Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
You may have noticed that the last photo (above) shows that the saddle frame bares on the seat post. I want the majority of my weight to be carried by the seat post and not the seat stays. The seat post is designed to carry the riders weight, not the stays. The seat stays still carry some weight and look board track proper, but now the load is spread out the length of the saddle pan.

I've installed the battery tank once again; this time charged and fully functional, including the charging port under the gas cap. I used leather belts to hold the battery in fixed position for loading into the tank with tank inverted. I also installed a rubber mat under the battery so the pack can't sip around inside the tank housing with straps in place

Rick C.

battery tank 1.jpg
battery tank 3.jpg

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Rick,
Was worried all the standard holes in the sheet metal wouldn't work for you but I can see you put them to good use. As far as the frame stay tubes supporting weight I haven't seen any bend yet and your frame has the larger 3/4" upper tubes. I usually leave just 3/4" tube stick-out above the lug so a seat clamp can be used if the frame becomes a cruiser at some point. Letting this stick-out contact the seat support bracket will certainly take the load off the strut brackets. Everything is looking real nice!
Pat

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Pat other than the hole for the fuel bung both the tank and tool box were set up to go with standard electric key lock and common grommets. I drilled the bottom plate to attach the sediment bowl and battery strap brackets which were afterthoughts and not necessary. I want the finished look to unmistakably be that of a Sportsman Flyer and it's coming together with the addition of just a few more parts. Now I just need to get the motor case completed well enough be seen as a credible part of the build and not pose an embarrassment sitting in your frame.

The stock seat tube stub was almost the perfect length I inserted a standard saddle tube which I cut & capped to give me the exact saddle height I was wanting & then fabbed the saddle brackets to mate with your standard board track mounts on the stays. Easy mods that spread the load though I'd heartily agree your stays weren't going to bend and the original racers were made the same way. I tend to overkill my builds when it comes to strength.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I have made a few posts that used a handlebar stem wedge instead of the seat post clamp. On the .120" wall frames it's pretty hard to clamp the heavier wall tube. Makes for a nice clean look, too.
Though I've used the wedge stems for all manner of problematic fastener problems I'd not thought of that particular application. It's a good clean solution though.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'll mount the Worksman drum hub today and get the chain lines set up to the coaster rear. I'd really like to test ride in the next few days. I'll have it all to do again when the rear drum wheel and fender come in. I bought two Vee tires/tubes for both front and rear so swapping tires won't be necessary just chain setup.

Still work to be done, but time to finally move it outside my house!

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Moved the bike outside for the dirty work, setup and testing. Installed all three chains and rode a few blocks & realized my reduction gear spacing places the primary and secondary chains too close to each other they clear each other by maybe 1/64" just too close for comfort 3/16" would be ok. Pulled the chains & reduction gear and will rebuild, actually a pretty good day all said, as the chain lines on both sides clear engine case, frame tubes, tire, wiring and the drive off stand while lining up and still have room to widen the reduction drive, so that's the good news.

My house however looks like I've been robbed!

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
My house however looks like I've been robbed!

Rick C.
A good day's progress Rick.
I hear you on the state of the house. Same here. There was a time when, after working on the bike in the lounge during the day, I would tidy everything away at close of play. But what with Jen not even caring if I work on the bike in front of her, and the fact no-one is ever likely to pay us a visit during Covid lock-down, I don't bother clearing away my tools and junk on a daily basis anymore.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pete I spent a morning organizing my tool storage and garage area with still more to do, but no remaining clutter inside the house and that was the point of tidying up the shed. With ten bikes on the garage floor I've basically no room to do much work inside. Therefore my new 14" mini lathe remains crated in storage though I'm actively acquiring the necessary tooling to turn metal. Not an expensive outlay compared to outfitting a mill which are needful things if ones to do any real work with them.

I may just utilize a few of my bikes as home interior decorations to gain floor space in the garage or cart them off to the container for storage. Though I ride everyday year round three or four bikes are plenty of transport for my needs...yet I continue to build. Professional help is available for people like me.

Since I'm waiting on parts I'll concentrate on building a wider reduction gear & refining carb & motor case details for a few days. I still have a magneto housing to fabricate as well.

102 degrees here yesterday and heat index off the charts so I'm packing it in after 1300 hour & getting under air conditioning 6 hours is quite realistic work time for a this Old guy.

Have some fun; build something and ride often.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
The one guy I didn't want to see the electric V-twin until completed stopped by yesterday and of course the bike was outside. Old Grumpy is a V twin guru engine builder with encyclopedic knowledge of all things on two wheels or three. His disposition, however, borders on evil and he has no people skills at all. I imagine he hates electric motor transport of any type as much as he hates cops (he's been in the system), He walked by the electric V-twin without a glance and got down to business. I had the part he required and he started back to his truck and almost stopped at the bike and did a half circle around it and almost grinned. His expletive. "Cool s*#!" I believe to be the first and probably only compliment I'll ever receive from him.

Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Waiting on a few items from China etc. and decided not to do work that is better left till after these things arrive. That's on the electric V-twin, but I've pulled maintenance on several of my other bikes and made a few minor changes and adjustments that makes riding each a little better and I've been riding most mornings.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Almost 8 months into the electric V-twin project and actually thought I'd spent much more time on her than I have. Of course she's not completed that's true and I've no real idea when that might be. I do think I'm ahead of schedule. That's an afterthought because this isn't reality TV and I've no supposed deadline to stress over or budget to come in under either. Compared to current world events it's not comparable in any way. I'm just having fun with it.

Rear wheel came in & thanks to Rich, Pat's brother, for lacing it up. Great work and I'm very pleased. It's on the bike and spins true. I've adjuster and pinch bolt on order so it's wait on more small stuff that's critical to having a bike that works. Really haven't taken photos in almost a month but nothing really informative going on here at what I hope is the tail end of the build mechanically/electrically.

Now I'm going for a ride on a beautiful day here in Indian Territory!

Rick C.

Rick C.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Same story here Rick. Feel like I've gone off the boil on my BLUE BAMBOO build while waiting for its stainless side panels to show up. Forecast here is for a three day 'heatwave' (Don't laugh, that's what 78 degrees is referred to hereabouts) - so at least I'm hoping to squeeze in a few more rides on the Solo.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Good morning Pete. It's a good thing hurry isn't important. It seems the insignificant things I order arrive quite quickly while those I'm ready to employ don't so I can't. My analog VOM did come in & I'll be glad to have an instrument that actually works when required. I've not had great joy from the many digitals I've purchased.

I'm setting up for a morning ride and then some shopping. Mid eighties for a forecast high today after a few inches of rain the last seven days it will be a bit humid here in the semi arid Territory but bone dry for much of the remainder of Summer. Mornings are normally quite pleasant even on the hottest days, which do get brutal, and I'm a morning guy. It works out.

Enjoy

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hot here in the Territory today & I'm staying in the shade with books and papers.

Rear brake parts arrived today just Sturmey cable adjuster and cable pinch bolt. I've bulk cable and sheath aplenty and the brake lever is already installed. I plan on hookup while it' cool tomorrow a.m. I've some wiring alterations in mind as well. Reduction drive parts here tomorrow I'm told so closer to finalizing the motor drive line and final alignment of chains. So mechanically it's rideable with brakes connected & chains installed. The rest can wait till I've tested her out for a couple of hundred miles to see what decides to fall off. Hope it's not me.

Rick C.