OMG I have to tune a CNS!!! Help

GoldenMotor.com

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You mean the needle on the slide? there's another needle? That sucks I spent an hour trying to get things perfect. I'll have to check it tomorrow. Thanks guys.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You mean the needle on the slide? there's another needle? That sucks I spent an hour trying to get things perfect. I'll have to check it tomorrow. Thanks guys.
No, not the needle slide.

There's another needle in the float bowl that stops the gas coming in when it's full. Don't worry, it's easy to fix. Yours probably just fell out like droc's.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The float needle is spring loaded to cushion the mechanism against shock and bending when you ride over bumps and ruts as the fuel sloshes around inside the float bowl.
It is common in every major brand motorcycle carburetor made after 1980ish.

Set the float height with all free play removed from all touching parts, spring loaded plunger not yet compressed into the needle.

Last edited:

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thanks. That will prolong my hands smelling like gas for a little longer. I remember these parts, but I don't recall the pin. Is it attached to the little plate on the float hinge or is it removable? I don't think I dropped any small parts. I guess there's only one way to find out...

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thanks. That will prolong my hands smelling like gas for a little longer. I remember these parts, but I don't recall the pin. Is it attached to the little plate on the float hinge or is it removable? I don't think I dropped any small parts. I guess there's only one way to find out...
The float needle is a tiny part, easy to over look. Now that you're aware of it you probably won't have trouble with it again.

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
It's not attached, it slides up into a little hole. just make sure the little button is sticking out when you put it back or check it.

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Now I'm getting nervous. I hope it didn't fall out.
don't worry if it did fall out it's not going anywhere, it'll just float around in the bowl till you open it, just be careful and be ready for something to fall out when you open it. And then if that's the problem it's super easy to fix, just put it back.

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I hope that's the case and it didn't fall out when I took the whole thing apart to clean it. If that's the case, then it could be gone. Dun Dun Dah (cue dramatic music)

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
ya that would be bad. if that's the case look for a little pyramid shaped piece with a button on it, hopefully you didn't take it apart in the grass lol.

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
No fortunately not in the grass which, coincidentally, I have to mow tonight. I'll look around when I get home and if it's not lying around in the vicinity of where I disassembled it, it must be in the bottom the the float bowl. (fingers crossed)

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I found out my float was upside down. I flipped it and problem solved. I tightened everything down and took it for a spin. It was idling pretty high and I had to adjust the screws to get it back down to a "low rumble." I'm thinking before I did all of this, I had a slight air leak. It was having a problem turning over though for some reason. The spark plug took forever to start firing. Now if I can only get this new cdi and coil configuration up and running...

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I know that feels good to get it running again. At least these motors are so easy to work on.

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
So would a clutch keep a bike from idleing if its not being pulled tight enough it feels like it needs to be tighter. My bike peddles real easy but my girls bike is tough and when you slow down with the clutch pulled it will just die when you get to slow.

skrew37

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I love how something else always seems to go wrong as soon as you fix something... I've solved the problem with my carb. and I feel it's as properly tuned as it's going to be until my break-in is over. NOW, while re-tightening everything else on the bike, I cracked an ear my intake manifold flange. Air leak. Awesome. I have to order a new one from boostinductionsystems as I have the double-boost bottle kit. (I know, it's probably overkill and doesn't do much, but I have it, use it, and I think it looks cool). Also, I acquired a snapped tank bracket. These were custom made as my top tube is too thick for the stock straps. This should keep me busy and off the road.