Need 4 Stroke Kit Advice

GoldenMotor.com

datonamanmike

Jul 11, 2008

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I have 3 of these kits. I will sell them for 195usd each and 29usd shipping. The factory sent me 4 for testing. I have tested 1 of them. The Motor is HS and very good. The gear box is a JL Knock off and is very noisy and I will not sell these other than the ones I have if anyone is interested. I must tell you, these 4 stroke kits have promise. But are not there yet. That is why I am selling these and will let them go cheap. I only have 3, so for those that are interested, let me know if you want one. Here is your chance to see what these are like and maybe some one can come up with a solution for the gear box loudness. They sound like a School bus in Reverse trying to climb Mount Evans !! If you can get over the loud gear box issue, I guess they are ok..

datonamanmike

Jul 11, 2008
dax im truly sorry i didnt know you had thses kits
i would have bought from you

yours was the first site i checked but your
site says out of stock
i guess thats just the titan motor
ill have to learn from my mistakes

thanks for the info on the gearbox
ill see what i can do with it

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Don't know if it will fit your engine, but I know the engines are extremely similar.

The cable is for the engager- there is a centrifugal clutch, but for pedalling, you can disconnect the gearbox altogether.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I have 3 of these kits. I will sell them for 195usd each and 29usd shipping. The factory sent me 4 for testing. I have tested 1 of them. The Motor is HS and very good. The gear box is a JL Knock off and is very noisy and I will not sell these other than the ones I have if anyone is interested. I must tell you, these 4 stroke kits have promise. But are not there yet. That is why I am selling these and will let them go cheap. I only have 3, so for those that are interested, let me know if you want one. Here is your chance to see what these are like and maybe some one can come up with a solution for the gear box loudness. They sound like a School bus in Reverse trying to climb Mount Evans !! If you can get over the loud gear box issue, I guess they are ok..
Dagnabbit!!! Bad timing. :( I'm cursed, I tell'ya. :confused:
I just missed a HT deal locally. New motor wasn't running, but the guy was asking $100 for the motor AND the bike. <sigh>

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
I have one of the walnut grinder gearbox. So far, it's been dependable. But for how long is anybody's guess. I heard that some of the GB's had issue as well?? I'm waiting till the Hoot goes off to the junkyard in the sky and then I'll upgrade to a CVT (torque converter) set up. Both the GB and HL are too light duty for the stress placed on them. The backlash is really hard on them. And I doubt the Chinese are very anal about tolerances or heli-cut gears.
I want to get a bumper sticker for my bike that states,
"Loud gearboxes save lives"...

datonamanmike

Jul 11, 2008
well i got my kit 90% done
the motor is mounted tank too
it runs well gear box does seem loud
i read about putting a small amount of gear oil in the gearbox to help quiet it
has anyone tryed this ???
all thats left it to attach chain
but im waiting for wider pedel kit from
Bicycle Engines.com
cause the ones that came with the kit are just the arms and my schwinn del ray uses a one piece type
i ordered one and it should be here early this week
i dont want to attach drive chain without the pedel chain in place
so far i must say this kit is much better then the 2 stroke kit MOHO

datonamanmike

Jul 11, 2008
well i got my kit 100 % today i like it but the gearbox is very noisy
i think i will order the Grubee gearbox
other then that it is a great kit the moter runs and idles real good much less vibration then the 2 stroke
ill post pics tomarow

datonamanmike

Jul 11, 2008
green grease ??? never heard of it
can ya give me more info on it ??

should i pack it full?
i did put A small amount of gear oil in it
enuff to cover the bottom of the gears

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
OK- in the interest of full diclosure, I have not had a Hoot or worked on it. I have a Grubee Skyhawk II- but I can't imagine it would make a difference when it comes to grease.

My recommendation for "Green Grease" is simply based on my own experience. I very sticky, stringy grease seems to work well because it clings to the gears. The "Green Grease" I got at Autozone fits the bill. It is waterproof and marine grease seems to be the stickiest and stringiest.

On the Grubee, I used a little grease on the gears- loud. I used thick fluid- quiet, but eventual slippage. I used auto trans fluid- still quiet, still slipped.

The used about 1/2 tube of grease in the gearbox- that would be a total of 7 or 8 ounces, and it does not slip and is pretty quiet. I think the reason so much is needed is that even with sticky grease, the gears turn fast enough to sling it off and if there is so much in there that no matter how it is slung off, it has nowhere to go and the grease continually gets back on the gears, it will work.

Caus-I-Can

Sep 15, 2008
Hi guys been reading nd not trying to be clever but with that much grease in their i would lean to the theory that it is the grease that like you say has been slung onto the inside of the casings is what is actually acting a soft insulation the absorbs sound waves all thou i do agree the "green grease ) is the best option! I have used it a few times and agree, also gear oilis generlly not recomended as the quality of bearings between gearbox and clutch isnt high so sepage occurs easily nd of course slippage.

p.s. i think geen gease is known as gear packing gerase/bearing grease or the one i get is just multipurpose grease (its dark green) should be able to get from auto supply stores

let me no what you think

Last edited:

datonamanmike

Jul 11, 2008
thanks for you input "cause"
so give me your opinon on how much to use
i have some synthetic bearing grease
think im ok useing that ????

Caus-I-Can

Sep 15, 2008
sounds ok, i tend to go with the motive of "there's only one way to find out".

any way i would take of open gearbox and clean out (i use petrol). then dry and cover all gears with abou 2-3 mm of grease and smear ova chain i general smear enough so each link is apprx 1/3 full with grease then close up nd c how u go.

if still noise here in Aus we can get a spray can of sound deadening stuff for auto panel
refinishing i heard it being use spray inside of casing

and also heard of a rubberise spray pack that u spray on the out side

datonamanmike

Jul 11, 2008
well the gearbox didnt last long
i was on a 7 mile trip (the first one)
and 1/2 way the gearbox quit
it just spins
the motor runs great
gearbox is junk
guess ill need that grube after all
i shoulda just went with dax

i emailed boy go fast waiting to see what comes of it

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
well the gearbox didnt last long
i was on a 7 mile trip (the first one)
and 1/2 way the gearbox quit
it just spins
the motor runs great
gearbox is junk
guess ill need that grube after all
i shoulda just went with dax

i emailed boy go fast waiting to see what comes of it
Oh man, that sucks. Have you heard from BGF yet?