Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I worked for an auctioneer who had lived in Huston Texas for 20 years. He had a bar and he hired a chap with a smoker on Friday and Saturday night to add to the draw for the bar. Jack said he was really good and well known. After a few weeks Jack would go out to where the smoker was and the fella would show him tips and trick that he's learned over the years.

A couple of years later he wanted to retire and he offered Jack the smoker and he said he'd stay around for a while to make sure there was a smooth change of owners. Jack bought it and as he said what do you do when you own a smoker, you go to competitions to see how good you are.

He won a lot of them and the original owner of the smoker heard he was doing well and called him up and said Jack was ready for the next step and to stop over at his house. Jack got there and they went out to a barn, pulled tarps off a house trailer frame and there was a BBQ Smoker deluxe.

It had three propane tanks converted to smokers on it. The type of propane tanks that you would see behind peoples houses. A huge wood rack on the front and a 250 or 300 gallon propane cut in half that served for cooking beans and chili. The original owner had used it for years at all the top cook offs in Texas and gave it to Jack.

I only saw the photos but it was impressive. Jack had a wall covered in trophy's. He was still BBQing when I moved away 13 years ago and he had a large following but only cooked for weddings and special events.

Jack said the best advise the old owner gave him was to make sure you deliver the samples you were taking to the judges to be tested were in pre warmed coolers. It seems by the time they have gone through dozens and dozens of samples that had cooled off they smiled on the people who were thoughtful enough to make sure the samples were hot.

Steve.
Steve the Houston livestock show is the venue for all round Texas food cookoffs. It's ginormous! The rigs that show up there are truly amazing and food category champions are selected. Best ribs, chili, brisket, sausage, chicken etc. My sons team won the best ribs category a number of years back. The weeklong event was held in the Astrodome parking lot in conjunction with the rodeo and livestock show and auction each year. I'd like to say his ribs were my secret recipe, but it wasn't and the California cookoff Chili recipe mentioned in a previous post wasn't mine either, but I'm sad to say I'm the last remaining team member so I inherited the secret through force reduction, which is strange....

Your employer got bit by the cookoff bug in a big way & much of that is due to the social aspect mixed with testosterone and beer.

We got started on brewing and social distancing due to covid. We need socializing to function well long term as humans. Keeping in touch electronically is an excellent strategy while isolating, but long term we need direct social contact even with the increased risk that presents. I wear a mask and keep spacing but take time to visit with others in public which helps, but if you are a caretaker like Pete and Tom, perhaps others or are at high risk yourself I'd err on the side of both reason and caution for as long as it takes!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
MT electronics and water are of ongoing interest to me. Water resistant is one thing waterproof quite another. Motors, controllers, batteries and controls. Get caught in a driving rain for a prolonged period and perhaps a well designed and sealed system will be fine but in off-roading, long trip bike packing and hunting/fishing adventures really require water proof design and construction. My current e-bikes are sealed as well as I can manage without encasing which would really hamper servicing, but that's the direction I'm leaning toward for my current equipment.

The future looks brighter for motors and controller packages like the Linear Labs M200 motor package touted as water proof. The new design concept also promises twice the efficiency as well as double the torque of any current direct drive brushless design of the same wattage. They are as compact as the traditional brushless designs as well. The Ft. Worth company says Sept. 2020 is first ship date and they are concentrating first on small motors for scooters, e-bikes, mobility and golf carts. This tells me that some of these will produce a fair amount of wattage and run on commonly available lithium packs. Twice the torque is great but twice the efficiency means much more range from a given lithium pack & if correct that would be amazing.

All that torque on a hub motor wouldn't be a problem but on a mid-drive driven from the pedal side& using bicycle chain and cassette would really require some restrained use of the throttle or chain and gears would be scattered about.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Well Rick
Because you out earned me due to being of the age class following the Gi's and I know you earned it. Coming in a generation later with no family examples to go big.
Mind you I once fancied a Six Pack Captain license.
I raced marathon canoe racing for more than ten years. That's how I knew about where EZL fishes. Those flatlanders call drainage ditches rivers, I used to live near ditch #10 in Dekalb county.
I am enthused that you got Salt Water fishing into your life experience.
I have four kayaks in my shed rafters. From Whitewater Slalom to Olympic solo. Missed Jimmy Carters Olympics because Russia was misbehaving in Afghanistan, comes around goes around
I grew up a river rat, walking distance from the Fox River https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
In the early eighties a friend had me party to a Lake Michigan Salmon fishing expedition. After the twenty pounder King caught at dawn not another fish came onboard. But I got the bug.
In 1987 a local paper advertisement listed a 17' boat for at the time a pricey $3500.00. But included down riggers, and outriggers .Four poles and at the time high toned Mitchell reels. and sundry assortment of Salmon lures. Hootchies and spoons.
I had the cash, and not a clue what I was about to purchase. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/16-17/models.html#cohasset
That was Thirty+ some years ago.. Mid 2000's the original 65hp Merc took a ****. My fault, never renewed the water pump impeller. Never did like 2strokes. Even the one powering my Ultralight Airplane.
Rick, bear with me.;)
That Whaler came into my life just before Mona. Being a Scorpio she is a water preson too. Karma? OK! I'm all for it.

I have never feared to pass the horizon. Whalers of 17ft class , in the 70's did it.
My only experience with MV Sweetie, offered was what I expect of a 17ft Boston Whaler
Four stroke engines rock.
Sound is like a Farmall tractor.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
My first true introduction to Southern style BBQ was at gas station turned into a BBQ Joint near where I worked in Florida in the early 1980's. I'd long read and heard about it but sitting down at the counter and pondering just what to have was the first step on a long path looking for perfection.

The owner couldn't believe I'd never had any even though I was from the North. When I told him it was worse than that I was from Canada and BBQ was hamburgers and hot dogs he started me off with a mixed plate and I never looked back. He was a very interesting person to talk to as he explained the in's and out's of the perfect handling of a smoker over the course of many visits.

With Jack I did many trips to Florida as we set up at an antique show three times in the winter then went to Texas after the last show. We hit the BBQ trail with some absolute winners and some that didn't warrant a second try.

My hat is off to anyone who did that. What a wonderful feeling it must have been to be recognized as the best in a field of competitors like that. Just competing would be a high light. Jack mentioned the Huston Live Stock Show. He talked about having his big set up and the winner of the category that he was competing in won using a small rig he brought to the cook off in the trunk of his car. As he said it was humbling and proof that big doesn't always get you the win.

I hope to get one more trip south before I can't travel any more. We were just warned by our Provincial Health Minister to expect 2or 3 more years of social distancing and masks even if a vaccine is found. There is talk here that the border may stay closed until the end of 2023.

As for testosterone and beer, Jack was a flat out winner in that category for certain.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Lot of great posts guys filled with a lot of interesting links and related stories thanks again for taking time to post up some thoughtful replies!

Steve I'm glad you had the BBQ experience & are now a devotee. Good BBQ isn't just a Texas thing, but it's one of three styles of seasoning and often using Mesquite wood for it's unique savor with pecan a close second in my preference. Memphis style and Kansas city round oy the broad range with countless nuances under those three categories. Most small towns, just in the Hill country of Texas alone, boast of the worlds best BBQ & just as often in the ethnic communities where Czech, Polish and German families settled and thrived ,world famous meat markets abound too. You can Waltz across Texas" but you should really eat BBQ as you go!

The Vaqueros of South Texas introduced the early European settlers of the 1800's to the art of the cowboy and ranching livestock to a people who used cattle as beasts of burden and a couple of milk cows. The Spanish decent land grant holders ran vast numbers of cattle and horses on native grass and knew the art of slow smoke cooking of the lean grass fed beef over mesquite for a tender, flavorful feast.

In the large cities both Back and Hispanic BBQ is enjoyed so it's become what it is over time and is enjoyed by all 'cept vegans & I think most of these cheat on diet when it comes to BBQ...trying hard not to judge here.

Good BBQ is available in all sections of the lower 48 but great BBQ well I've voiced my opinion on that and my personal favorite is from Texas, cooked over mesquite and no sauce on the side. Ribs, brisket, sausage & chicken (or Duck) served with cold potato salad, Dill pickle, sweet onion and a couple or three large Jalapenos on the side qualifies as my favorite meal.

Rick C,

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Well Rick
Because you out earned me due to being of the age class following the Gi's and I know you earned it. Coming in a generation later with no family examples to go big.
Mind you I once fancied a Six Pack Captain license.
I raced marathon canoe racing for more than ten years. That's how I knew about where EZL fishes. Those flatlanders call drainage ditches rivers, I used to live near ditch #10 in Dekalb county.
I am enthused that you got Salt Water fishing into your life experience.
I have four kayaks in my shed rafters. From Whitewater Slalom to Olympic solo. Missed Jimmy Carters Olympics because Russia was misbehaving in Afghanistan, comes around goes around
I grew up a river rat, walking distance from the Fox River https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
In the early eighties a friend had me party to a Lake Michigan Salmon fishing expedition. After the twenty pounder King caught at dawn not another fish came onboard. But I got the bug.
In 1987 a local paper advertisement listed a 17' boat for at the time a pricey $3500.00. But included down riggers, and outriggers .Four poles and at the time high toned Mitchell reels. and sundry assortment of Salmon lures. Hootchies and spoons.
I had the cash, and not a clue what I was about to purchase. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/16-17/models.html#cohasset
That was Thirty+ some years ago.. Mid 2000's the original 65hp Merc took a ****. My fault, never renewed the water pump impeller. Never did like 2strokes. Even the one powering my Ultralight Airplane.
Rick, bear with me.;)
That Whaler came into my life just before Mona. Being a Scorpio she is a water preson too. Karma? OK! I'm all for it.

I have never feared to pass the horizon. Whalers of 17ft class , in the 70's did it.
My only experience with MV Sweetie, offered was what I expect of a 17ft Boston Whaler
Four stroke engines rock.
Sound is like a Farmall tractor.
Tom you've an impressive freshwater background on the water as an athlete & sportsman. The six pack is a nice bit of knowledge of itself and is mandatory for all commercial boating and size dependent for personal boating craft, over 54 foot at one time, regs seem to constantly change.

The links are interesting. I've always been impressed with the Whalers and fished offshore on more than a few. They are extremely sea worthy. I'd compare them as the best in any given size, but not as comfortable as a deep V...caught in a blow thoughts of comfort get no notice however. We fished off Montauk N.Y. in a 28' Montauk, Whaler for a long day in running seas that I'd not even launch out in on the Gulf for a short test ride. The Captain was ace and we managed a nice catch of Tuna for our efforts.

I've owned one Whaler a 3 meter with 10 hp Yamaha that I mounted on a n electric davit to be used as a tender on my sport fisherman. I think that's the smallest ever Whaler, rated for 4, but all would have to hang over the gunnels to fit. Two adults and two small children still pretty cramped, never in danger of capsize or swamp though with a Whaler.

I envy the Fox river experience as a youth Tom and the Great Lakes experience which I've no experience on those big water lakes, but always wanted to boat, fish and explore them.

I wouldn't take for my time spent on the water and next to bikes boats are my favorite mode of recreational transport.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm receiving a lot of parts for various bike related projects including the e-V-twin which has made progress in test rides, but is currently in partial dis-assembly for necessary mods and swapping of motors, controllers and battery packs as well. Running the 48v.2k. motor and over amping with battery and controller is my favorite for a combination of decent speed with good range. The 72v. 3KW over amped is crazy fast, but range is really limited with a 20 amp pack and that's as large as I can fit in this fuel tank (which I love) so 48 v. over amped 2kw motor is my favorite configuration to this point and it's still fast enough for a heavy bike over 135 lbs. & pushes past 40 mph with ease. over amped it produces approximatly 4.4 hp & about 3800 watts. Peak watts 4,800 watts which equates to 6 plus horses for short runs of a few seconds. Plenty of power for a bicycle. The 72v. setup is off the hook power wise. I've played with both motor setup quite a bit & the 72v. needs a more substantial drive train setup which I'm working on. The 2kw setup is fine with 415 or 420 chain however.

Trailer tires, tubes (solid no air) & wheels came in and not looking forward to mounting them. 16" wheels & 2.4" tires and tubes I may need help!

New bike GPS speedo from China is out for delivery today as is an Axiom rack designated for my spare parts fixie pedal bike project. Large pannier bags arrived yesterday for hauling stuff on either the e- mountain bike or my fat pug ugly electric. A Messinger style Board track saddle came in from Pat as well for the e-V-twin build, so most of the parts for that bike project are in hand, none of which interfere with testing or riding the bike, but will add to the completed look..yet to be determined.

I'm also draining and prepping several bikes to move indoors and add to my homes decor as I have way too many bikes to ride and keep serviced at this point and I need some room to build more stuff. I'll enjoy looking at them each day and recall rides gone by. I think 4 or 5 to start with. My Simplex "Copper Gator", the hybrid and electrics will stand ready to ride for sure.

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
More bike stuff: the Sportsman board track saddle is well known on the forum and the quality is still top shelf I'm glad to say.

No flat tubes on 2.4" tires for a flat free experience on a trailer is a first for me though I've run the no flats on pedal bikes and found them to be ok, but harsh...like running 110 lb. pressure on skinny road tires & non-suspension frame: really fast but very harsh. I don't think this to be a problem in a slow speed trailer tire while riding a full air suspension mountain bike with electric power. One thing to stress buy the exact size solid tube to match the tire size. Any deviation will will cause mounting problems and directional stability. I can't see any possibility of ever rolling a tire over, but bending wheels yes. These tubes need 12 gauge or larger spokes if mounted on a full size bike that's going to be run off paved surfaces.

We will see.

This makes the third not inexpensive saddles I've purchased for this bike. I will use the other two on something eventually they are really nice and well made.

Rick C.

messinger saddle.jpg
trailer no flat set up.jpg
Old guy & 1915 e-V-twin .jpg

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I saw a little lot less crowd near the easier river access so I thought I could just use the wagon with my pulling it for maybe a bit more than 200 footsteps. Walking without lugging anything, I measured it to be roughly that.

I got side tracked when I saw the ocean fairly calm. I just went snorkeling, no underwater scooter.

It would have been a bit more that I want to carry, although I did once before with multiple trips. Put battery in while on the beach, that separated total weight on one of multiple trips.

Also, the eel grass and other stuff that can get past the plastic mesh and into prop shaft is not good. I cleaned it once, it did no harm. Only hassle. The amount of silt in the water is still in suspension from week of wind and waves. I would not been able to see it quick enough to stop tangling the prop.

I fared well with this and it was fun. Got used to the temperature of water after a while, but still only like 30 minutes I'm guessing.

My dry-suit would be nice to use, but for that air tanks are really necessary. The amount of lead used to compensate for buoyancy needs a buoyancy compensator vest. It is not really safe since with only a power inflator connection to the dry-suit you have to avoid water in your mouth far more than just clearing a snorkel.

I have at times without lead weights breathed into the neck seal to inflate dry-suit. Only once did I have a custom dry suit have both manual and power inflators all in one. About a year ago I had a crunch across ice at the edge of the lake I went into for just surface snorkeling. I think a powered wagon might be allowed, but no motors, even electric on that lake. I think if powered wheel chairs are OK, I might try for disabled plates on my powered wagon.

The thing about scuba using a buoyancy compensator is you are basically weightless floating. The egress is the problem. Maybe there are oceans on Mars with less gravity, my spine could handle walking with tanks there, not such anymore on Earth.

Symmetrical Drug-related Intertriginous and Flexural Exanthema (SDRIFE), I had a bout with a rash from Penicillin 20 years ago and about 6 weeks ago as well. The first time it was unkown to me or anyone I was allergic to Penicillin. The more recent episode was because of a mistake on the part of Oral Surgeon and assistant. I feel better as able to wear the wetsuit and get back out in the water.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
MT you've got it going on with the scuba!! Ear damage makes this great hobby a no can do for me, though I can snorkel to about 20 ft. with only mild pain. There were a couple of college girls that lived aboard (as employee caretakers) of a huge houseboat at the marina I used in Clear Lake, Tx. South Shore Harbor. They had a nice side gig & maintained the exterior, interior and submerged hulls of many of the craft in marina. Both beautiful girls and quite pleasant to deal with. They both started diving as young children and were very advanced divers. It was obvious, while walking the floating docks, which craft were being maintained by these two young ladies, both of whom went on to become medical Doctors. Hard workers, smart and beautiful...with a drive to succeed. Winners both. They wore the gear like it was a part of them, in or out of the water & made it all look so easy and fun.

Mini GPS ( Meilan off Ebay) came in and after three rides of under an hour each I'm convinced I made a good purchase. How can they make money on an item that cost me $26. with free shipping from China & delivered in less than 2 weeks? It's rechargeable 5v. off computer port. Not a Garmin but really serves my purposes with speed. distance, altitude and time plus some functions I've not tried to date such as history etc. It has an easy to employ backlight and large speed readout for it's size. Bummer that was only available in white when I place my order.

My mountain bike bars are crowded & the photo shows my attempt to hold in a spot for the photo.

Rick C.

GPS.jpg

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Rick,
Given that the upgraded controller and LCD screen I purchased for BLUE BAMBOO is currently redundant, I might just treat myself to one of those mini GPS units you just gave a positive review to. Really only just wanted the speedometer/distance function of the LCD, so rather than bother rewiring the plugs on the controller/LCD, I reckon the easy option is to get one of those Meilan GPS units. I know Meilan make a good product; BLUE BAMBOO is already fitted with their USB rechargeable tail lamp and indicator unit which I bought from a Hong Kong seller. I too wonder how they do it at that price point - but I'm glad they do.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for helping Steve I've never bothered to learn how to post a link on the forum.

I'm charging the GPS now for a ride tomorrow. The little 500mah batt is touted as 15hours, but I've some drone experience with them & all claims have been way off. So I'm pessimistic on the claim. They do charge fast on my laptop.

The ones stocked here by U.S. distributors are $50. free shipping, the ones from China (same unit) I paid $25. shipped and delivered in ten days, but that can vary by weeks at times.

Rick C.

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Went onto eBay and looked for the Meilan mini GPS unit. Plenty on there - all from Oriental traders but all were the white coloured versions, which wouldn't be my preference. So I opted instead for a comparable black coloured USB rechargeable unit listed by a UK based seller costing 18 quid. Only really need it for the speedo function to help me stay within legal limits when I need to. Going wireless/rechargeable whenever possible gets a big thumbs up from me. Just keeps things so much more tidy.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
In reality Pete speedo, altimeter and odometer were my concerns in GPS functionality, my e-MB "Captain America" has that red, white & blue (mostly white) vibe that is currently so socially offensive it seems, yet the white is ok given the whole. My first choice on accessory color selection is always black however.

Recent trip photos: check out the lunch rib & thick sliced BBQ brisket (homemade buns) basket from Tall Paul's located in Rocky, Ok.. Heavy power food to get an Old guy home on! This is some seriously good Texas style BBQ made in Oklahoma. I may ride the 25 mile round trip today just for the BBQ. Simply delicious! Some restaurant's are back open locally with guidelines in place.

Rick C.

Tall Paul's Rib's & brisket.jpg