Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

Discussion in 'Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles' started by indian22, Jan 3, 2015.

1. indian22

indian22 Well-Known Member

While on holiday in London some years ago (decades?) I had to walk up two flight of steps on the bus to find a seat. Rick C.

fasteddy likes this.
  2. fasteddy

fasteddy Well-Known Member

Pete, the Aero Cycle is a beauty. I can understand how removing ones self from the car with any level of decorum as one grows older may be unobtainable. I do feel sorry for the gentleman who wanted the car so badly that he convinced himself that getting in and out was possible. That had to be one of the more humiliating times in his life as well as disappointing.

Steve.

3. indian22

I got a start good on the disc brake adapter for the rear wheel. A rotary table made short work of hole placement for the 6 bolt brake rotor pattern and the 3 bolt hub adapter pattern which secures the rotor plate to the hub. I also cut the center section out, but will need to trim the complete affair to final size and shape, though it would function as is.

The next step is adjusting the swing arm dimensions to assure clearances with all moving parts and adding horizontal drops from 3/16" plate which will add a couple of inches to the swing arm length. That small amount of increase will also aid in chain clearance with the stays. The very small diameter of the 27 tooth sprocket is also helpful. On the brake side the rotor should easily clear the stays as well, but I'll verify. If necessary I'll widen the stays before going any further, no big deal.

Once the parts and dimensions are finalized I'll decide on gussets for the swing arm frame. The pivot bushing is a done deal, other than assembly. The Keystone mount will be designed to accept and secure the swing arm pivot as is.

I'm not concerned that the forks need additional width to clear the cycle wheels, tires and brake rotor. It's an easy fix & one I'll get around to. Lots of work to do when it comes to the Keystone mount, even without considering the sidecar mount provisions.

I actually have solutions in mind to address the design considerations faced, but may come up with better, later? Rick C.

4. Harold_B

Harold_B Member

There's nothing like having the right tool for the job and knowing how to use it. Looking forward to progress pics Rick.

5. indian22

Even though I'm in a retro phase Harold, trying not to depend on the machine shop, but building primarily with hand tools, properly locating & perfectly centering 9 holes is just too time consuming at home. Mount the proper dividing plate on the rotary table and drill 6 holes, change the plate settings and drill 3 more and your done...10 minutes tops & it's dead on every time.

I'm actually posting on the V- twin info to my new thread along with all the new photos and updates, but I made a mistake & posted that last one one to this thread. I'll use this one for misc. & Simplex/Peashooter updates as they occur. Thanks to all who are following. Rick C.

6. indian22

I've had some great weather to glaze windows and paint house trim etc & prepare for Winter the last two weeks, but my thoughts were on the V-twin, especially the swing arm design. I've decided to re purpose a fat bike bottom bracket and rear triangle for the basis of the active arm. It's an old steel frame and very robust though I will gusset for additional strength. This will give me plenty of clearance for wheel components and chain line clearance. Also the seat and chain stays are not tapered front to rear, but are parallel each to the other. Since I like the design & it serves the purpose well; I decided to use it. Of course larger size tires will also fit this swing arm, but I'll stick with 3" or under on the back.

You guys that follow my builds know I often call for "mulligans" along the way, 'cause I'm not keeping score just refining as I go. It's not the quickest or the least expensive way to build, but it's my way, just having fun! Eccentric, Rick C.

7. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

Just so you don't think about cracking the throttle while thinking, and fall off the latter, LOL Should work good..........Curt

8. indian22

Curtis at 70 yrs. young I probably should give up on ladders And house painting as well. I'm not very good at it., but enjoy the activity outdoors. If I fall then that means the ladder has to come with me. lol