Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Thanks Steve, I too have heard from SB recently and it's good to know he's doing well and seems to be quite happy. His occasional input here would be much welcomed by me also. I guess between the three of us it has been a year of challenges and recovery. It's always a wonderful escape to come here and"be with" everyone and sometime participate. I have a new carb to install on MotoBike. Tried to salvage the gunked original to no avail. Just didn't have the ability to get out and run her during the down time. Hope to have enough giddyup to drain and install the new carb soon. I think I'm just about up to riding here in the hood for starters.

Everyone, keep up the good work and providing all the knowledge and experiences. It's wonderful. Didn't realize how much I enjoyed all of this until I was unable to tune in.

Thanks all,
Semper Fi
Dan

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom, I wish I'd thought of that. Getting through the border may be a problem since I'd be my own best customer with any Molson's Ex anywhere near my grasp. They would open the door for inspection and I'd be a heap on the asphalt. I have a fireside story about that and I was so close to home as well.

Needless to say the local constabulary were under amused.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Dan,

You and the old fella had a far harder health ride than I did. Mine is just residual damage from a life than would have been better off if some care and forethought had been taken years ago.

All the health cheques written when I was twenty are now being cashed in the seventies. The great part for me is that I'm here to cash them.

Great to hear that the MotoBike is closer to being back on the road. Getting the ability to do it is a scarce commodity these days but somehow we'll get through it even if it's not as quickly as before.

Take care and keep smiling. It drives the other side crazy wondering what you know that they don't.

Steve.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I don't know you Steve, but if you say "the local constabulary were under amused." I reckon
I am an under achiever.
Being raised Lutheran/Catholic my options were severely limited. You could cause mischief to yourself but not to others.
Steve, if we survive this pox do you reckon we can get on as before? I have my doubts. Here in the States there are folks who resist containment of the Pox. On the other hand, your not being to cross the border relaxes my need to tidy the shop.
Take care and stay well,
Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom, I drove for a year with one point left on my license before they took it away for 6 months and the local police force trying to get it. Longest year of my life. Certainly not Vietnam level but nothing like having the police follow you for 20 minutes at a time just hoping for a chance. Often at an unsafe distance.

If anyone deserved that I certainly did. May have a lot with being bet that I wouldn't drive my buddies Buick powered dragster up a main street at 11:30pm. I was long gone before the police even got a call but there was plenty of evidence on the asphalt that something had happened. They didn't know who it was but it seems that there were very strong suspicions I may have been involved.

Fifty five plus years later self reflection reveals how wrong I was but at the time it sure was fun. A few years later I was on a volunteer fire brigade and saw the aftermath of young people who weren't so luck as I was. Many of them local kids I saw every day. An entirely different time from today.

As long as I can travel I plan to continue on with the plans made. This plague may have different plans but I'll keep my plans in place.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm finding that social isolation has a plus side for me as my social & community commitments are now really limited. I get to do what I want and am not constantly juggling my time between responsibilities. I'm getting more real exercise time & eating better because I'm not constantly eating in restaurants. I'm getting better sleep and I'm riding a lot more. I'm also getting caught up on yard work, household repairs and painting .

I'm also catching up on 21st. tech and learning some new skills as I update my equipment and expand on some great aps/software.

I may even find some time to work on bikes soon, but right now I'm using the current situation in the most positive way I can. I'd like an overall return to normalcy for us all, but utilizing what I can to profit from isolation.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Pete I hope you guys are doing well & adjusted to the current version of normal.

Unique fork options are always in my thoughts for future builds and I've already used most of the typical (but not all of the renditions) vintage style suspension style forks and the girder. I'm leaning in the direction of an Indian style roadster for a future project, but that would almost certainly be a leaf fork, so a repeat use of the leaf spring style as I have one already mounted on my Simplex Copper Gator.

Beautiful Fall weather here in I.T. so riding time is up and prep for Winter projects are competing for time...building is an occasional thing at the moment.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Hi Rick,
Not done much bike related stuff myself for a couple of weeks due to Jen's health issues. Had a particularly difficult job persuading her to eat, to the point where medical advice was sought. Jen's weight has plummeted 25 lbs in the last month and she's at an all time low of under 100 lbs. Scary times, but we luckily managed to stabilize things and she's eating again and taking supplementary Fortisip drinks (basically 300cal milkshakes containing essential minerals) which she enjoys. Lost my own appetite too during this episode.
In other news, my Kawa Drifter was delivered safely on Wednesday. To be honest, it's still outdoors, safely under cover, rather than taking pride of place in the lounge. I haven't even had the time or inclination to look at it for longer than five minutes - which was long enough to verify it's even nicer - and WAY louder! - than shown in the seller's pics and video. Maybe it'll migrate indoors sometime over the coming weekend if I can drum up the enthusiasm.
Had an e-mail update from AliExpress yesterday informing me my drop loop bike frame is ready for collection from Alnwick Mail depot. It'll have to wait till I can find time to pick it up - or re-schedule a delivery.
The whole of the North East UK went into local lockdown from midnight last night due to increases in the Covid count. Here in north Northumberland - which is a massive UK rural county and has more sheep than people - we've never even heard of any covid cases but none-the-less we've been lumped together with the more populated areas such as Newcastle and Gateshead. Lockdown or not, being housebound has become part of everyday life for Jen and I anyway. Long since used to it.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Though the pandemic creates new difficulties in our lives Pete I'm also discovering new opportunities that present themselves along the way & time to pursue them now. I'm still wasting too much of my time but I'd say there is a net gain in productive use of the time and because it involves more than just my tired old routine my level of enthusiasm is much greater.

24 hour care of a loved one is however trying but also should yield rewards daily to both you & your wife. I'd say your self esteem should be extremely high at this time & keeping up with beloved hobbies at the same time a real release from stresses all the realities of your life.

God bless & keep you,

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Last couple of weeks spent in new software, hardware & photo equipment. Learning is the hard part, then applied use and of course more $$ and time. I've been frustrated with photography in the past a couple of times maybe the third is the charm!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'd say 2020 has been a challenge to most yet we are blessed in so many diverse ways that I feel compelled to continually give gratitude for the good and at the same time bear up under life's challenge's.

I pray that each of you take time to realize your many blessings, regardless of life's difficulties,
and give sincere thanks for them.

Have a very joyful Thanksgiving day friends!

thinking retro.jpeg

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
New guy here with a few bits and pieces from a 1957 Simplex Servicycle. Been sitting in a barn for the last 35 years. It's fortunate this barn is located in S.W. Oklahoma and it's extremely dry here. There is rust for sure, mostly surface, yet the frame and roll bars are solid. Missing motor, drive train, foot rests and gas tank. I've found that there are many more frames available than motors. The rest of the good news is the frame and drop outs are straight, as is the front dual springer fork (small springs) as are the wheels and spokes front and rear. Both wheels have drum brakes that appear to be complete. No spokes brent or missing. Saddle is also misiing but the 6" headlight is proper and in very good condition.

I'll not be restoring this bike as it seems better suited to a resto/mod revival, and a better use of my time and resources. I've restored vehicles in the past, frame off, and spent years searching for all the pieces at any price and frankly at my age I don't want to spend much more than a few months on any project and I like to get restores right...see my album and if God smiles on me my future posts will include photos.

I have a long background riding/driving and modifying two wheels and 4 yet I look to others for inspiration and instruction. This Simplex fell into my lap, literally handed to me by an aquaintance. All he wanted for the little cycle was to see it on the road again. Dollars didn't matter. As I related he had this in a barn, always dreaming of getting it up and running for 35 years so I owe him this debt to fabricate and finance something he will be proud to watch and if he is able take the first solo on!

I'll try to get some before photos today or tomorrow as our weather is rather bad today. God bless, Rick C.
I can't wait to see the photos of this one!