n00b With new china motor stumped

GoldenMotor.com

ToxicRat

Jan 21, 2014
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
if that brass fitting comes out, then you've probably lost the little spring that is supposed to be under it inside the cap - won't work without that spring

as a temp fix till you can get a new cap, strip back the rubber of the spark plug wire to expose a little bit of the metal wire, then wrap it around top of plug and hold it there with a small nut

that should get you running again
Ok so i stripped the bootwire and wrapped the copper wire around the Top of the sparkplug, still no spark..

ToxicRat

Jan 21, 2014
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
You don't take the cdi apart , the plug wire screws off on a stock 2 stroke box.
I cant get it to budge but after trying what Crassius suggested with no effect, I don't think that would really help either. I am completely new to all of this though so please correct me if I'm wrong

ToxicRat

Jan 21, 2014
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
all the wires are securely attached to the coil and the magnets are still real strong, I haven't removed that plastic almost cast-like (For a broken limb) covering wrapped around the coil or anything yet but it looks good from the outside. I have taken several pictures but my phone wont allow me to post them on the site, something about having to resize them. :( and I'm not sure if this would indicate a bad coil or not but I grabbed the white and green wires and spun the wheel and felt nothing.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Re: no multi meter, but...

No the voltage has to be processed through the cdi which stores the energy till it reaches a certain level then discharges. The only shock you would feel would be at the plug boot.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Re: no multi meter, but...

Remove the plug, reconnect to the CDI, rest the spark-plug on the head (making sure that the plug's metal is in contact with the head). Lift the rear-wheel and give it a good spin by hand (don't squeeze the clutch). If you're in a dimly lit area, you should see a spark in the plug's gap.

Step #2: buy an Ohmmeter.

ToxicRat

Jan 21, 2014
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
IT IS NOT THE PLUG! The plug works in a different motor and as i said before i have two plugs no way the both went bad i need advice on something other than THE PLUG

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Since money is an issue, just swap out the magneto coil and CDI with your friends to see what works and what doesn't with yours.

If you could borrow a volt meter from a neighbor, you could easily find out if it is the magneto coil or CDI:

Disconnect the CDI from the magneto coil. Connect an AC voltmeter to the magneto coil wires (blue and black). Push the bike with the spark plug removed and see how much voltage is generated. Up to 50 volts is good. Drastically less indicates a bad magneto coil. If the voltage is sufficient then it's probably the CDI.

As a reminder, if you left the bike out in the rain or rode it in the rain, the magneto coil may have become corroded.

A spark plug wire disconnecting while the engine is running may also damage the CDI. It's also important to ground the plug against the head when checking for spark.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

ToxicRat

Jan 21, 2014
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
No Greg, not yet. Things are real hard for me right now. I haven't been Able to get a proper reading, and Finding a meter or a ride is difficult next to impossible. I think It is the CDI though, i got Some sort of reading from magneto And the CDI had one too but barley shocks my finger.idk whats the problem :-||

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
One more thing to try, remove the screw that holds the black wire to the magneto and sand or scrape both the wire end and the contact surface on the mag, that is the ground wire.