New in frame 4 stroke kit in development!

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
W/ the WhisperDrive in test mode and Dan's unit shipped for his build to begin. We're very happy w/ the performance of this motor and our "WhisperDrive DriveTrain" thus far! As seen in "FireBelly's amateur vids you can watch w/ your kids" on YouTube it is nice sounding, user friendly, safe, pleasing to the eye and proving to be reliable! So basically more miles, any revisions and scale up production! Thanks for the continued support and input!

dance1

So (at FireBelly we never sleep) our next product to enter into development/test phase is a concept proven by a few others on this site and many others before them since Leonardo Da Vinci anyway. It is, of course, the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT).

dnut

The FireBelly Cycles "Variato" 2 Speed Automatic DriveTrain (GiroRapido!) will, we believe, truly offer Everyone (from Honda/HS to the GenMotor e.g. Lifan, HF, GX100 etc crowds alike) A Solution to the Shortcomings of 1 Speed Set-Ups. W/ a low speed ratio of 3.1:1 (14.88:1 w/ a 10/48 final) and a high speed ratio of 1.4:1 (6.72:1 w/ 10/48 final). The WhisperDrive, by comparison, is 1.816 (8.72:1 w/ 10/48 final).

In addition, this set up offers 4 or 5 (memory is failing me right now) settings on the driven pulley to adjust for your terrain, style of riding etc. i.e. you can adjust when high gear is engaged sooner if flatter, later if hilly etc.

Thanks, Stay Tuned! Dan, Evan and Charity FireBelly Cycles.

.wee.

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
Sweet, can't wait to see the cvt and 2 speed. Will either work for a rear rack mounted honda. I have one I'm gonna build for my girlfriend that I want a belt drive for .

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
oOpS! Forgot the Honda/HS ratios are: Low 6.2:1 (29.76:1 w/ 10/48 final) and High 2.8:1(13.44 w/ 10/48 final).

And FireBelly would like to thank BeerBattered for helping Sponser and Test this Venture!

Salute! Grazie! Cheers!

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Glack,

CVT = Auto 2 speed! Due Velocita! So Auto 2 Speed it is! Capisce? Oohh somebody stop me w/ this Italian stuff but it's just so fun!

Sua capita elettroliti (It's got electrolytes)!

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
holy moley this is one looooooooong thread

its pretty cool that we get to ask questions and share thoughts with those who are developing the product
most other products in life is just a wait and see what they come out with kinda thing

oOpS! Forgot the Honda/HS ratios are: Low 6.2:1 (29.76:1 w/ 10/48 final) and High 2.8:1(13.44 w/ 10/48 final).
so are you saying you currently have a build in progress or on the drawing board for the honda?

i also see you have 2 separate gear ratios for the honda posted
are these ratios 2 different trannys or are they for a 2 speed?

as a honda owner i am very excited to hear more

i also noticed that the clutch and belt are exposed to the elements
if we happen to get caught in the rain do ya think that there might be slippage problems?

by the way i think that the see through plastic looks very cool

thanks
jared

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Q. so are you saying you currently have a build in progress or on the drawing board for the honda?

A.yes

Q.i also see you have 2 separate gear ratios for the honda posted
are these ratios 2 different trannys or are they for a 2 speed?

A.they are for a 2 speed auto trans

C.as a honda owner i am very excited to hear more

R.sweet!

Q.i also noticed that the clutch and belt are exposed to the elements
if we happen to get caught in the rain do ya think that there might be slippage problems?

A. No the production unit of the WhisperDrive will have sprung tensioner and slippage shouldn't be an issue w/ quality belts and pulleys.

C.by the way i think that the see through plastic looks very cool

R.Very Good!

Thanks a lot Jared I think you'll like the 2 speed auto; very low for off the line torque and all the top your motor will pull!

.wee.

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
FBC Variato project going great! Basic design is complete and as usual convention has been properly round filed (subvert the dominant paradigm) in exchange for grace and elegance.

Should recieve the rest of the integral parts today and really get hammering away at it. Also have another set up on it's way for simultaneous HF and Honda-HS builds.

This is by far our most exciting project yet! I'm Jumpin outta ma skin wit excitement!

P.S. Dan should be havin' pics of his WhisperDrive build soon, me thinks.

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Will the honda 2 speed be able to be mounted verticlely for a rear rack mount?

No, it's not designed for that app. Not that anything is out of the ? but FireBelly is primarilly an in frame mb co. Props to those who've already pretty much nailed that (rackmount) down! Again, don't write us off on anything, but in frames are our focus.

Here's a couple o' pics of the Platform for the FBC VariAuto ProtoType 4Stroke 2Speed Automatic DriveTrain (HarborFreight Version).

We'll do this one build off style!

Shimano Deore hubs (disc rear) w/ 11ga spokes and double walled rims. Shimano Deore 9 sp rear. Old '70's vintage B17 Brooks saddle, will get aluminum sprocket and adapter.

Simultaneously, we'll be assembling a Specialized Hard Rock (of HardBox fame) for the Honda-HS version.

Stay Tuned!

xct2

Attachments

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Cool, Dualling Builders!

Dan, looks like we need to raise that motor up a bit so your pedals clear! The cranks should clear under and the pedals should be out far enough for your feet to easilly clear.

The "VariAuto" Proto Transmission is coming along nicely. The width is a challenge, for sure, but the payoff should be golden!

Update pics to follow shortly!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
COOL COOL COOL!!!!!!!!!! Just did the shake down run! No peddles or muffler. Ran awesome! Friends at the local hardware store about flipped out. (really is a beautiful drive and engine) They were saying how cool it sounded. I said it would sound even better with an exhaust pipe and they about freaked! Was funny. They didn't believe me until I pointed to were a pipe should be. (put the original pipe to the lil box muffler on so it would have some restriction) Sun was going down and had no lights so quick dash around town. A woman ran to her car and chased me down. Wanted to know where to get one for a step threw frame. (Future project? lol)

Home run TS! purty work

I am literally high on this. Today was the culmination of 4 years of man hours and it made a really cool old world, old school motor bike sound....

usflg

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Exhaust is actually pretty easy w/ the right tools. Mine curves up and inward toward the seat post then down and out around the gas tank on the rear rack. Dan requested m/c style so his will go up forward and down in front, under and out the back. Probably the toughest part is the bends, but not really that tough ( a little practice ).

We decided to impliment the header from the motor 'cause it lets out at an easy spot to route the exhaust away from the riders leg.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That looks great! It looks like the exhaust is going to be tricky.
Thanks Civl. The exhaust was a major concern. Comes out of the engine at such an odd place and angle. On my version, I left the cooling shroud on and the HF runs amazingly cool. Shut down for 5 mins and you can touch the header with your finger and it is only warm! No kidding.

I did a long ride today. This thing is awesome. I really thought for all the hurdles, not gonna be worth it but is pretty killer so far.

Really cool thing about today, got some hard numbers. Big time thanks again Civl, you rock! (the mount is or was just for a test run)

.flg.

I am going to make the sound of this set up a ring tone. Is really cool! Will post when I figure out how. all are welcome to it.

Attachments

Last edited: