Probably a crazy idea : Micargi Puma GTS with Lifan 250 v-twin

Discussion in 'Motorized Cruiser Bicycles' started by xXNightRiderXx, May 23, 2018.

1. xXNightRiderXx

Hey guys, I know I ain't been active in a while. Been busy on a bunch of other crap. Anyways, I was browsing around amazon a while back, and found the Lifan engine mentioned in the title, and more recently, found the puma for less than $300. Now, I'm mentioning these two items together because I figured that frame would not only fit, but also reliably handle this engine, and this two cylinder monster can also be a self contained power source for lights, having an integrated 12v charging system built into the stator. It has a built in 5 speed tranny, and that, combined with a 38t direct drive sprocket, should make for a pretty badass ride. Everything the bike would need, minus running lights, drive gear, and the engine mount, is there, and ready to use. Has anyone already done this one, or is it still waiting to be tested?

Dan likes this.
  2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

I would love to see it, but that is an extremely difficult build IMHO. You would need motorcycle brakes to stop it. By the time you finished, it wouldn't resemble a bicycle any more.

Dan likes this.
  3. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Waiting for you to make this happen.

LIFAN 250cc V-Twin Manual Clutch 5 Speed with Electric Start Lifan 250cc v-twin engine w/ 5 speed transmission electronics . This engine puts out about 18 HP. Engine Model: 2V49FMM These engines are complete with 5 speed transmission, electronic. Stop putting a lawnmower engine on that Mini Chopper give your Mini Chopper the authentic look it deserves with a real motorcycle engine. 250cc V-Twin Engine Specs: Type 4 Stroke Twin cylinders, V-Twin, four stroke, air-cooled Displacement (c.c.) 248cc Bore x Stroke (mm) 49.0 x 66.0 Max HP 16.25 HP @ 8,000 rpm Max Torque 13 ftlbs @ 6,000 rpm Compression 10.0:1 Ignition system: CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) Idle 1,300 rpm Starter Kick and Electric Clutch Manual Wet Multiple Plate Transmission Left foot gear-change, five-gear constant meshing Lubrication Pressure splash inner-outer scavenger rotor Voltage 12 Volt
    Length 20.25"
    Width 14.25"
    Height 17.75"
    Weight 95 lbs.

4. GarageLife714

GarageLife714 New Member

I want this motor for my kit bobber bike. I have 200cc kikker gen2. That 250cc vtwin would fit perfectly (drools).. Sigh...

Dan likes this.
  5. xXNightRiderXx

I've decided against the Puma, and instead im buying a stretch frame so I can pick and choose my components, and I could send the frame in to fit it with a linkage suspension, that way i can slap a nice big air shock on the rear. Mtb components are probably gonna be the best way to go here. When I have the frame modified, I will likely make the dropouts wider and the stays a bit longer so I can put a 26x4.0 tire on it. I will be using spoked wheels, and im goin 10ga with the spokes. All said, I think this bike is gonna run be around $5000 to build, and about another 500 for insurance, titling, and registration.

As for the suspension design for the rear, I'm gonna keep it simple and stick with a linkage driven single pivot. And, for the night ranger, it will be a floating shock system. You can get all sorts of inspiration for rear suspension from the mtb industry, so take a look. Im also going to be using a fox float shock on the rear, cause why spare the expense, and fox is known for making some really plush shocks.

The fork will be a rockshox triple tree, with 203mm of travel. Air sprung as well, so this ride will be smooth and plush. In the meantime, I am still working on getting my 8 speed shifter up to sale quality. Redoing the electronics, including adding a 5 3/4" headlight and a loom, just repainted the frame, and now I'm polishing the engine case. The case will be painted with a chrome paint, with a red anodized finish coat, for that candy look. I also made the largest chainring larger, so I should have more torque available to me now.

Oh, I almost forgot! I will be painting the stretch bike a candy blue, with candy orange accents. Also, I'll be adding forward motorcycle controls behind the bottom bracket, and I will have reserve cranks and pedals stored in the saddle bags.