my four stroke build

GoldenMotor.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Front-exit dropouts may allow the wheel to be pulled out of the dropout under power.

I used to battle that on pedal bikes. My first motorized bicycle had front-exits, and I had to use knurled washers to keep the wheel from moving around.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Front-exit dropouts may allow the wheel to be pulled out of the dropout under power.

I used to battle that on pedal bikes. My first motorized bicycle had front-exits, and I had to use knurled washers to keep the wheel from moving around.
Thanks for the explanation, Aleman.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Excuse me for asking, but why is it a good thing to replace these dropouts?

I need to know, as one of my future builds has semi-horizontals.
===================================

I found on a little 20 inch wheel kids bike and some others I trash picked they have this bracket that fits in a slot in the drop out flat area. Then the bracket extends down to the axle and fits between the outer edge of the drop outs on both sides. These bracket there have a hole that fits over the axle and then you have the nut put on the axle tighten the brackets in place in between like a sandwich and the hooks on the other end of the brakets make it so the wheel cannot fall out. This is something I guess that some of you have seen and I'll try and get a picture of the parts and post. The slot in the tube to the drop outs for these brackets I suspect could be weakening the fork so this could still be a way to go if the way the brackets attached were not using any slot in the fork tube, but instead a boss with threads.

MT

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
===================================

I found on a little 20 inch wheel kids bike and some others I trash picked they have this bracket that fits in a slot in the drop out flat area. Then the bracket extends down to the axle and fits between the outer edge of the drop outs on both sides. These bracket there have a hole that fits over the axle and then you have the nut put on the axle tighten the brackets in place in between like a sandwich and the hooks on the other end of the brakets make it so the wheel cannot fall out. This is something I guess that some of you have seen and I'll try and get a picture of the parts and post. The slot in the tube to the drop outs for these brackets I suspect could be weakening the fork so this could still be a way to go if the way the brackets attached were not using any slot in the fork tube, but instead a boss with threads.

MT
This is called a chain tensioner. They're typically used in rear-facing dropouts like BMX bikes, but you could use them in horizontal droputs to keep the axle from being pulled out the front.

Last edited:

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
okay, I HAVE to build my Schwinn with the motor "inside"... This bike is gonna be a blast to look at, as well as scoot! It was cool meeting you all in the rain yesterday too! We are hardcore huh? lol

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
It has been awhile since I updated this so here it is . I really didn't like the single crown fork I had on the bike so I switched over to a dual crown Marzocchi bomber fork . I am still waiting to get my motor back . One thing I learned in messing with cars is that there are two people you don't rush . One is a painter and the other is a engine builder .

Here is a picture of it with the new forks since it is a dual crown fork i will need to build a narrower tank for it now unless I can modifiie the one i already have made without it looking to bad .

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Really sweet looking bike. I love the forks! They fit a 1" head tube? Can't wait to see this bike complete.
Thanks , Yeah they fit with mixing and matching bearings and bearing cups and a little bit of machining of the cups .They give the bike a different look and feel for sure .

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Lookin real sweet Bro....is that a 24" wheel up front, or just an illusion? Liking those forks as well!

dnut
Thanks scotto, No its a 26 up front as well . Funny someone thought it had a 29 inch rear rim on it in another picture . I guess its just the angle the pictures were taken .

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks scotto, No its a 26 up front as well . Funny someone thought it had a 29 inch rear rim on it in another picture . I guess its just the angle the pictures were taken .
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for the update, hope the engine comes soon......the waiting game sucks.

dnut

Last edited:

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
The early 80's schwinn frames hold up well . I do gusset them and weld them in a few places . On the four stroke i changed the rear drop outs for piece of mind as well . They are a great frame to motorize ....

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
I got some good news today , The motor is done and was shipped out today . I can finally finish this build . I have a few things to powder coat still and I need to make a new top motor mount .

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
I got home from the track Saturday and My motor was here waiting for me . I started to put it back together here are a couple of pictures .
I need to get a few things powder coated still .