow) to fit into my frame, so hopefully it'll be bulletproof.

i'm done with china motors. unless they get epa approval for the starfire factory, i'm not gonna waste my time.

Attachments