Purchased a Raw brand 80cc motor recently. Some problems I've run into.

GoldenMotor.com

Exiled

Dec 20, 2008
Greater Boston area
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Ever since I was 13 I've wanted to put a motor on a bicycle and ride it around. Now that I'm older, I can afford some of the things I wanted when I was younger. I will be 23 in 11 days.

I've been installing this thing for two days now and I've run into a few problems, mechanical as well as logistical

1) I accidentally broke off a piece of plastic from the throttle. The part that holds the cable in place. Having learned a few things from my dad who is a handyman, I managed to get the plastic back into place, cable and all, with some wood shims, glue, and tiny eyeglass screws. It still held together after a 30 turn stress test. I still fear it might break one day, where do I get a replacement?

2) While screwing the intake manifold back in, the bolt head broke off; I suppose it wasn't screwing in flush. My dad has a tool I can borrow to get what is left of the bolt out but I need a replacement bolt. Where do I get one?

3) The kit I purchased didn't come with an instruction manual, even though it was supposed to. The site I purchased from had an instruction manual pdf linked from where a purchased it, but it was for a 48cc motor; there are some discrepancies. The difference that is bothersome is that the kill switch isn't separate, it houses the clutch as well. That isn't the problem though, the problem is that there are TWO wires coming from the kill switch and I have no idea where they go. Can someone clue me in?

4)There is no battery to start the engine, I assume the power comes from my petaling the bike. How fast do I need to be going to start the engine? How do I start the engine? Am I going to go FLYING when I engage this thing for the first time? I know very little when it comes to internal combustion engines (I expect to learn).

5)The chain is too long, am I right to assume the tool to adjust the length can be found at a motorcycle shop?

6)The instruction manual says I need to mix oil in with the gasoline. What kind of oil do I need? Do I get it at a motorcycle shop?

7)What are the laws governing vehicles with 80cc engines? Can't I just take off the sticker that says its a 80cc engine since it looks the same as a 50cc motor? I live in Mass. by the way. Do I need a license plate for this? Do I need a class M license? Is it legal to ride without a license or license place as long as I don't turn on the motor?

8)is the motor between my legs going to set my pants on fire?

Thanks a ton in advance.

Last edited:

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Ever since I was 13 I've wanted to put a motor on a bicycle and ride it around. Now that I'm older, I can afford some of the things I wanted when I was younger. I will be 23 in 11 days.

I've been installing this thing for two days now and I've run into a few problems, mechanical as well as logistical

1) I accidentally broke off a piece of plastic from the throttle. The part that holds the cable in place. Having learned a few things from my dad who is a handyman, I managed to get the plastic back into place, cable and all, with some wood shims, glue, and tiny eyeglass screws. It still held together after a 30 turn stress test. I still fear it might break one day, where do I get a replacement?

My throttle broke in the same place I went out and got a throttle assy from a motorcycle shop for 7/8" handlebars. I only used the plastic insert so i could keep my integrated kill switch that is built into the throttle..

2) While screwing the intake manifold back in, the bolt head broke off; I suppose it wasn't screwing in flush. My dad has a tool I can borrow to get what is left of the bolt out but I need a replacement bolt. Where do I get one?

The hardware on these engines is VERY cheap. Go to Ace, Home Depot, Tractor Supply and replace all the hardware. Mounting studs can be made with allthread rod.

3) The kit I purchased didn't come with an instruction manual, even though it was supposed to. The site I purchased from had an instruction manual pdf linked from where a purchased it, but it was for a 48cc motor; there are some discrepancies. The difference that is bothersome is that the kill switch isn't separate, it houses the clutch as well. That isn't the problem though, the problem is that there are TWO wires coming from the kill switch and I have no idea where they go. Can someone clue me in?

MY instructions stated one wire coming from the kill switch goes to the white wire from the engine the other from the kill switch to the frame on the bike. 4)There is no battery to start the engine, I assume the power comes from my petaling the bike. How fast do I need to be going to start the engine? How do I start the engine? Am I going to go FLYING when I engage this thing for the first time? I know very little when it comes to internal combustion engines (I expect to learn).

You just need to peddle fast enough to turn the engine over, you will not go flying these engines are not that powerful.

5)The chain is too long, am I right to assume the tool to adjust the length can be found at a motorcycle shop?

I think you would find one easier at a bicycle shop. I dont use one I drive the pin out by placing the link on a block of wood and driving the pin out with an awl, then I shorten and insert the same pin back in, so no master link. You could also grind the pin....

6)The instruction manual says I need to mix oil in with the gasoline. What kind of oil do I need? Do I get it at a motorcycle shop?

Any quality 2 stroke oil that is made for AIR COOLED engines. NO marine oils.
Motorcycle store, Walmart, etc.

7)What are the laws governing vehicles with 80cc engines? Can't I just take off the sticker that says its a 80cc engine since it looks the same as a 50cc motor? I live in Mass. by the way. Do I need a license plate for this? Do I need a class M license? Is it legal to ride without a license or license place as long as I don't turn on the motor?

I dont believe 80 cc are legal anywhere in the US, I have a 48 cc, but the officials dont know what you have. You ned to check the State of residency for laws governing motorized bicycles. You should be able to find you answer in the "Legislation" section...

Thanks a ton in advance.

Hope this helps a bit, anymore questions, just ask and someone will be happy to reply.........

George...............

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Yeh bicycle chain breaker is too small, misteright1 99's method will work though. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Hello and welcome! I am 500 miles past building and riding my first MB. I used 6 ounces of two stroke oil per gallon of gas for the first two tank fulls per my instuctions. After that I use two stroke synthetic oil at two each 2.4 ounce bottles per gallon of gas. To engage engine I peddle to 8 to 10 MPH before releasing the clutch lever. Locals laws? Check with your city and state Motor vehicle laws. Mine in Mo. Requires license and registration if engine is over 50cc. Mine is a 49cc. Truth is, no law enforcement has questioned me at all and I have rode daily since June 08.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com

there are a few vendors here, that have replacement parts. try the seller of your kit first. may get a deal.

what is that, guys? i have completely forgotten. 6mmX1 or 8mmX1 stud at hardware store

just take one (either color. doesnt matter) and tie it into the white wire, coming out of motor, and the other either to ground, or the black wire coming out of motor. both DAX and SPOOKYTOOTH have online instructions on their site

4)There is no battery to start the engine, I assume the power comes from my petaling the bike. How fast do I need to be going to start the engine? How do I start the engine? Am I going to go FLYING when I engage this thing for the first time? I know very little when it comes to internal combustion engines (I expect to learn).
oh yes, you'll learn rotfl. turn choke lever up, pedal at a good clip, release clutch lever. it should go POP! turn choke down almost all the way and do it again. now it should run. no, you're not going to get whiplash from pulling some serious G's.
or moped/atv/dune buggy, all motorsports place. u need a chainbreaker for a 415-420 chain.

2-stroke oil. wal-mart, gas station, whatever. 7oz/gal for first 3 tanks, then 6oz after that. keep in mind, that power will gradually increase oduring the 3-tank break-in period. since the motor is new and tight, dont expect any power until then.

dont know. dont care.

now you're just being silly. are these questions for real? i'm starting to wonder if i just wasted 10minutes.

Thanks a ton in advance.

good luck.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Geez.....ANOTHER supposedly super high quality RAW engine kit that has lots of problems, and NO MANUAL.

So much for truth in advertising!

I hope we never hear from the sellers of RAW engines about how great their stuff is and how they are better than anyone else.

It's just not true.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You have come to the right place however, to get you going and fix any and all problems you may encounter.

Welcome Exiled, welcome.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

YES!!! the engine WILL set your pants on fire!
I recommend wearing a firesuit while you ride! rotfl :D dance1

Exiled

Dec 20, 2008
Greater Boston area
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
To respond to bikeguy Joe: to be fair, the problems I am having are mostly self inflicted.
To respond to HseLoMein: I'll consider it. Also, where do you go for parts and supplies in the area?
To respond to everyone who made fun of question #8: This was a concern brought up by my family. They insisted I do research even though I thought it was a stupid concern.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA

In the great state of MA you will need a moped sticker it will cost you $40 for 2 years of registration. Different towns will treat you differently in terms of registration. Be prepared to lie cheat and steal to get it on the road read this thread for more info:
http://motorbicycling.com/f17/massachusetts-registration-woes-3052.html

And yes I took my serial number and added 5 zeros to the front of it. I also lied about how many CC's my engine is.

But here's what I can tell you, depending on where you ride, you can get harassed by the PO PO. When I ride my friction drive they slow down, when I ride my stingray they follow me, until they see that sticker, displayed prominently on the back of my ride. when I have run into a cop, theyhave been friendly and nice about my bike.

Have fun. While the engine won't set you on fire, it can keep you warm on a chilly ride... Esp that exhaust.lowriderl